HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Danny Markov to Nashville! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=157402)

Sum1winachampionship 08-02-2005 12:04 PM

Philly.com reporting Markov traded to Preds

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/12284336.htm

"To make cap room for all four players, the Flyers traded defenseman Danny Markov to the Nashville Predators, according to league sources. That trade will be announced later today."

Any idea what could be going the other way??

Enoch 08-02-2005 12:05 PM

Danny Markov to Nashville!

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/12284336.htm

Apparently they dealt him to us....at least thats what a philly paper is reporting. I'm not surprised this happend as it looked like we would not be able to compete for a defensemen in this market.

Lets hope this is a good deal for us. One would assume the asking price was not to rich considering Clarke just added 3 defensemen in one day and needed to stay below the cap. Still, knowing Poile, I am sure it was a fair deal for both teams.

Who could we have dealt or what?

I hope it wasn't Upshall, but maybe one of our Russians we can't get to come over ? (pipe dream I know)

Danny netted Justin Williams last year. He is very talented, although a little dumb at times.

barrytrotzsneck 08-02-2005 12:49 PM

Philly is having a press conference in ten minutes to announce their signings, where I imagine they'll announce the trade as well.

crossxcheck 08-02-2005 12:50 PM

hey, the way things are going I consider this trade a good pickup for the preds. Now, if we could pick up another #4/#5 d-man and a top-line center we'd be in business.

PredsMan 08-02-2005 12:58 PM

I'm pleased with this...

We needed another top 4 D-man...

as long as we didn't give up too much, I'm happy.

ATG 08-02-2005 01:09 PM

You guys gave up a 3rd round pick for him.As a leaf fan let me say that's a great deal for Markov. He started his career here in Toronto and is a presence on the ice

crossxcheck 08-02-2005 01:18 PM

yeah, a 3rd for a top 4 d-man is a good deal in my book. I'm very pleased we didn't have to give up klein or upshall.

SmokeyClause 08-02-2005 01:19 PM

Any idea whether he will come back to the NHL? I haven't heard anything on that front but getting him for only a 3rd worries me. I'm just being paranoid but this almost seems too good to be true.

barrytrotzsneck 08-02-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Any idea whether he will come back to the NHL? I haven't heard anything on that front but getting him for only a 3rd worries me. I'm just being paranoid but this almost seems too good to be true.

It's a salary dump. He's under contract, and he's legally obligated to come back unless he's given permission not to(I assume the case with Arkhipov)

At any rate, I love this trade. He's a clear upgrade over Eaton, and gives us our most physical d-man since Boughner...but ten years younger than Boogie and more skilled. At this point...I say bring Eaton back, sign a center...and we're done with our offseason moves. Gotta love that Flyers fans are livid about this trade. Kind of tells you what we just got.

crossxcheck 08-02-2005 01:27 PM

smokey, I know what you mean, but clarke isn't exactly the most brilliant GM in the world. Not to mention with all their signings today they needed to dump some salary. I am crossing my fingers that this is a steal and we haven't been duped.

SmokeyClause 08-02-2005 01:29 PM

I know it's likely a salary dump. Still, Markov for a third rounder is incredible. We basically took Shane Hnidy and turned him into Danny Markov. It just seems too good to be true.

barrytrotzsneck 08-02-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

I know it's likely a salary dump. Still, Markov for a third rounder is incredible. We basically took Shane Hnidy and turned him into Danny Markov. It just seems too good to be true.

It's actually Hutch for Markov. Hnidy got us a fourth.

Radulov for Czar* 08-02-2005 01:34 PM

So I imagine right now, our D looks like this:

Timonen - Suter
Zidlicky - Markov
Hamhuis - Weber

SmokeyClause 08-02-2005 01:34 PM

Regardless, it still seems too good to be true.

Now the question is, who is he paired with? He's a little on the wild side for a defensive defenseman and Timonen is a little on the conservative for an offensive Dman. Is it a match made in heaven?

And Jonesey, no way is Suter on the top pairing!

barrytrotzsneck 08-02-2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Regardless, it still seems too good to be true.

Now the question is, who is he paired with? He's a little on the wild side for a defensive defenseman and Timonen is a little on the conservative for an offensive Dman. Is it a match made in heaven?

And Jonesey, no way is Suter on the top pairing!

Yeah, I just digitally pimpslapped him for that, via AIM.

Enoch 08-02-2005 01:45 PM

I'm ecstatic. A third rounder? Bobby Clarke is the wierdest animal of a GM. He gives up a blue-chipper/warrior type in Justin Williams to get Danny Markov. Then he goes out on an UFA shopping spree and signs too many players causing him to dump Markov for a third round pick.

There has to be a lot of pissed teams right now that wanted to get Markov for a third. I think Philadelphia figured two things 1) We are in the west, while they are in the east......never hurts to deal across conferences 2) I think they expect us to fall on our face with our division getting stronger by the day. I think their gamble will not pay off, but thanks for Markov Clarke :D. He is much better than any deadline deal that would cost us a third round pick anyways (Shane Hnidy, Bombadir......:D)

NH_Predsfan 08-02-2005 01:51 PM

Don't get me wrong....this trade looks *amazing* on paper. But why are the fans in Philly talking about his drinking? I'm having visions of Karalahti flashing through my head. Oh please, let that not be the case.

jstreet 08-02-2005 01:56 PM

I will personally take him to AA.

This is the most exciting part for me:

The Moscow native logged over 22 minutes of ice time per game (22:36) for the third consecutive season. He also suited up for all 18 of the Flyers’ 2004 playoff games, led the entire NHL with a +17 rating and averaged over 23 minutes of ice time per postseason game (23:02).

from np.com

barrytrotzsneck 08-02-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH_Predsfan
Don't get me wrong....this trade looks *amazing* on paper. But why are the fans in Philly talking about his drinking? I'm having visions of Karalahti flashing through my head. Oh please, let that not be the case.

karalahti's drinking wasn't the problem. it was the fact that he was in the rehab program for doing coke, which kept him from ANY sort of substance. I've seen more than a few Preds having a little too much fun at the Trace, Jacksons and Tin Angel.

NH_Predsfan 08-02-2005 02:07 PM

I know Karalahti's original problem was coke. Though if you remember, he got himself clean. The real problem was that he wouldn't abide by the NHL's substance abuse program which required abstinance from alcohol.

In any event, my point wasn't to suggest that they had identical substance abuse problems (or alleged problems in this case), but rather to point out that there are some Philly fans (including a moderator) talking about Markov's drinking and injury issues. And I don't think it's unreasonable to say hmmm....I wonder if there's something to that given that we just got him for an incredible steal?

Verbal Kint* 08-02-2005 02:10 PM

You guys got a helluva player in one helluva deal.

Congratulations, and I extend my well wishes to both Markov and his team, and I assure you that any other Leaf fan with his/her head on straight will be doing the same.

jstreet 08-02-2005 02:26 PM

much appreciated. Im not worried about the talk, by evidence of his production he cant have too many problems

golfmade 08-02-2005 03:15 PM

Woot, great trade! Welcome to Smashville Markov!!!

Roger's Pancreas* 08-02-2005 03:35 PM

I've never really heard about Markov's drinking "problem" but I do know that he enjoys a drink and wont give up smoking. After practices he would supposably go out and catch a smoke, basically sneaking out though because Hitch hates it so much.

As a Flyer fan I'm pretty steamed right now because Markov was a warrior. Giving him up for a third while getting a second for Fedoruk doesn't make much sense, except for a salary dump. Even then though it should have been Desjardinis being shown the door. God this is one that I want back.

hockeyfan125 08-02-2005 04:25 PM

Timonen - Suter
Zidlicky - Markov
Hamhuis - Weber

In 2-3 years, say hello to the best defense in hockey.