HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   With all the centers we have, could Richards play a wing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=156538)

Nuclear 07-31-2005 12:21 AM

With all the centers we have, could Richards play a wing?

Do you think he could play a wing on the Flyers? Think Hitch would ever put him in that position?

Diesel 07-31-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear
Do you think he could play a wing on the Flyers? Think Hitch would ever put him in that position?

He doesn't need to.

Gagne-Carter-Sharp/Roenick

Kapanen-Primeau-Sharp/Roenick

Knuble-Richards-Radivojvich

Brashear-Handzus-Stevenson

Handzus is better than a 4th line center, but that is the roll he will play, i think, at least to start the season. If either of the two rookie centers struggles, Hitch could easily plug Handzus into one of the other lines. Actually, the main thing I expect both Carter and Richards to struggle with, at least at first, is face-offs. Young centers coming into the league often aren't quite strong enough yet to out-muscle some of the bigger veteran centers. I think you'll see them move Carter to wing sooner than Richards, though. If he struggles, I can see them moving him to right wing and moving Roenick back to center on that line.

blah 07-31-2005 04:31 AM

Carter would move to RW if they wanted to keep Richards, Handzus, and Carter on the top 2 lines.

Gert B Frobe 07-31-2005 07:02 AM

Richards should be kept at center if at all possible. He seems like a natural center - much more so than Carter - and Roenick can play wing without a problem.

Rex88 07-31-2005 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineers
Richards should be kept at center if at all possible. He seems like a natural center - much more so than Carter - and Roenick can play wing without a problem.

I agree with you - his spot should really stay center - Sharp,JR,RJU and likely Carter would seem more likely to transition to the wing if needed.

GKJ 07-31-2005 08:01 AM

Downie would play wing. I read a few places where he is listed as a RW.

MojoJojo 07-31-2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
He doesn't need to.

Gagne-Carter-Sharp/Roenick

Kapanen-Primeau-Sharp/Roenick

Knuble-Richards-Radivojvich

Brashear-Handzus-Stevenson

That line up shows exactly why he needs to move to wing.

And I predict that both Carter and Richards will see time at both wing and C, on every line.

Liquidrage* 07-31-2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
Handzus is better than a 4th line center, but that is the roll he will play, i think, at least to start the season.

I bet you Handzus leads all our centers in ice time just like last year.

I doubt he plays with those linemates. Richards is more likely to get the typical 4th line duty.

Also, I'd say there's a better chance of Carter moving to wing then Richards. Richards seems like the exact type of player Hitch would love. He probaly does all the *little* things you'd want a center to do better then Carter.

But I think both will play center to start the year.

FlyersHomer DM03 07-31-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I bet you Handzus leads all our centers in ice time just like last year.

agree with that

for as good as carter and richards WILL BE, they need some time...they are practically going from jr's to the NHL minus a few phantoms games...and in the mean time, we need a center to lead the team, Primeau on the defensive end and Handzus on the offensive (and defensive too) end

Roger's Pancreas* 07-31-2005 03:19 PM

Carter would be switched to wing instead of Richards. Richards was voted to be the best at faceoffs last year in the OHL and last year in the A was trusted to take all the important faceoffs. Combine that ability with his defensive play and he has all the important tools to be the better center.

blah 07-31-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineers

Roenick and Sharp are already going to be playing RW.