HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New York Times:Rangers will not sign any big FA's (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157173)

RangerBoy 08-01-2005 10:08 PM

New York Times:Rangers will not sign any big FA's

Quote:

Perhaps the biggest surprise yesterday was that the Rangers were apparently not planning to sign a prominent free agent this summer. They have long made a habit of handing out record-breaking contracts to players other teams considered past their prime.

Instead, the Rangers may wait until next summer, when the age for free-agent eligibility is lowered to 29, from 31. The Rangers have failed to qualify for the playoffs a franchise-record seven consecutive seasons, despite consistently fielding record payrolls.

"I haven't heard from the Rangers at all," one prominent agent said last night. "It's not the traditional free-agent market teams that we're hearing from."

If the Rangers are not in the market to sign Forsberg and Naslund, they are probably not going to try to re-sign Brian Leetch, whom they traded to Toronto in March 2004. Leetch had spent nearly 17 seasons with the Rangers and is the most accomplished defenseman in franchise history. Instead, the Islanders made the 37-year-old Leetch an offer, but Leetch has apparently already declined
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/sp...key/02nhl.html

The Bruins made Leetch an offer.He goes to Beantown

dedalus 08-01-2005 10:20 PM

Thank God! Have the Dolans and Sather finally got it straight???

Kovy274Hart 08-01-2005 10:21 PM

Interesting. Hope it's true about the Rangers.

Also, hope Leetch does not wind up on the Island.

Hedberg 08-01-2005 10:25 PM

I still think the Rangers may sign Naslund and Forsberg.

Kovy274Hart 08-01-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Thank God! Have the Dolans and Sather finally got it straight???

Shhhhhhh... don't jinx it.

dedalus 08-01-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Shhhhhhh... don't jinx it.

Oh believe me, there's a reason there are three question marks at the end of that question.

broadwayblue 08-01-2005 11:10 PM

well if that's true i guess we do have a shot at the #1 overall next year. but i'm really interested to see who we have lacing up next to jagr, nylander, kaspar, and poti. crap, do we still have poti? and we should really look to move jagr for some picks and prospects. having him on a rebuilding team is pretty worthless imo. all he does is hurt our chances of finishing at the bottom.

RangerBoy 08-01-2005 11:17 PM

Jason Diamos took out the agent quote out of the story and added a Don Maloney quote

"Since the trade deadline in March 2004, we've made this philosophical commitment to build a core group of Rangers," Don Maloney, the team's vice president for player personnel, said by telephone late last night. "That process is not something that happens overnight."

"Obviously, there are holes on our roster that need to be filled, and we will be signing some free agents," Maloney said. "There are obviously some big-name players with great character. Are we in the game with those? Sure."

That could translate into the Rangers seeking to trade for a younger player like the Boston Bruins' captain, Joe Thornton, who could be dealt before he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/sports/hockey/02nhl.html?oref=login

dedalus 08-01-2005 11:21 PM

It doesn't say they're going to sign no free agents. Second tier guys like McEachern/Damphousse and role players like Lapointe/Brisebois could still be brought into the mix.

Balej20* 08-02-2005 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
It doesn't say they're going to sign no free agents. Second tier guys like McEachern/Damphousse and role players like Lapointe/Brisebois could still be brought into the mix.

im not quite sure i understand the logic behind signing second teir guys who take up roster spots, but you are so against signing forsberg/naslund. If it's based on money, than thats a faulty argument, forsberg and naslund cannot expect to get an insane amount of money if they wanna sign on the same team.

Fire Sather 08-02-2005 12:25 AM

lol. They have to sign SOME guys, I mean hell, I'm all for rebuilding, but I'm not for running out the 04-05 Wolfpack out there + Jagr.

Hopefully, its just some role guys who can help the kids grow.

FLYLine24 08-02-2005 01:11 AM

I hope this is true...please. I can go one year without a big UFA if it means a fresh good start to the NYRs.

NYR2 08-02-2005 01:50 AM

I hope it's true, also. I don't want to see the old Rangers.

GraveyTrain09 08-02-2005 12:57 PM

the idea of signing second tier guys is to bring in guys who are team players....they will most likely bring in guys who they think fit what the team wants to be....as long as its not the "lets bring in every big name" attitude, then im ok with that

Lapointe would be amazing here, but thats just my oppinion

CrookedRain 08-02-2005 02:06 PM

also

I especially fail to understand Maloney's logic when applied to Prucha.

Prucha will cost transfer money which is not applicable against the cap and he can be signed for a reasonable two way contract. But why are relative cents getting in the way when milions have been wasted on so many other over the hill players?

Levitate 08-02-2005 02:14 PM

you'd have to ask the guy who controls the money...but one suggestion is that no one really wants to start shelling out lots of money to every euro team to get their prospects over and risk having it become the norm and escalate up and up until teams are paying a ton for every prospect and the euro teams won't sign any kind of agreement to temper it

Bacchus 08-02-2005 05:00 PM

Who says that Prucha would sign a two-way contract?

CrookedRain 08-02-2005 11:57 PM

This has always been one of the apparent stumbling blocks. I guess my point is that if they're willing to spend 2.5 million dollars on Malik then they should be able to find a reasonable solution with Prucha.

This is a guy that Jagr gave a thumbs up to but I guess Sather isn't listening and would rather play save some cents and waste some dollars.

True Blue 08-03-2005 02:19 PM

In the new age NHL, it would be rather silly to give Prucha a million dollars. The guy did not have a good year, has major size issues and has yet to step a toe onto North American ice. While the amount of money given to Malik is silly, there is no need to repeat silliness and make Prucha an instant millionaire.