HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hatcher, Rathje, Therien signed, Markov dealt for a 3rd. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157307)

Dr Love 08-02-2005 07:58 AM

Sportsnet: Hatcher, Rathje, Therien signed

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=LLFPFBPLCCKD?content=200508 02_081921_6440

Quote:

Sportsnet has learned the Flyers have agreed to multi year deals with big defensemen, Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje.

Both men are listed at 6'5, 235 lbs, so clearly it's the Flyers intent to get bigger.

But Philadelphia didn't stop there, adding a third towering defensemen in re-acquiring 6'5 Ottawa native, Chris Therien, the Flyers seventh choice in the 1990 NHL draft.
Bundy? Gag me with a spoon. Hatcher should be good for 20 games, I really like the addition of Rathje.

EDIT: Therien as a #7 is alright. Better to have Seidenberg playing every night in the AHL than sitting in the owner's box. But for a 7th defenseman, do we really need to see another retread?

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:02 AM

Therien as a 7th defenseman insurance policy, I have no problem with that at all, as long as the money is low.

I'm not crazy about Hatcher, but now we can go with:

Johnsson - Hatcher
Pitkanen - Rathje
Desjardins - Markov

Extras: Seidenberg & Bundy.

wasting time 08-02-2005 08:06 AM

Flyers are building a powerhouse this year and for the future. Congrats. ********.

Stonehands77 08-02-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Therien as a 7th defenseman insurance policy, I have no problem with that at all, as long as the money is low.

I'm not crazy about Hatcher, but now we can go with:

Johnsson - Hatcher
Pitkanen - Rathje
Desjardins - Markov

Extras: Seidenberg & Bundy.

WOW. I like those pairings a lot. Well, perhaps have Markov a bit higher (his play last season was outstanding, I thought...plus I love the fact he gets a nice psychotic look in his eye when he gets revved up), but still, that's an extremely solid defense. Well, as long as Bundy is a 7th or 8th d-man. :)

Still, one has to wonder about Seidenberg here. I'd probably have him as the 7th over Bundy, and use him to give Desjardins and others a break during the season to keep them healthy for the playoffs. Then again, he could also be the guy to shuttle between the Phantoms and the Flyers as needed. It would give him lots of ice team on the Phantoms, allowing him to continue improving and working on his game (especially since he'd be what, top pair with the Phantoms?). This could be a very interesting season...

Roger's Pancreas* 08-02-2005 08:09 AM

I'm stoked for the season to start already. I was counting on Clarke signing one defenseman but THREE?! Maybe we'll be able to beat that injury bug this year after all.

Kasparov* 08-02-2005 08:09 AM

Goddamnit

JCD 08-02-2005 08:11 AM

I personally love the signings.

Therien is just depth. As long as Bundy is the 3rd pair, no problem.

I love having Hatcher. The guy is a hardnosed leader this franchise has lacked for YEARS. IMO, he is this generation's Clarke. A dirty, cheap SOB who will do whatever it takes for his team to win. While he may not be the shut-down defenseman of old, he adds a nasty dimension our blueline needs and can play a quality top-4 role.

Rathje is a guy I have always thought was highly under-rated. Not the most physical guy (certainly not for his size), but a very effective defensive defensemen in the Kjell Samuelsson mold. He isn't flashy, doesn't get a lot of headlines, won't make too many plays you will remember, just the quiet, efficient contribution you want from a defensive player. He keeps the top forwards contained.

None of these guys will do much offensively and shouldnt' get a sniff of the PP, but will make our goalies life easier.

Steve L* 08-02-2005 08:11 AM

Well theres been no news on Desjardins, is he even coming back, these signings would throw that into doubt IMO.

Gert B Frobe 08-02-2005 08:11 AM

i like it, i like it a lot.

Hatcher can't be worse than last year, Rathje will be very good and Therien is a decent 7th man

Roger's Pancreas* 08-02-2005 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Well theres been no news on Desjardins, is he even coming back, these signings would throw that into doubt IMO.

You have to wonder, maybe Clarke's prepared to let him walk while giving Seidenberg NHL playing time.

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

If Desjardins take his option year that would have been big news.

Dr Love 08-02-2005 08:17 AM

I'm going to limit my potshot comment to this:

Unsurprizingly, not a single mention of this from the biggest Flyers fan on the internet, not today and not in the past.

OilerOlli* 08-02-2005 08:18 AM

Wow great signings for you. Rathje I would had like to see signing with the oilers...
Anyway, I hope that Seidenberg will get a chance, but it not seems so with Hatcher, Johnsson, Rathje, Therien, Markov, Pitkanen, perhaps Desjardins on your D

Steve L* 08-02-2005 08:21 AM

Incidently, a poster on O and B who reported this before it broke on the radio said there is a trade coming too.

We shall see.

Dr Love 08-02-2005 08:26 AM

Considering that Esche is pretty lousy at controlling rebounds, having Hatcher and Rathje to clear the crease is huge for the Flyers.

Steve L* 08-02-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

If Desjardins take his option year that would have been big news.

I would have thought it was bigger news if he was leaving, its very strange we havent heard either way.

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:29 AM

Quote:

I would have thought it was bigger news if he was leaving, its very strange we havent heard either way.

The NHLPA website lists him on the roster for the amount of his option, and I haven't seen him on any UFA list, until I see otherwise I'd have to assume he's back. Also last week Hitch was talking about him like he was still a Flyer.

Flyers26 08-02-2005 08:30 AM

I really didn't want to see Therien back.
Maybe someday Clarke can get away from the blind loyalty he has for washed up former Flyers, and let the youth have their day.
I'll take Seidenberg anyday over Therien.

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers26
I really didn't want to see Therien back.
Maybe someday Clarke can get away from the blind loyalty he has for washed up former Flyers, and let the youth have their day.
I'll take Seidenberg anyday over Therien.

If the 7th will be in the press box, better to have Therien there and Dennis playing 25 minutes a night with the Phantoms, than to have Dennis sitting and watching.

Steve L* 08-02-2005 08:33 AM

Me too, I think Seidenberg will be packaged off with Handzus for a winger this season. Clarke will then go after Thornton or LeCalvier with the JR and Rico money next season.

Man, Im starting to sound like Eklund. :cry:

Flyers26 08-02-2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

If the 7th will be in the press box, better to have Therien there and Dennis playing 25 minutes a night with the Phantoms, than to have Dennis sitting and watching.

Dennis should be with the big club, as the 6th d-man. He needs to play in the NHL, not another season w/ the Phantoms.

TSN.CA lists Rico as a signed player, making 2.28mil this season.

OilerOlli* 08-02-2005 08:41 AM

Why Clark didn't trade Handzus and Seidenberg for Isbister *gg*
That would had been a nice trade for my taste

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers26
Dennis should be with the big club, as the 6th d-man. He needs to play in the NHL, not another season w/ the Phantoms.

I like Dennis, but if the choice is Dennis or Mike Rathje, it's not even close.

Teezax 08-02-2005 08:42 AM

I wish we could find out what's going on with Rico. I agree Seids should see time ahead of Therien...but 8 NHL ready D? Trade looming maybe.

John Flyers Fan 08-02-2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
I wish we could find out what's going on with Rico. I agree Seids should see time ahead of Therien...but 8 NHL ready D? Trade looming maybe.

Remember the playoffs. Having two many defenseman is never a bad thing.