HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   So who should we sign ??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157220)

Evgeny Oliker 08-02-2005 12:03 AM

So who should we sign ???

Since the RANGERS are smart enough not to buy expensive older stars anymore...we still do need some depth players. Here is who I think would help us:

Forwards: I think we are okay at Center with Nylander,Lundmark and Garth Murray, but we don't have a lot of Wingers...so here are some:

Darren Mccarty - some already mentioned him,he is tough as nails and can score here and there.
Villie Nieminen - Calgary is stupid to let him again. Again, tough and with some skill and size. Also, Mccarty is 33, while Nieminen is only 28 so my preference is Nieminen (or both).

Defense: We have enough offensive dmen in Poti,Tyutin,Kondratiev,Pock. For defensive dman we only have Kasparaitis as a reliable option.

Aucoin - I love this guy because he does EVERYTHING. He logs a lot of minutes, he can play Powerplay, Penalty Kill, he can contribute on offense and be tough on defense. With a rather young defense, the Rangers must have a veteran who can log lots of minutes and help the young dman in every way! Aucoin would be perfect. He is also not really a star so we can get him at 2-4 million!

any other suggestions for defensemen?? I don't think we need anyone like Rafalski, we have enough offensive dmen

Balej20* 08-02-2005 12:05 AM

Forsberg, Naslund and Aucoin/one FA Dman

Evgeny Oliker 08-02-2005 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
Forsberg, Naslund and Aucoin/one FA Dman

okay,that would mean giving up about 15 million. and what then? what do you do when Forsberg goes down with an injury and Naslund starts showing his age? you go and sign more old guys then?

Balej20* 08-02-2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
okay,that would mean giving up about 15 million. and what then? what do you do when Forsberg goes down with an injury and Naslund starts showing his age? you go and sign more old guys then?

First off, it wont cost us 15 mill, second, what difference does it make how much it costs if we only have them for 2-3 years and we do not need to sign any big names for a while anyway. Thirdly, when Forsberg goes down with an injury, it's something you have to deal with, but i like naslund so much, i'll take the chance. It's all for the exp. the kids will gain playing along side of them.

MidnightRanger 08-02-2005 12:21 AM

I hope no one of significance because all it will do is slow down our rebuild and take valuable ice time away from some of our prospects who we should let play. And all those fa will do is make us mediocre which in the NHL is like being in the middle of Siberia with no hope of a lotery pick or of actually getting better.

I really hope we tank the season. We really really need our own superstar kid that can grow with the rest of our prospects with a Ranger mentality and identity instead of the usual mercenary that we hire for a paycheck every year. I really have had enough of it. And it really doesnt pay now with a salary cap where you probably cant address major holes because all those mercenaries eat up a huge chunk of your cap room. Although we were always full of defensive holes even without a cap.

I really hope we tank this season and get a Lottery pick. And I really really hope we can get Phil Kessel. And by the time he or anyone we draft as a lottery pick can come up the other kids would have had experience and acclimation as homegrown rangers.

Then you can worry about hiring mercenaries to fill your holes.

I wouldn't sign ANYONE now, except maybe a veteran defenseman since we need one.

Evgeny Oliker 08-02-2005 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
First off, it wont cost us 15 mill, second, what difference does it make how much it costs if we only have them for 2-3 years and we do not need to sign any big names for a while anyway. Thirdly, when Forsberg goes down with an injury, it's something you have to deal with, but i like naslund so much, i'll take the chance. It's all for the exp. the kids will gain playing along side of them.

Now you sound exactly like SATHER of old!!! too bad you don't see that!

Sign them for 2-3 years? Fine,and then what? When Iginla and Thornton are UFA next season, will we have money for them??? NO, because we will be right at the Cap limit with Naslund and Forsberg maxing out our Cap. So over those 2-3 years our team will just get older...while others teams get younger and better with guys like Thornton. Great plan buddy!

Balej20* 08-02-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
Now you sound exactly like SATHER of old!!! too bad you don't see that!

Sign them for 2-3 years? Fine,and then what? When Iginla and Thornton are UFA next season, will we have money for them??? NO, because we will be right at the Cap limit with Naslund and Forsberg maxing out our Cap. So over those 2-3 years our team will just get older...while others teams get younger and better with guys like Thornton. Great plan buddy!

and who said it's a gurantee that Thornton and Iginla will be FA's. And who also said that it's a gurantee we will automatically sign them next year if they even are FAs? and further more, who said we'd automatically be at the cap limit when you dont even know how much forsberg and naslund will sign for and how much it will even take up.

MidnightRanger 08-02-2005 01:33 AM

There has to be a guy out there that is a sleeper. Someone who has been an underachiver somewhere and who could develop and actually enhance our rebuilding, if that's truly what we are doing (its what we should be doing).

An example is a guy like Aucoin. I believe he was a Canuck and not much for them and then became a force for the Islanders with more ice time. A guy like Rafalski who the Devils got off the scrap heap from the Finnish league.

There have to be guys like that out there in those 300 free agents. Those are the guys that could help us and who could be cheaper and keep our cap situation stable.

Or we should trade Jagr for some more ready for the NHL prospects.

donpaulo 08-02-2005 07:24 AM

I posted this over at the hockey rodent, but I think the rangers would be well suited to go for Brian Smolinski and to work a trade for Mike Sillinger. Both have good speed, can play center and wing. Sillinger is very good on the draw.

GraveyTrain09 08-02-2005 01:22 PM

i hope we dont sign naslund adn forsberg...these two are a couple of the best players in the world but i dont want them on the team....yet
I want to have a team that is built from the rangers core, ADN THEN bring in top talent to help make us a contender

I cant believe im saying this, but listen to Larry Brooks...ugh that just sounds bad....we should wait a year to let our young guys show us what theyve got

Im not saying "dont sign anyone" im saying sign second tier players whos young and can grow with the team....again im not saying "only sign young guys" i also want vets who can lead our team

If you dont get this..im sorry....i dont want nas/forsb
They arnt right for our team yet

Phil333 08-02-2005 02:34 PM

We need an impact player. We can let our young guys grow but we have a lot of cap room, especially with Jagr only costing $4 mil and we need to take advantage of that. I really thought Demitra would have been a great pickup, it's too bad he got signed.

Balej20* 08-02-2005 03:02 PM

I rather have satan over demitra, and it looks like we may sign Satan according to rodent.

dumpsathernow* 08-02-2005 04:45 PM

Whatever we do don't sign any role player types. Our system is stocked with them.

Shadowrunner 08-02-2005 06:40 PM

QUOTE:

"I hope no one of significance because all it will do is slow down our rebuild and take valuable ice time away from some of our prospects who we should let play. And all those fa will do is make us mediocre which in the NHL is like being in the middle of Siberia with no hope of a lotery pick or of actually getting better.

I really hope we tank the season. We really really need our own superstar kid that can grow with the rest of our prospects with a Ranger mentality and identity instead of the usual mercenary that we hire for a paycheck every year. I really have had enough of it. And it really doesnt pay now with a salary cap where you probably cant address major holes because all those mercenaries eat up a huge chunk of your cap room. Although we were always full of defensive holes even without a cap.

I really hope we tank this season and get a Lottery pick. And I really really hope we can get Phil Kessel. And by the time he or anyone we draft as a lottery pick can come up the other kids would have had experience and acclimation as homegrown rangers.

Then you can worry about hiring mercenaries to fill your holes.

I wouldn't sign ANYONE now, except maybe a veteran defenseman since we need one."

Tank the season on purpose and the only thing you're teaching the kids is how to be losers.

What I'm hoping for is this: Work hard, try to win every game to build up the right mentality, and simply suck your way to last place. Atlanta, Columbus and a few others are a good example of this approach.

Onion Boy 08-03-2005 10:26 PM

Yanic Perreault. Speedy second/third line center. We need someone who can take faceoffs.

Andrew Brunette. Probably wouldn't sign him and Perreault. One or the other. Similar game on the wing except slower.

Ville Nieminen. We need a physical presence/agitator who can play regularly on the third line. Murray and Ortmeyer don't have the skills to play regular third line minutes.

We could also use a heavyweight. Domi or May would do nicely.