HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   From the Daily News (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=156901)

pld459666 08-01-2005 06:49 AM

From the Daily News

"I've said from Day 1 that I think the way to win the Stanley Cup is to grow your own," Sather said. "But that doesn't mean you can't surround those guys with good, quality players."

What a croc of BS coming from Sather.

If he truly believed that, we should be in year #7 of the rebuild (can you say annual playoff attendee)

:shakehead

BwayBshirt 08-01-2005 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
"I've said from Day 1 that I think the way to win the Stanley Cup is to grow your own," Sather said. "But that doesn't mean you can't surround those guys with good, quality players."

What a croc of BS coming from Sather.

If he truly believed that, we should be in year #7 of the rebuild (can you say annual playoff attendee)

:shakehead

i was waiting for someone to point out the irony of that comment :biglaugh:

pld459666 08-01-2005 08:50 AM

I guess that when I'm told that

Sather has full autonomy on the team then I have to take that at face value. Sather took the job, according to what I remember, only with full control of the destiny of the franchise.

Kind of convenient that 2 years ago he pretty much blamed Dolan and even now sheds some of the blame as well.

If Sather fully had the trust of ownership as we are all led to believe he does then this rebuild that he stated 2 years ago should have happened 6 years ago.

I'm not nieve to think that Dolan doesn't have a significant say in what goes on, but I thought that Sather was more of his own man in regards to building a team the right way and if he didn't believe in what he was doing, being a man of principle he should have stepped down years ago.

Sather was and is a willing participant in what's gone on, the blame needs to be spread evenly between he and Dolan.

Fletch 08-01-2005 09:21 AM

read again, PLD...

he said, 'your own', which means 'his own'. Further, he says 'But that doesn't mean you can't surround those guys with good, quality players', which unfortunately has a different meaning than what we all believe. Sather too often tries to uncover that sleeping gem. Be it in the draft, be it with UFAs. He picked Malakhov over Schnieder because the 32 year old Malakhov had more potential - which is true, but at that age, we know it won't be realized. He drafted guys who didn't play full seasons and dropped in the draft as a result - hoping others missed-out and maybe the players will not have to deal with injuries their whole career. So far this strategy, however, has not worked.