HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   1904 McGill Hockey - Action Picture (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1573769)

Canadiens1958 01-03-2014 01:38 PM

1904 McGill Hockey - Action Picture

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting photo from 1904, a hockey game in progress on the lower campus rink at McGill University in Montreal. seems that there are three distinct jerseys on the ice.

Killion 01-03-2014 02:00 PM

Interesting. Could be a few reasons for that.

1) They didnt have enough striped or solid jerseys to go around but as both were dark, just mixed them up against the lights worn by the opposition or;

2) It was deliberate, the Defenseman wearing a dark solid, the Rover & Forwards wearing stripes or...

3) That photographs been re-touched.

At least they werent playing Skins vs Shirts huh? Looks a bit cold for that? ;)

LeBlondeDemon10 01-03-2014 02:01 PM

The goalie is in a pretty good athletic crouch; leaning forward a bit. I find that interesting because I recall seeing pictures of goalies in the early days of the NHL standing very tall with hardly any crouch. Might have just been the pose for the picture though.

Killion 01-03-2014 02:15 PM

^^^ Well, fact is it looks like a daguerreotype photograph of a pen & ink rendering of that era. A picture of a print or a print. Not sure which. The scene though looking natural enough upon further scrutiny seeming far to posed for my liking.... Yes, Im calling it a fake LBD... ya hear me C58? Lets see your provenance on that sucker. Wheres the photographers signature on the plate? Its too "perfect". And sure, I see the flaws there. Looks like water or acid stain droplets. Nice touch.... Just what are you trying to sell here Mister? :naughty:

Cruor 01-03-2014 02:23 PM

With the risk of outing my ignorance, how far back does professional hockey date in Canada? Most association football clubs in Europe have their founding dates in the late 19th century for comparison.

Canadiens1958 01-03-2014 02:26 PM

Provenance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 77253379)
^^^ Well, fact is it looks like a daguerreotype photograph of a pen & ink rendering of that era. A picture of a print or a print. Not sure which. The scene though looking natural enough upon further scrutiny seeming far to posed for my liking.... Yes, Im calling it a fake LBD... ya hear me C58? Lets see your provenance on that sucker. Wheres the photographers signature on the plate? Its too "perfect". And sure, I see the flaws there. Looks like water or acid stain droplets. Nice touch.... Just what are you trying to sell here Mister? :naughty:

Provenance:

Source: Library and Archives Canada/Library of Parliament collection/C-017831
Public Domain. Credit: Notman and Son.
nlc-5766

fairly well known .

Killion 01-03-2014 03:07 PM

^^^ Aha. Theres the clue I needed. Wm Notman & Son produced over 450,000 photographs & (heres the answer) composite photographs throughout the 19th Century. A composite photograph which is what I believe this to be is using a painted background plate. You then lay in individual photos mixed with further individual subjects that are also painted or drawn in pen & ink in a realistic scene. So some of its real photography, some of it drawn & painted by hand, then a full photo taken of the entire plate & scene.... so those guys in the striped jerseys likely lay-in photos, the other grouped players in solid dark & lights photos as in a collage. The spectators as well likely real people, real photos & dropped in. Primitive photoshop.

Iain Fyffe 02-08-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 77252529)
Interesting. Could be a few reasons for that.

They weren't very strict about uniforms back in the day, sometimes some players of a team would have new sweaters while other still wore their older ones, as long as they were reasonably similar. In this case it looks like white versus dark, so there would be no trouble with different sweaters being use.

Killion 02-08-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe (Post 79647917)
They weren't very strict about uniforms back in the day...

No they wouldnt have been, come as you are, just wear dark or light, old or new, no matter, make do. Though in this case I do wonder if it isnt early photoshop. Some of those players seem out of step, out of time & out of place.