HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Proposal: Byfuglien (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1574385)

heilongjetsfan 01-04-2014 08:49 AM

Byfuglien

Jets fan coming in (mostly) peace. My mom was a flyers fan growing up and they've always been one of my "other teams."

There's another post going strong here on your boards that suggests a trade for buff and montoya revolving around Mark Streit and some other crap that you don't want laying around. Nothing against Streit as a player, I've really liked him even as far back as his days with the Habs, but obviously at this point in his career, his trade value is next to nothing.

Winnipeg BADLY needs an LHD who can handle 2nd pairing commitments or better. We would like to add some depth on the wings, too. I think a trade that could benefit both teams would go something like this:

To Winnipeg:
Braydon Coburn
Wayne Simmonds
2014 4th round pick
2015 2nd round pick *conditional on flyers making the east final*

To Philadelphia:
Dustin Byfuglien

That is all.

I know there's going to be a couple homers who are going to try to tell me I'm trying to rob you blind, or that Buff is a hack. The truth is he's an all-star invitee, has been a league leader in shot attempts, and points by defensemen for the last 4 years and is on a very reasonable contract.

Why do we want to move him? We don't even a little bit want to move him, but we've got too much talent (Buff, Bogo, Trouba, Redmond, Postma) in our RHD corps to benefit from all of it. You don't want Bogo or Trouba getting 3rd pairing minutes, they're just too good.

Let me know what you guys think of this - unless of course you're going to give me a bag of pucks counter. I haven't checked how it works for cap space for either team but someone let me know if it's not workable that way.

BrindamoursNose 01-04-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan (Post 77296731)
Jets fan coming in (mostly) peace. My mom was a flyers fan growing up and they've always been one of my "other teams."

There's another post going strong here on your boards that suggests a trade for buff and montoya revolving around Mark Streit and some other crap that you don't want laying around. Nothing against Streit as a player, I've really liked him even as far back as his days with the Habs, but obviously at this point in his career, his trade value is next to nothing.

Winnipeg BADLY needs an LHD who can handle 2nd pairing commitments or better. We would like to add some depth on the wings, too. I think a trade that could benefit both teams would go something like this:

To Winnipeg:
Braydon Coburn
Wayne Simmonds
2014 4th round pick

To Philadelphia:
Dustin Byfuglien

That is all.

I know there's going to be a couple homers who are going to try to tell me I'm trying to rob you blind, or that Buff is a hack. The truth is he's an all-star invitee, has been a league leader in shot attempts, and points by defensemen for the last 4 years and is on a very reasonable contract.

Why do we want to move him? We don't even a little bit want to move him, but we've got too much talent (Buff, Bogo, Trouba, Redmond, Postma) in our RHD corps to benefit from all of it. You don't want Bogo or Trouba getting 3rd pairing minutes, they're just too good.

Let me know what you guys think of this - unless of course you're going to give me a bag of pucks counter. I haven't checked how it works for cap space for either team but someone let me know if it's not workable that way.

I just think it's too much to give for Buff.

wahoowa 01-04-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan (Post 77296731)

To Winnipeg:
Braydon Coburn
Wayne Simmonds
2014 4th round pick

To Philadelphia:
Dustin Byfuglien

That is all.

Our best D and the leading goal-scorer on our team for Buff? Not to mention the inclusion of draft pick(s)... You're not going to like the response.

FlyersFan61290 01-04-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoowa (Post 77296897)
Our best D and the leading goal-scorer on our team for Buff? Not to mention the inclusion of draft pick(s)... You're not going to like the response.

Yeah, this.

No way in hell to be frank.

4thline4life 01-04-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoowa (Post 77296897)

But we're just being homers for not liking the proposal:laugh::laugh: buff has 31 points but is -11. he's average at absolutely best playing defense. Coupled with losing our top scorer and best defenseman, this trade makes us considerably worse and not sure how OP could think otherwise.

Prongo 01-04-2014 09:28 AM

Don't want Buff anywhere near this team(Have made this known before) and if we are offering two roster players+ anything, I rather make that+a 1st and target a big time defender. Buff doesn't give us the all around defender this team lacks.

JDinkalage Morgoone 01-04-2014 09:33 AM

I wouldn't do it.

dookie88 01-04-2014 09:44 AM

I like how this guy points out that anyone not liking his proposal is a homer.

SeanCWombBroom 01-04-2014 09:45 AM

First Counter:

Coburn, B.Schenn, 2nd round pick 2014

Big Buff

Why: You get the piece you want, plus a C/LW (another desire), plus a 2nd to try to bring the value closer for a guy in a logjammed spot on your team's roster.

JDinkalage Morgoone 01-04-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 77298445)
First Counter:

Coburn, B.Schenn, 2nd round pick 2014

Big Buff

Why: You get the piece you want, plus a C/LW (another desire), plus a 2nd to try to bring the value closer for a guy in a logjammed spot on your team's roster.

You think that highly of Byfuglien? That seems like a lot to pay to me.

Cyborg LeClair 01-04-2014 09:47 AM

I'd say Buff is maybe worth Simmonds+4th

But even then, I don't like Buff and his fat, lazy, defense.

Appleyard 01-04-2014 09:52 AM

Seeing as Coburn is actually a better defenceman in his own zone that Buff...

And Simmonds is our topscorer since he joined us, with 56 goals (Hartnell: 53, G: 52, Jake: 49, Read: 45) and has been top 35 in the NHL in goalscoring during that time, and top 25 amongst wingers... he has only 3 less goals than Evander Kane in that time.

I think Coburn would arguably be Pegs best D man in his own zone as well... as much as he gets ragged on at times.

And then picks on top... no thanks.

No sure I would even want Buff on the Flyers fullstop.

SeanCWombBroom 01-04-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 77298519)
You think that highly of Byfuglien? That seems like a lot to pay to me.

Buff is underrated a bit on this part of the board. Flyers need more transition, strong point shots, and more options on the PP (I feel they're lacking a bit of creativity on the PP).

In addition, Coburn (like Buff) has 2 years left on contract and could bolt (like Buff). Coburn is also inconsistent, as a team builder, I dislike it. Not sure I'd be willing to overpay him next contract. I'd be more willing to take the risk on Buff, who has flashes of dominance.

B.Schenn is -- everyone has an opinion....and with Laughton, don't the Flyers already have two natural centers playing wing? Flyers need winger depth, that's why I removed Simmonds (plus he's too good).

and I don't value 2nd round picks highly.

B.Schenn is honestly the piece that I would regret losing, but you have to give to get.

Cyborg LeClair 01-04-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 77298791)
Buff is underrated a bit on this part of the board. Flyers need more transition, strong point shots, and more options on the PP (I feel they're lacking a bit of creativity on the PP).

In addition, Coburn (like Buff) has 2 years left on contract and could bolt (like Buff). Coburn is also inconsistent, as a team builder, I dislike it. Not sure I'd be willing to overpay him next contract. I'd be more willing to take the risk on Buff, who has flashes of dominance.

B.Schenn is -- everyone has an opinion....and with Laughton, don't the Flyers already have two natural centers playing wing? Flyers need winger depth, that's why I removed Simmonds (plus he's too good).

and I don't value 2nd round picks highly.

B.Schenn is honestly the piece that I would regret losing, but you have to give to get.

Our biggest issue on the PP is our defenseman (Timonen, Streit) losing the puck and being too slow to prevent a shorthanded breakaway. Buff weighs 350 lbs and skates like it, he's not going to be any help.

OgbertTheNerd 01-04-2014 10:02 AM

I wouldn't to that deal as a Flyers fan but, could you imagine Buff replacing Kimmo on the PP for next season and beyond? Giroux feeding Buff with one timers :amazed:.

Jray42 01-04-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd (Post 77299243)
I wouldn't to that deal as a Flyers fan but, could you imagine Buff replacing Kimmo on the PP for next season and beyond? Giroux feeding Buff with one timers :amazed:.

Since buff is right handed, this is nearly impossible if you want to keep Giroux in his PP spot.

And to the OP's proposal: hell no, but thanks for the laugh :laugh:

JDinkalage Morgoone 01-04-2014 10:07 AM

If we're talking deadline, I'd be much more interested in adding a Dman a la Grossmann was a couple years ago. I'd want to try and get someone to add to the 3rd pair for a 2nd + 3rd, or something like that.

OgbertTheNerd 01-04-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jray42 (Post 77299385)
Since buff is right handed, this is nearly impossible if you want to keep Giroux in his PP spot.

And to the OP's proposal: hell no, but thanks for the laugh :laugh:

DAMN YOU!!! You just killed my dreams.

BringBackStevens 01-04-2014 10:11 AM

I wouldn't do that trade, I wouldn't even consider it

FLYERSFAN18 01-04-2014 10:18 AM

IMO we should plan on keeping Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Read, Laughton, the Schenns, Coburn, Morin, Ghost, and Hagg. We don't need to give up on our young players. We all knew that there would be growing pains when we traded Richards and Carter and especially when Pronger was lost for good. Im not saying that we can't trade any of those players, but they should only be traded for a #1 D. If we can get first round picks for Hartnell and/or Lecavalier you do it. If someone is crazy enough to give up value for Streit we should do it.

One defenseman I would be interested in is Ehrhoff. He is not the sexiest name to upgrade the defense, but I think we might be able to get him without giving up any of the players I named or first round picks.

The perfect trade deadline/free agency would be trading Hartnell or Lecavalier for a 1st. Then packaging that first with one of our 1st from 2014 or 2015 for Ryan. Also trading for a guy like Ehrhoff. Next season we could have:

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Downie
Raffl/McGinn-Laughton-Hall

Ehrhoff-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
Gus-Schenn

Mason

Mota 01-04-2014 10:39 AM

Buff is not enough of an upgrade over Coburn to justify that trade. If they Flyers are going to give up key assets in a deal, it needs to be for a top tier dman like Weber. I'd rather give an arm and a leg for Weber than give an arm for Buff.

Dirty but Good 01-04-2014 10:42 AM

Quit it with the Defense trade proposals. That was last year need.

Flyers need a top line winger before any big name d-man.

Curufinwe 01-04-2014 10:47 AM

That's false, the defense looks shocking next year without Kimmo. Grossmann or Schenn would be on the top pairing.

But this proposal is a bad one for Philly. We need to keep Coburn and find a strong skating offensive defenseman to play with him.

flyershockey 01-04-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty but Good (Post 77301465)
Quit it with the Defense trade proposals. That was last year need.

Flyers need a top line winger before any big name d-man.

Not unless you think Kimmo Timonen is easily replaceable in the off season. I would give strong consideration to Big Buff, but not for that package.

flyershockey 01-04-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 77301731)
That's false, the defense looks shocking next year without Kimmo. Grossmann or Schenn would be on the top pairing.

But this proposal is a bad one for Philly. We need to keep Coburn and find a strong skating offensive defenseman to play with him.

The Flyers are really in a bind with the defense. They obviously want to give guys like Morin, Hagg, Ghost, and Alt every chance to become impact defensemen, but they're all 2-3 years away from that point, if they even get to that level. And they can't just roll with what they have for the next couple of years, not unless they no plans of being remotely competitive. But, they can't give a couple middle of the pack UFA defensemen 5-6 year deals only to watch them potentially get outplayed in 3-4 years when their prospects are ready to be big time players.

I guess the hope is that you can bring in some UFA's on shorter deals, but the better options out there want those longer deals, and they'll likely find someone to give it to them.