HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Giroux not selected to Team Canada. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1576795)

zamboni88 01-07-2014 10:21 AM

Giroux not selected to Team Canada.

Giroux not selected to Team Canada. I guess he should have participated in orientation camp.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440552

--------------------------

Mod edit with confirmed articles

Quote:

NEWARK, N.J. -- Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux received the news he wouldn't be headed to the 2014 Sochi Olympics for Canada while preparing for his team's morning skate at Prudential Center on Tuesday.

It wasn't easy.

"[Canada general manager] Steve Yzerman called me [Tuesday] morning; it was a quick talk," Giroux said. "It's obviously disappointing. It was one of my dreams to play for Canada but there's a lot of good players from Canada and the names announced are talented, good players. It's disappointing, but it happens."

Giroux acknowledged the best medicine was the fact he'll lead his club in a Metropolitan Division game with the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday.

"Some believe everything happens for a reason, and if I didn't make this team, there's a reason behind it," he said. "But I'm not upset or mad. It's a tough day, but it's a good thing I have a game so I can just put this behind me and keep moving forward."

Devils coach Peter DeBoer was surprised when informed Giroux was not named to the team.

"Wow," DeBoer said. "I'm a big fan. So for me, he's one of the top five or 10 guys on my list. But I'm not Steve Yzerman and not Hockey Canada, and those are tough decisions. That's my two cents."

Flyers coach Craig Berube was also a bit perplexed by the decision.

"I am surprised he didn't make it, but again, there are a lot of good players," Berube said. "It's not easy to pick those teams."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=24851

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

NEWARK — From the beginning of the season, Claude Giroux has been stressed out.

It was fine and well that he got one preseason game under his belt after recovering from an early August hand injury so he could play in the Flyers’ season opener.

To him, he was already behind the 8-ball.

He had missed a late-August orientation camp for Team Canada to rehab the hand, which purportedly put some doubt into his Olympic chances.

Tuesday, the Canadian Olympic squad was announced in suburban Toronto and Giroux was not one of the 14 forwards named to the team.

“I did the best I could,” Giroux said of his first three months and change of the season, basically an audition for Canada’s decision makers. “I think having a bad start personally and with the team – I think we bounced back pretty hard. We’ve been playing pretty good. We’ve had a lot of road games lately and it’s good to be back on track.”
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...lympic-roster/

JDinkalage Morgoone 01-07-2014 10:23 AM

If this is true I don't really care. Good for team USA and good for Giroux to get some rest. This will likely light a fire under his ass too, he isn;'t the type to take this rejection lightly.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 01-07-2014 10:25 AM

Wow, he got snubbed. I don't believe it. Jeff Carter made it...

RespectTheCouts 01-07-2014 10:27 AM

Kunitz made it over G, just let that set in

FlyersFan61290 01-07-2014 10:29 AM

USA all the way. I'm glad actually, why would I want one of my favorite Flyers on the team I would be hoping gets embarrassed?

JohnnyOnTheSpot 01-07-2014 10:29 AM

You know what, eff it. Can't wait to see the chip on his shoulder post-Olympics.

RussianRocket10 01-07-2014 10:30 AM

Good. He can rest up during the Olympic break and play really well to end the season and into the playoffs.

Insulin 01-07-2014 10:30 AM

I mean as an American and Flyers fan I guess this is a good thing, but wow I'm pissed off.

Beef Invictus 01-07-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 77521849)
Wow, he got snubbed. I don't believe it. Jeff Carter made it...

Carter was a bit of a snub last time.

I love this news. Let G get rested and light a fire under his ass, and it helps improve team USA's chances.

Kevin Danko 01-07-2014 10:32 AM

Hopefully G uses it as motivation to show up every night.

Fragmuffin 01-07-2014 10:32 AM

I like it... now I really have no reason what so ever to cheer for canada :) And I'll enjoy watchin G prove em wrong!

Yukon Cornelius 01-07-2014 10:33 AM

Rick Nash, Chris Kunitz and Jeff Carter over Claude Giroux...

Awesome presentation by the way boys, understated brevity at it's finest.

BillDineen 01-07-2014 10:34 AM

As a Canadian, I am pissed off. Just idiotic.

FreshPerspective 01-07-2014 10:34 AM

Rick Nash is a travesty....:shakehead

Cekmate 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

What a joke

Hiesenberg 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

So Giroux didn't make it because of a slow start, but Rick Nash has 18 pts this year and makes it?

Sure...I see the logic there.

Beef Invictus 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius (Post 77523239)
Rick Nash, Chris Kunitz and Jeff Carter over Claude Giroux...

Hahaha, Nash over Giroux?

That's worse than any of the US snubs. Nash has been completely brutal, he's on pace for about 15 goals this year.

zamboni88 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshPerspective (Post 77523343)
Rick Nash is a travesty....:shakehead

What about Stamkos? Yzerman taking his broken boy over G. This could come back to haunt him and the Lightning.

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-07-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius (Post 77523239)

There was a pretentious oscillation in the theory that "brevity is the soul of nitwit."

orangecrush8 01-07-2014 10:36 AM

This is pure *********.

Chris ****ing Kunitz. Are you ****ing kidding me?

But thank god we have Rick Nash.

This makes me sick to my stomach right now

1865 01-07-2014 10:37 AM

I love this for the Flyers but hate it for Giroux. How many olympics can a player get in his career? It's a disgusting snub.

CanadianFlyer88 01-07-2014 10:38 AM

Not surprised about Giroux.

Kunitz and Nash are surprising, but Canada isn't very strong on left wing, so someone has to play there.

I'm happy for Carter; he'll play well on the big ice.

chimrichalds18 01-07-2014 10:40 AM

Also feel badly for St. Louis. Would've liked to have seen him have one last shot at the Olympics.

Alchemy 01-07-2014 10:40 AM

Good. I hoped this would happen. Hopefully this will light a fire under his ass and take his game to the next level.

Hiesenberg 01-07-2014 10:41 AM

Giroux has the most points in the last 3 years outside of Malkin.

But he had a crappy October...