HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Foote to Columbus (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157211)

Game Misconduct 08-01-2005 11:49 PM

Foote to Columbus

3 years, $4.5 million per.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...73&hubName=nhl

That's too much, IMO.

jfont 08-02-2005 12:02 AM

this would probably make neidermayer worth around $5.5-6M...

King'sPawn 08-02-2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Disagree... Foote's one of the top 6 elite UFA's on the market.

Disagree :)

Forsberg
Naslund
Palffy
Khabibulin
Niedermayer
Demitra
Modano
Kariya
Allison
Foote

He's top 10, and one of the best defenseman available... but he's still overpaid as a stay-at-home defenseman.

Also, sportsnet says it's a $13.8 million deal. I take it that includes a bonus?

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Edit: There are more. I was just going down the FA list for the Western Conference, and plugged in Niedermayer and Khabibulin. I would also rank Aucoin, Gonchar, and Leetch above him.

Reaper45 08-02-2005 12:05 AM

Good deal for Foote and the BJ's. He'll end up their captain, and the BJ's get a #1 d-man. Kinda expensive if you ask me, but this is what'll set the bar I'm sure.

swinginutter* 08-02-2005 12:48 AM

We can thank Dallas and Columbus, for making the first two-bonehead moves going into the UFA market. Somebody had to start somewhere, so oh well. Players now like Aucoin, Schneider, Zhitnik, Hamrlik...etc will be looking for the same figures. To me their being overpaid for their age. It looks like most players out there will entertain all offers and take the biggest contract given.

No offense to Columbus, but I just don't think Foote would have ever gone their if the new system was in place. His interview we'll go something to the likes of him being excited that he gets to play with great young talent....yada, yada, yada! Way overpaid in my book.

As for players going to Stanley Cup contenders? It is now history. Hopefully this can spread out the playing field, but I don't know? I have a bad feeling we're going to have more Lapointe, and Holik situations.

King'sPawn 08-02-2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinginutter
We can thank Dallas and Columbus, for making the first two-bonehead moves going into the UFA market.

Do you mean Florida and Columbus? :)

McDonald19 08-02-2005 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn

Dallas re-signed Zubov at 4 million per year which was overpayment.

swinginutter* 08-02-2005 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn

Yeah, I guess Florida too. But I think we overpaid for Conroy, so I can't really talk *****. But I do think Florida overpaid.

But Dallas signing Zubov at three years (age 35) at 4 million a year, really tweeks the market for defenseman.

Game Misconduct 08-02-2005 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinginutter
Yeah, I guess Florida too. But I think we overpaid for Conroy, so I can't really talk *****. But I do think Florida overpaid.

But Dallas signing Zubov at three years (age 35) at 4 million a year, really tweeks the market for defenseman.

I think that was a great deal for Florida. They got the veteran leadership they really needed.

swinginutter* 08-02-2005 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I think that was a great deal for Florida. They got the veteran leadership they really needed.

I think for that club, you're probably right! Actually their one-two punch down the middle won't look that bad. I love the way Gary Roberts plays.

jt 08-02-2005 01:22 AM

Foote was paid $4.3 mil in 03-04 and would have been paid $4.4 mil in 04-05...he got a raise. If that's not overpayment in the "new NHL", I don't know what is.

I think this is GREAT news for the Kings. What the hell do I care who's paying what to these guys? The more other teams overpay for the first UFA's signed, the less they'll have for other guys...and even more importantly, the worse shape they'll be in in the future (like next summer) when the Kings will be in great shape in terms of the cap, as long as they don't do what the Panthers and BJ's are doing and overpay for UFA geezers.

I couldn't be happier that the Avs have lost Foote and that Columbus has overpaid and used somewhere around 15% of the cap on him. It's gonna bite them in the ass either this summer or next summer.

nikolai19 08-02-2005 01:30 AM

I think guys like Hamrlik, Zhitnik, Rafalski, Rathje will be getting less than Zubov while Gonchar, Niedermayer, and Aucoin will be getting more than Foote.

If I'm LA I look to bring back Zhitnik for just less than $3 million for 2 years. He would be a great tutor for Grebeshkov.

Reaper45 08-02-2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19
If I'm LA I look to bring back Zhitnik for just less than $3 million for 2 years. He would be a great tutor for Grebeshkov.

Teach him how to drink and or how to deal with the Russian mob. :shakehead

swinginutter* 08-02-2005 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19
I think guys like Hamrlik, Zhitnik, Rafalski, Rathje will be getting less than Zubov while Gonchar, Niedermayer, and Aucoin will be getting more than Foote.

Agreed!

I just wouldn't go over the 3 million mark on him. The last offer that Buffalo gave him was excellent and he should have took it. Hopefully he's just looking for warmer climate, and a fresh start.

nikolai19 08-02-2005 01:43 AM

You could get a guy like Dan McGillis for less than $2 million who would be a great 4-5 guy.

Capn Brown 08-02-2005 04:56 AM

As Foote got 4.5 mil a year, can you imagine what Palffy will now be seeking? I'm gunna start throwin' stuff!

Capn Brown 08-02-2005 05:05 AM

Btw...................

Looks as if my $$$ estimates from last week are starting to take shape. Check the last post on the first page:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...7&page=1&pp=15

:rant: :shakehead :dunno: :cry: :madfire: