HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Look-up line (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1577425)

American in Paris 01-08-2014 02:31 AM

Look-up line

Seems like an interesting idea:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/6...en-fenway-2014

Not sure it will make much of a difference. My experience is that most board injuries happen when guys loose an edge or get pushed from behind.

tarheelhockey 01-08-2014 01:25 PM

I would imagine that the player quotes hit it on the head: during the course of a hard play near the boards, the last thing you're looking at are the lines on the ice. It might help prevent the odd injury, but there are probably better solutions out there.

MattGTI 01-08-2014 04:04 PM

Thats what I was thinking.

Basically at any level, if you are battling for a puck, or possesion of it, or to attain it- the last thing you are going to worry about, look at, or even take into consideration is an arbitrary line. I call it an arbitrary line, only due to the fact that it isn't like the blue line, where it actually comes into play, and a whistle could occur.

Canadiens1958 01-08-2014 05:17 PM

Previously

Around 1915 the PCHA introduced a no checking within 10 feet of the boards rule. So a line denoting a safety zone or inner perimeter is nothing new just an update. Also the look-up line or inner perimeter is no different than pro football sideline markings, hash marks, etc.

Elite athletes have always been able to recognize, process and respect such markings. Evidence the trapizoid. No one missed it in the heat of action when it was introduced. Also elite hockey players use the various on ice markings for positioning, executing plays and moves so the recognition issue is a non-factor.

There are two big concerns with any type of additional on ice markings.

A look-up line or inner perimeter would subdivide the ice surface into more zones. This enables and facilitates defensive strategies. Does hockey want to lower scoring?

While the look-up line or inner perimeter would serve as a warning it w2ould also serve as a funnel to hitting for players coming inside from the safe zone. One or two game test would not be very revealing of this possibility.

scryan 01-08-2014 05:18 PM

I mean I guess if your racing in towards the boards looking down you could see a dark line come into view and be cued you were near the edge... But I have NEVER seen anyone at that level (any level?) skate head down straight into the boards with out realizing they are approaching.

Yeah, Probably not invented by a hockey player lol.

Torquenstein 01-09-2014 02:51 AM

I think it's stupid. After playing more than 10 minutes you should know where the boards are. It's not like a rink is changing over time.

Jarick 01-09-2014 01:18 PM

I can't imagine that would be very effective.

Side note, why are boards colored white?

Sleepy 01-11-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 (Post 77623731)
A look-up line or inner perimeter would subdivide the ice surface into more zones. This enables and facilitates defensive strategies. Does hockey want to lower scoring?

Hmm... I don't quite get the logic here. If there's less checking near the boards, doesn't that open up offense as forwards can try and fly by the D without fearing a hip check?

I sure would try a lot more crazy things near the boards if I wasn't worried about a body check.

Canadiens1958 01-11-2014 08:09 PM

Wider International Rink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy (Post 77818935)
Hmm... I don't quite get the logic here. If there's less checking near the boards, doesn't that open up offense as forwards can try and fly by the D without fearing a hip check?

I sure would try a lot more crazy things near the boards if I wasn't worried about a body check.

Wider international hockey on a wider rink does not support your contention. You are not going to score often from the boards and the defensive players will clutter even more to the inside knowing that you have to come inside to be effective.