HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   whats it gonna take? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1572617)

onlylordsvsmorebp 01-01-2014 10:09 PM

whats it gonna take?

simply this,what do you think will have to happen to turn this team into a heavyweight contender for the cup?complete rebuild?patience and picks?trades etc.?how close do you think we are?

RoDu 01-01-2014 10:12 PM

this year or in the future?

onlylordsvsmorebp 01-01-2014 10:24 PM

i guess im asking if you think one or two trades could be made that could take us there right now or if it just going to take draft picks and patience?

Metalcommand 01-01-2014 10:28 PM

Chris Pronger :(

jabba2 01-01-2014 10:31 PM

Solid, puck moving D.

TheDrizzle81 01-01-2014 10:53 PM

Patience.

Beef Invictus 01-01-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp (Post 77149807)
i guess im asking if you think one or two trades could be made that could take us there right now or if it just going to take draft picks and patience?

Right now?

It would take magic.

There are no trade that make the team an instant contender without making holes elsewhere in the roster.

JackStraw 01-01-2014 11:15 PM

Bobby Ryan.

/thread

The Couturier Effect 01-01-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 77151493)
Right now?

It would take magic.

There are no trade that make the team an instant contender without making holes elsewhere in the roster.

HEY! We have Kimmo ******* Timonen. That's all the magic we need! :sarcasm:

Garbage Goal 01-01-2014 11:28 PM

By heavy weight contender teams like Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. come to mind.

We'd probably need a number one two-way D and our team, as a whole, to play like they have been lately except maybe with a tighter game all around. We'd also have to stop playing dead weight like Rinaldo and Meszaros every game let alone dead weight like Meszaros for 18 to 20 minutes a game.

For the future we'd also need for some of our worse contracts that will likely turn out pretty bad towards the end of them (namely Lecavalier, Hartnell, and Streit) to be dumped or at least turn out better then they probably will.

Broad Street Elite 01-01-2014 11:29 PM

Some of these defensive prospects to pan out in a big way

+

Find some sort of goal scoring winger that relies on his own talents versus the dirty goals.

+

Patience to get there.

JGalt 01-01-2014 11:34 PM

Getting the D to contender level is going to take time. Weber isn't about to fall in our lap.

Gert B Frobe 01-02-2014 12:00 AM

Sam Morin needs to develop into a Pronger(ish) type player
Haag and Gostisbehere need to pan out really well
Lecavelier, Streit and Hartnell contracts need to go away
Guys like Rinaldo get replaced by guys like Powe
Schenn, Couturier continue to improve
Make a couple smart moves/signings on D
Mason keeps it up

3 years at the earliest

Morin - Coburn
Gostisbehere - FA/trade
Haag - Schenn

Flyerss 01-02-2014 12:13 AM

kidnap Pietro-JayBo-Shatty

Defense is the key

Damaged Goods 01-02-2014 12:17 AM

Trading the farm, of course.

The Dream 01-02-2014 12:26 AM

Morin, Hagg, and Ghost are 3-5 years away from making significant contributions to the team, so patience is critical.

I don't think the Flyers are super far away. They have two glaring needs, a #1 defenseman. Hopefully one of our prospects turns into that guy. And our other need is a elite scoring winger to play with G. We can probably get one through the draft or wait a couple years till Bobby Ryan is a FA.

We need to get rid of Hartnell for a 1st round pick. (Teams will probably do that at the deadline. Believe it or not but Hartnell is a 20+ goal scorer and teams will pay a first rounder to get one.)

Trade Kimmo at the deadline if he waives his NMC. (Again a teams will give up a 1st round pick to get him). But I would not mind keeping him though. Seeing as though we will probably squeak into the playoffs I doubt Homer will make that trade.

Maybe trade our pick, and a pick acquired in the Timonen trade, and Coburn for Ekblad, who hopefully becomes a #1 defenseman sooner than later.

Lastly, give B. Schenn more ice time. I would really like to see him play on G's wing.

tuckrr 01-02-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe (Post 77154363)
Sam Morin needs to develop into a Pronger(ish) type player
Haag and Gostisbehere need to pan out really well
Lecavelier, Streit and Hartnell contracts need to go away
Guys like Rinaldo get replaced by guys like Powe
Schenn, Couturier continue to improve
Make a couple smart moves/signings on D
Mason keeps it up

3 years at the earliest

Morin - Coburn
Gostisbehere - FA/trade
Haag - Schenn

Totally agree, but I like to think Vinny will age similar to jagr

The Dream 01-02-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckrr (Post 77155233)
Totally agree, but I like to think Vinny will age similar to jagr

That would be nice. But it does look like he gained a few years just in the last couple games ;)

tuckrr 01-02-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 (Post 77155349)
That would be nice. But it does look like he gained a few years just in the last couple games ;)

I agree he's not moving very well right now (lower back injuries are no joke) but hands last forever, and his fitness is level is amazing.

onlylordsvsmorebp 01-02-2014 12:43 AM

been watching haag in the wjhc-looks like really solid talented player.plays a physical game,wins battles,plays with swagger,stands out on just about every shift.really happy and impressed with that pick.

The Dream 01-02-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp (Post 77155599)
been watching haag in the wjhc-looks like really solid talented player.plays a physical game,wins battles,plays with swagger,stands out on just about every shift.really happy and impressed with that pick.

He just needs to work on his consistence issues. And maybe he is standing out because he is finally playing against his peers and not his seniors. I am excited to see him improve. Flyers 2016-2017 Stanley cup run, here we come.

BackWithaVengeance 01-02-2014 01:07 AM

Hägg could become just as good as Morin, if not the better all-around player.

I'm very pleased with the pick. Very well done Homer.

onlylordsvsmorebp 01-02-2014 01:08 AM

first time ive seen him play-been watching laughton and stolarz too-anyway looks like he will be tough aggressive defender.has an edge to his game.

The Dream 01-02-2014 01:42 AM

I have been very happy with Homer's drafting over the last 3 drafts

Couturier, Cousins, Noebels
Laughton, Stolarz, Gostisbehere, Leier, Vasiliev (especially 2012)
Morin, Hagg, Amorosa

I am still peeved that Homer took Tyrell Goulbourne. It was the 3rd round of one of the deepest drafts in NHL history. And guess what we took Zac Rinaldo pt. 2. Don't get me wrong I like Zac, but why do we need 2 of him.

We could have taken:
Oliver Bjorkstrand: 56 points in 32 games and plays with Leier on Portland and not to mention he is a winger, not a center.
Jordan Subban: He has put up over a point per game this season as a defenseman.
Pavel Buchnevich: A Russian winger producing pretty well in the KHL.
Anton Slepyshev: same as above.

Psuhockey 01-02-2014 07:13 AM

The Flyers need 3 players IMO: 1st line left winger and 2 mobile two-way defensemen with at least one being a top pair.

The left winger they could get in free agency this year. Matt Moulson or Vanek. I prefer Moulson as he would be cheaper and could fill other roles on the team as his scoring declines later in his career.

The flyers could get one of the defensemen in free agency too. Anton Stralman would be a good fit as he is right handed.

The top pair worthy one is hard because he would have to come thru trade but nobody is trading a top pair defenseman. The Flyers would have to get lucky in one of their prospects developing faster than expected or trade for a prospect defenseman who hasn't established themselves yet.