HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Adam Foote to Columbus...(TSN and Sportsnet confirm) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157172)

Enoch 08-01-2005 10:06 PM

Adam Foote to Columbus...(TSN and Sportsnet confirm)

Somone, please hand me a gun :(

The one weakness the Jackets had could have just been seriously answered. Adam Foote is the one defensemen that we did NOT want to go to Columbus.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...01_230313_4120

Sportsnet claims its a 3 year deal.

:cry:

3\13.8 (4.6 a year)

SmokeyClause 08-01-2005 10:32 PM

Repost from another thread:

I'll be curious to see the price and, knowing that, whether Nashville was a contender. If he signed for around 3-4 million, I am going to be curious why we weren't in the hunt. And if the reasons fall outside of money, I want to know why Poile couldn't sell Foote on Nashville over Columbus. But knowing so little, I digress. Good signing by Columbus. It's not enough to make them a playoff team in my mind, but I know GMDM has another rabbit in his hat. Here's hoping it died of suffocation though. ;)

Edit: Ouch, no wonder he got him. They are paying 4.5 million. My biggest fears are coming to fruition. The teams with tons of cap room and the desire to use it are tossing cash, and lots of it, at players like Foote, Roberts, and Nieuwy because they don't have to worry about bumping up against the cap. They are just concerned with getting better. That puts teams like Nashville in serious jeopardy. While we have plenty of room to manuever, we need to fill 3 spots with 7-9 million dollars. We can't be spending 4.5 on one player unless he's all-world caliber or we are willing to settle for mediocrity on the other two. And if I had to request a top notch Dman or a top notch center and skimp on the other aspect not addressed, I'd take a top notch center in a heartbeat.

barrytrotzsneck 08-01-2005 11:01 PM

My concern is that we're so focused on seeing what "the market is like" that we're going to end up sitting on our hands while other teams are signing the players we're interested in. Of course, I don't know that...none of us do...but it seems like the market for physical defensemen is a lot more limited than for offensive d-men.

Enoch 08-01-2005 11:08 PM

I agree. This is why I actually see us not signing any huge contracts on defense....We simply aren't going to be able to throw 4.5 at a guy (well.......I'm guessing we can't.) If the players aren't there, no need in overpaying though for a mediocre player. Next years UFA market has the potential to be a lot better. Still, I hate taking a wait-see approach for an ENTIRE year, while Sullivan gets older and Vokoun's contract comes close to expiring.

braindead 08-01-2005 11:28 PM

I like the signing for CBJ but at that price I'm happy it isn't us. Somewhat of a repeat from the "other board" but I think the "wait and see" approach, while risky, is the only course of action. We can't sign Foote to $4.5M and get the talent we need on offense. At some point the high bidders take themselves out of the market and the remaining players are selling in a buyers market. The cap troubled teams (Col, Dallas, Det, Toronto) won't be buying and the one-shot wonders (Fla., CBJ) won't be buying. Then we have the most purchasing power IF there is something left to buy. It is a big "if" but Poile is going to wait it out until the market turns, which is the harder thing to do, but could pay the bigger dividends.

Hamerlik and Stillman for $5M> Foote and a scrub center IMO.

Buckle in. This could take a while and be painful watching the early signings.

Original6 08-01-2005 11:51 PM

Toronto will be buying. They do get the home town discount and 10 - 12 million this year to play with.

braindead 08-02-2005 12:02 AM

Didn't mean to argue that point. My point is only that those teams won't be buying everyone that is rumored to be headed there-- they can't afford that or the 85+ roster spots it would take. At some point they buy what they want, the one-shot big spenders blow a wad on what they want and with some luck there are still great players at good values out there. With bad luck, we will be crying in our beer that we didn't pay Foote $4.8M to beat out CBJ.

braindead 08-02-2005 12:37 AM

Foote gets his salary from last year, where people generally thought he was underpaid. If this sets the top end of the range (I'm guessing it does) you would think that Rathje (2M) and Stillman (2.7M) could be had in the combined 4.0M to 5M range. Hamerlik at 3.6M seems likely to drop to the 2.5M-3.0M range, but I don't see us paying the full 3.6M.

sparkle twin 08-02-2005 02:14 AM

O. M. G. This was unexpected, to me.

Well, I guess that just means we'll be kicking his ass 8 times now instead of just 4. :p:

I sure hope the Preds have something good up their sleeves now.

SmokeyClause 08-02-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead
I like the signing for CBJ but at that price I'm happy it isn't us. Somewhat of a repeat from the "other board" but I think the "wait and see" approach, while risky, is the only course of action. We can't sign Foote to $4.5M and get the talent we need on offense. At some point the high bidders take themselves out of the market and the remaining players are selling in a buyers market. The cap troubled teams (Col, Dallas, Det, Toronto) won't be buying and the one-shot wonders (Fla., CBJ) won't be buying. Then we have the most purchasing power IF there is something left to buy. It is a big "if" but Poile is going to wait it out until the market turns, which is the harder thing to do, but could pay the bigger dividends.

Hamerlik and Stillman for $5M> Foote and a scrub center IMO.

Buckle in. This could take a while and be painful watching the early signings.

Agreed, and there is talk that Columbus is still in the hunt for Aucoin and a top line center. They could legitimately throw 11-14 mil at three players and put themselves in a considerable bind going forward. If what Columbus fans are saying is true, they are going to be painting themselves into a bit of a corner. I'm not sure locking up 3 players at above market price (because that's what it's likely going to take to nab these players right now) for 3 years isn't good for the long haul.

Columbus will need these acquisitions though to become a contender. We are fortunate enough where even if we didn't make a major splash and just signed a few B free agents, we will still be playoff contenders. Columbus has a lot of problems with their team. They had the worst offense in the West despite having two budding superstars, a high priced center in Marchant, and one of the most underrated players in the league in Vyborny. They had the third worst defense in the West despite hitting the free agent market hard and landing Sydor as well as several other 'heralded' veteran Dman. In addition, they have a 'young star' in net that has done little to help the hemorrhaging of goals that occured at times last season. My point is the problem doesn't lie with the one ice talent. The Predators have done a lot better with a lot less. Actually, the Predators have never done worse than Columbus did last year, not even in our rookie year when we didn't have other expansion teams to beat up on. Their problem is more coaching related than anything. If they find a really good coach who has a great system, they are going to be hard to deal with no matter who they sign. For the same reason we were a playoff team with a less than pleasing roster (to most), Columbus has been a bottom feeder with a roster chocked full of nice and/or expensive players. Let's hope that despite what we've heard about the coaching situation, the status quo that has plagued them since inception remains.

triggrman 08-02-2005 07:37 AM

I think Columbus and Atlanta play similar systems (or lack thereof), systems that often leave the defensemen out to dry with little or no support from the wingers. It leads to huge numbers on both ends. In the new NHL this could be the way to go, or it could kill them more.

vopatsrash 08-02-2005 08:03 AM

Go ahead and grab something to fan yourself with and sit down nmk.... ;)

For entertainment purposes only, I offer this from everyone's favorite wacky hockey scribe Eklund...

"Foote signed with Columbus but was offered 4 million from Nashville."

and...

"Lindros, despite rumors that he needs to get back in shape, is being rumored to Florida, Toronto, and going back to the Rangers...However another source this morning said, "After conversations from last night I would bet my hat he goes to Nashville. A perfect fit for what they are doing."

:eek: :biglaugh:

3mta3 08-02-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If what Columbus fans are saying is true, they are going to be painting themselves into a bit of a corner. I'm not sure locking up 3 players at above market price (because that's what it's likely going to take to nab these players right now) for 3 years isn't good for the long haul.

There are a few guys whose contracts are up in the coming seasons who are set to be replaced by talent from within the system. The new guys get rookie contracts while the current guys on rookie deals will be able to pull the cash from the guys who leave. The spending now is done with the understanding and planning that the kids need to have cash there for them when it is time.

Quote:

Columbus has a lot of problems with their team. They had the worst offense in the West despite having two budding superstars, a high priced center in Marchant, and one of the most underrated players in the league in Vyborny. They had the third worst defense in the West despite hitting the free agent market hard and landing Sydor as well as several other 'heralded' veteran Dman.

Accurate. Lachance was bought out and as the title of this thread states, the club is addressing the d problem now. Sydor was a bust in town and there were a lot of injuries and a serious lack of depth. The plan seems solid to improve on things. Losing Spacek is tough, but it's not so bitter after reading the paper this morning.

Quote:

In addition, they have a 'young star' in net that has done little to help the hemorrhaging of goals that occured at times last season.

HAHAHAHAHAH!! Yeah, that darn Richard winner just won't play on the PK. It's a shame. And his lack of assists - what a bum. We should have bought him out.

Quote:

Their problem is more coaching related than anything. If they find a really good coach who has a great system, they are going to be hard to deal with no matter who they sign.

AMEN! The addition of Dean Blais to the coaching staff was to address that problem.

Decent analysis overall Smokey!

dulzhok 08-02-2005 08:34 AM

IMO, Foote maybe on the downside of his career. He's already 34. This contract will take him until he's 37. In 2004, he seemed to have lost a step. Now he goes a year without playing hockey. The type of game that he plays could easily deterrioate with age.

Columbus has a habbit of signing guys just as they are on the downside of their career-- Cassels, Sanderson, Lachance, Richardson. I remember when they signed all those guys and everyone thought they were such great signings.

I could see this being a bad move for Columbus. A 3 year contract is a long contract for someone who is Foote's age. And I'm not sold of Foote being the Foote of old.

Enoch 08-02-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
IMO, Foote maybe on the downside of his career. He's already 34. This contract will take him until he's 37. In 2004, he seemed to have lost a step. Now he goes a year without playing hockey. The type of game that he plays could easily deterrioate with age.

Columbus has a habbit of signing guys just as they are on the downside of their career-- Cassels, Sanderson, Lachance, Richardson. I remember when they signed all those guys and everyone thought they were such great signings.

I could see this being a bad move for Columbus. A 3 year contract is a long contract for someone who is Foote's age. And I'm not sold of Foote being the Foote of old.

Its no secret that the Avs are the second team I follow around here, so I will say Dulzhok has a very good point. Foote was not that good last year, even in the playoffs. However, I believe it was an anamoly. I think the Jackets are going to get the best defensive dman on the market, but hopefully, it won't work out quite as well as they hoped. There is risk involved, but I would say that Foote will rebound very well, especially with a year off to rest his body.

God our division is getting VERY VERY VERY tough. The Blackhawks since 03 have added Adrian Aucoin, Jason Cullimore, and Matthew Barnaby. The Jackets pulled in Foote. We are going to get hit, and hit often. We always seem to lose to the Blackhawk, and for the most part, it has been their size advantage over us......I can't see that trend ending, especially considering they just got a lot better and MEANER as a team.

If Poile offered 4 million to Foote, I have to say I am shocked. Way to go! We may turn our attention to 3-4 type defensemen and try to land a center before they start selling like hatcakes.

predhead1 08-02-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Its no secret that the Avs are the second team I follow around here, so I will say Dulzhok has a very good point. Foote was not that good last year, even in the playoffs. However, I believe it was an anamoly. I think the Jackets are going to get the best defensive dman on the market, but hopefully, it won't work out quite as well as they hoped. There is risk involved, but I would say that Foote will rebound very well, especially with a year off to rest his body.

God our division is getting VERY VERY VERY tough. The Blackhawks since 03 have added Adrian Aucoin, Jason Cullimore, and Matthew Barnaby. The Jackets pulled in Foote. We are going to get hit, and hit often. We always seem to lose to the Blackhawk, and for the most part, it has been their size advantage over us......I can't see that trend ending, especially considering they just got a lot better and MEANER as a team.

If Poile offered 4 million to Foote, I have to say I am shocked. Way to go! We may turn our attention to 3-4 type defensemen and try to land a center before they start selling like hatcakes.

I take a bit of comfort in the fact that this season will not be like the past ten years of clutch and grab hockey (at least not according to the league's press releases), so I think a D-man like Foote is not going to be as effective as in years past. Not to say I wouldn't like to have him in a Preds sweater, but I think skating and positioning are going to be more important traits for defensemen in the "new" NHL than toughness.

Enoch 08-02-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1
I take a bit of comfort in the fact that this season will not be like the past ten years of clutch and grab hockey (at least not according to the league's press releases), so I think a D-man like Foote is not going to be as effective as in years past. Not to say I wouldn't like to have him in a Preds sweater, but I think skating and positioning are going to be more important traits for defensemen in the "new" NHL than toughness.

If you were talking about Hatcher, I would agree. Unfortunately, Foote can skate, is great with his positioning, and is one of the best dog-fighters in the NHL. This is why he was the least guy we wanted to sign in CBus. Our only hope is that he is on the downswing, otherwise, he is a perfect fit for their team.

SmokeyClause 08-02-2005 11:56 AM

3mta3, I was referring to Marc Denis as their young star in net.

I know Nash and Zherdev don't play defense, but that really wasn't asked of them. There were many times last season where neither showed concern for the defensive zone. I won't go as far as to say they were cherry picking, but they were close. Still, I hardly blame Rick or Nik for that. If you don't make a young kid with tons of talent play defense, he's not going to do it on his own. And no one made Rick or Nik play defense, so I don't fault them at all for not focusing on defense.

jstreet 08-02-2005 01:06 PM

what?! I'll go so far as to say it, those boys are cherry pickin sons-of-guns.

3mta3 08-03-2005 06:49 AM

Smokey, I'm so used to the Nash criticism I read that into your post. Oops! We have more than our fair share of Nash critics. ;)

Denis has the record for playing the most minutes in a season as a netminder. Should we ever get a backup Denis will be allowed the time off that any other guy in the league gets and I think that will go a long way toward getting his game elevated. Same with some real competition for starts.

Ok, now you go from "decent" to "good". I know that means SOOOO much to you. :)

SmokeyClause 08-03-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3mta
Ok, now you go from "decent" to "good". I know that means SOOOO much to you.

You better believe it. I yearn for acceptance from rival fanbases!