HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Flyers' Hartnell: The player that keeps on giving (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1568227)

shipwreck 12-26-2013 08:51 AM

Flyers' Hartnell: The player that keeps on giving
 
Flyers' Hartnell: The player that keeps on giving



Quote:

Flyers left winger Scott Hartnell, two years removed from scoring a career-high 37 goals, is not having his best season.

Off the ice, however, he is an all-star.



http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...on_giving.html

shipwreck 12-26-2013 08:52 AM

Thought it was a nice story - although the writer stills gets in a few digs about Hartnell's performance on the team while still trying to give him a pat on the back :p:

JDinkalage Morgoone 12-26-2013 08:53 AM

This is why I really want him to pick it up. He seems like such a great guy, it sucks to see him struggle, especially because it gets all of our fans calling for his head.

RJ8812 12-26-2013 10:03 AM

Not to be a dick, but I really don't care what he does off the ice. All that matters is that he produces on the ice, and he isn't

I'd love for this team to ship him out, but I just don't see it happening

RonHextall27 12-26-2013 12:06 PM

Sometimes a players value to the team goes above the numbers he puts up on the ice. Hartnell is a glue guy, and guaranteed he is one of the main reasons why this team has turned it around. Maybe his play hasn't been up to the lofty expectations of some fans, but I would say there isn't a single player in that room that he wouldn't go to bat for or wouldn't go to bat for him.

As for his salary, take a look on capgeek of comparable cap hits and tell me how many of those guys you would rather have for the price. Only a handful of guys in my mind.

JDinkalage Morgoone 12-26-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHextall27 (Post 76792399)
Sometimes a players value to the team goes above the numbers he puts up on the ice. Hartnell is a glue guy, and guaranteed he is one of the main reasons why this team has turned it around. Maybe his play hasn't been up to the lofty expectations of some fans, but I would say there isn't a single player in that room that he wouldn't go to bat for or wouldn't go to bat for him.

As for his salary, take a look on capgeek of comparable cap hits and tell me how many of those guys you would rather have for the price. Only a handful of guys in my mind.

I agree with you but I also understand why people are frustrated with his play. Being a good locker room presence is hard to quantify, and also, is questionable in terms of what that is actually worth cap-wise.

I think he can still bounce back and while I don't see another 30 goal season in the future, I still think he can produce near 50 points for another couple years.

RonHextall27 12-26-2013 12:29 PM

I think, 20 goals and 45 points are not entirely out of reach this year, and would definitely salvage his season following a poor start. That is decent value for a 4.5M good teammate, who would skate through walls for the guys. My only thing with him is the dumb minors 200 ft from his own net.

JDinkalage Morgoone 12-26-2013 12:34 PM

He really needs to pick it up if he hopes to get 20+. 6 goals and 15 points thru 33 games isn't really on pace.

Hiesenberg 12-26-2013 12:37 PM

Hartnell can be very good for chunks at a time. Hopefully he gets hot at the right time

dilbert719 12-26-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHextall27 (Post 76792399)
As for his salary, take a look on capgeek of comparable cap hits and tell me how many of those guys you would rather have for the price. Only a handful of guys in my mind.

Honestly, for me, it's not about having a particular guy to replace him for the price. What I'd rather have than Hartnell Down is the flexibility to acquire a higher-priced guy in a deal every once in a while without having to pay through the nose to get the other team to take back enough salary to make it cap compliant.

Prime example is when we had to trade Upshall for Carcillo to get cap compliant, and in addition to taking the hit in talent, we also had to pay a 2nd. If we had some cap flexibility, we would never have had to make that deal, and could either have kept Upshall and the 2, or been able to make a hockey-motivated deal, instead of a financially-motivated one.

I like Scott Hartnell, don't get me wrong, but what he provides to the team can be provided by other players, and his cap hit carries with it opportunity costs that go above and beyond his salary/performance ratio. That's the reason I'd be willing to find him a new home.

JustJim 12-26-2013 01:20 PM

Hartnell's game is best when he stands in front of the goal crease and gets tip-ins. He's been trying to play a finesse game this year, staying outside of the slot or behind the net.....it's not working!
Hartnell should abandon the finesse tactics and get back to playing what he's best at, annoying the opposition!

BackWithaVengeance 12-26-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJim (Post 76794687)
Hartnell's game is best when he stands in front of the goal crease and gets tip-ins. He's been trying to play a finesse game this year, staying outside of the slot or behind the net.....it's not working!
Hartnell should abandon the finesse tactics and get back to playing what he's best at, annoying the opposition!

Damn true!

And with Schenn and Simmonds on his line he has nice company to do so :D.

SgtJoseph 12-26-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHextall27 (Post 76792399)
Sometimes a players value to the team goes above the numbers he puts up on the ice. Hartnell is a glue guy, and guaranteed he is one of the main reasons why this team has turned it around. Maybe his play hasn't been up to the lofty expectations of some fans, but I would say there isn't a single player in that room that he wouldn't go to bat for or wouldn't go to bat for him.

As for his salary, take a look on capgeek of comparable cap hits and tell me how many of those guys you would rather have for the price. Only a handful of guys in my mind.

Well said...........Harts is a very valuable player whether he is or is not scoring . Our club needs a big body who is willing to go into the dirty areas and Harts and Simmer both do it well . Hopefully they both stay healthy .

BernieParent 12-26-2013 06:39 PM

I'm pretty convinced that Hartnell will get into a hot streak near the end of the season and maybe (God willing) into the playoffs. He can work on regaining his form on the third line for the time being, and when Downie is back, it will be up to Hartnell, Simmonds and Raffl to show who doesn't deserve to be moved to the fourth line.

FlyingPhilly 12-27-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 76803227)
Well said...........Harts is a very valuable player whether he is or is not scoring . Our club needs a big body who is willing to go into the dirty areas and Harts and Simmer both do it well . Hopefully they both stay healthy .

I disagree. If Hartnell is not producing then he is a liability on the ice.

Appleyard 12-27-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 76804031)
I'm pretty convinced that Hartnell will get into a hot streak near the end of the season and maybe (God willing) into the playoffs. He can work on regaining his form on the third line for the time being, and when Downie is back, it will be up to Hartnell, Simmonds and Raffl to show who doesn't deserve to be moved to the fourth line.

I think Simmonds has already pulled himself out of that battle tbh, 10 goals and 22 points in his last 32, joint 1st on the team in goals and 3rd in points. Been on ice for the 3rd most ES goals and 2nd most PP goals.

GKJ 12-27-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 76803227)
Well said...........Harts is a very valuable player whether he is or is not scoring . Our club needs a big body who is willing to go into the dirty areas and Harts and Simmer both do it well . Hopefully they both stay healthy .

They're paying him to score goals. Period.

RJ8812 12-27-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 76803227)
Well said...........Harts is a very valuable player whether he is or is not scoring . Our club needs a big body who is willing to go into the dirty areas and Harts and Simmer both do it well . Hopefully they both stay healthy .

no he's not

You don't pay a player $4.75m to only "get into the dirty areas." You expect a level of production if you're getting paid that much and for the past 2 seasons, he has not done that


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.