HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumor: Next Winter Classic: Flyers To Visit Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1566575)

RinaldoZac 12-22-2013 08:43 PM

Next Winter Classic: Flyers To Visit Capitals
 
Eklund: According to two sources tonight next year's Winter Classic will the Philadelphia Flyers visiting the nation's capital to face the Washington Capitals. The outdoor series will also continue with Montreal, St. Louis, San Jose and Minnesota, and Tampa leading the list to host the games. An Announcement regarding the Caps and Flyers could be made soon. (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...pitals/1/56624)

laundryman 12-22-2013 08:54 PM

I really don't like the idea of multiple outdoor games.

Go For It 12-22-2013 08:58 PM

How the hell would Tampa host a game?

LegionOfDoom91 12-22-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laundryman (Post 76647331)
I really don't like the idea of multiple outdoor games.

Yup, much like every good thing that happens in the NHL Bettman & Co. felt the need to run this into the ground as well.

whitstifier 12-22-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laundryman (Post 76647331)
I really don't like the idea of multiple outdoor games.

What! Why? I think there should be even more.

FlyersFan61290 12-22-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitstifier (Post 76649935)
What! Why? I think there should be even more.

Yeah, every game should be played outdoors! :laugh:

Dirty but Good 12-22-2013 11:01 PM

I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-A rematch of the previous Stanley Cup series
-The top regular season of the east vs top team west
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

I doubt they really need to plan it a full year before hand.

The Dream 12-22-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewcrew8 (Post 76653795)
I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-A rematch of the previous Stanley Cup series
-The top regular season of the east vs top team west
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

I doubt they really need to plan it a full year before hand.

If Eklund is right, here is a list of the winter classic teams:

Philadelphia - 3
Pittsburgh - 2
Washington - 2
Detroit - 2
Rangers, Chicago, Buffalo, Boston - 1

I am okay with keeping the winter classic in big markets, then I would prefer to move the stadium series all around the NHL to places you might not expect them, e.g. Dodger Stadium. Also I don't understand why people are so unhappy with 6 outdoor games in a season, I like it.

JVR21 12-22-2013 11:13 PM

They're really beating the outdoor games to death. There's nothing special about the Winter Classic if they're going to have 5 outdoor games in the span of a month. Not much of a "classic"....

ayshplaysh 12-22-2013 11:21 PM

Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.

The Dream 12-22-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 76647485)
How the hell would Tampa host a game?

If the Dodger Stadium game goes well, I would not be surprised too see an abundance of games in hot locations, e.g. AT&T Stadium (Dallas vs. St. Louis Blues), LP Field (Predators vs. Red Wings), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning vs. Capitals). The average temperature in January for Tampa ranges from 50 degrees to about 70. It is slightly colder in LA in January but, it could be very comparable, I hope it goes well.

Jray42 12-22-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayshplaysh (Post 76654477)
Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.

So much this!

Dirty but Good 12-22-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 (Post 76654497)
If the Dodger Stadium game goes well, I would not be surprised too see an abundance of games in hot locations, e.g. AT&T Stadium (Dallas vs. St. Louis Blues), LP Field (Predators vs. Red Wings), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning vs. Capitals). The average temperature in January for Tampa ranges from 50 degrees to about 70. It is slightly colder in LA in January but, it could be very comparable, I hope it goes well.

It could really help promote hockey in the southern cities if they can successfully play some outdoor games.

Striiker 12-22-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 76654219)
They're really beating the outdoor games to death. There's nothing special about the Winter Classic if they're going to have 5 outdoor games in the span of a month. Not much of a "classic"....

"Winter Classic" still makes sense, it's a reference to old time games that were played outdoors.

If it was "Winter Special" or "Winter Unique" it would be wrong lol

Striiker 12-22-2013 11:54 PM

I really hope this is true. I don't get why people would be less excited about this just because there's more than one outdoor game per season. If the Flyers are in it I'm immediately interested and excited, other teams doing a similar thing doesn't change that at all. It'd also be awesome to see them do 24/7 Flyers Capitals. I love that miniseries when it's interesting, which it certainly would be if it's the Flyers again. I want to see more about the players on the team away from the rink, not just focused on that Russian idiot and Jagr 90% of the time.

Kevin Danko 12-23-2013 12:01 AM

:yo:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayshplaysh (Post 76654477)
Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.

Yep.

LegionOfDoom91 12-23-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayshplaysh (Post 76654477)
Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.

That's really the only thing left that I want to see with this. After that I couldn't care less of the Winter Classic anymore.

MRxBLACK 12-23-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 76655653)
That's really the only thing left that I want to see with this. After that I couldn't care less of the Winter Classic anymore.

They would have to call in the Green Berets to provide extra security for that game. When I lived out there it seemed like there were slightly more Pitt fans but in that huge stadium it would look 5050.

Beef Invictus 12-23-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 76654219)
They're really beating the outdoor games to death. There's nothing special about the Winter Classic if they're going to have 5 outdoor games in the span of a month. Not much of a "classic"....

Yeah. I much prefer having one as a New Yearsy type thing. I will watch that and enjoy it.

Especially since this year's alumni game is ****ing ABSURD. Poor marketing choice to kill the concept by overdoing it.

dookie88 12-23-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 (Post 76650647)
Yeah, every game should be played outdoors! :laugh:

Odds of having an indoor classic in 2020?


Quote:

Originally Posted by brewcrew8 (Post 76653795)
I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-A rematch of the previous Stanley Cup series
-The top regular season of the east vs top team west
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

I doubt they really need to plan it a full year before hand.

That's be awesome.



The only reason I like the Winter Classic is 24/7.
The hockey for the most part has been awful and the whole build-up to it was annoying as hell. Don't care one bit about this Stadium Series.

tade 12-23-2013 05:18 AM

I want Winter Classic vs Pens and crush them hard. But I'd be ok with Caps, I guess. I tend to dislike them more and more.

Devilsfan992 12-23-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 76647485)
How the hell would Tampa host a game?

Bettman didn't tell you?? NHL 2015 Roller Hockey Classic :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewcrew8 (Post 76653795)
I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-A rematch of the previous Stanley Cup series
-The top regular season of the east vs top team west
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

I doubt they really need to plan it a full year before hand.

I really like the alternating division winner idea. One extra game and it'll likely feature top teams who deserve to play in the game.

GKJ 12-23-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 76647485)
How the hell would Tampa host a game?

Probably the same way Los Angeles is and Las Vegas did.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-23-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laundryman (Post 76647331)
I really don't like the idea of multiple outdoor games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 76649675)
Yup, much like every good thing that happens in the NHL Bettman & Co. felt the need to run this into the ground as well.

What's not to like about it? Every one I watch is as compelling as the first one I've seen, and I'm looking forward to the full slate this year. To me this doesn't seem like something that really will fade out. It will always be fun to see a game like this outside, especially if you are in that city. I didn't get to go to the first one in Philly, you better believe I'll be at the next one. I'm sure there are people in all these cities that feel the same way.

4thline4life 12-23-2013 08:04 AM

I had a blast at the winter classic and would go every year if the flyers were in it. Despite the poor sightlines, the atmosphere was unbelievable. The only people who are tired of the stadium series never expierenced the game live. That said I really hope its not at fed ex field, I hate that stadium...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.