HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   24-14-4 Since Berube took over (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1578057)

Crescent Street 01-08-2014 09:56 PM

24-14-4 Since Berube took over

Amazing to think what some of us on this board were suggesting right around that disaster at home to the Capitals. Funny how a few wins and goals can change everything.

BillyShoe1721 01-08-2014 10:46 PM

And that doesn't even consider the time right after Berube was hired where the team was still adapting to his system and he was implementing changes.

RJ8812* 01-08-2014 10:52 PM

Lavy was a good coach, but he didn't have the right mix of players to run his system successfully anymore (lots of forwards with defensive smarts and puck moving defenseman)

Berube has done a great job

flyguy 01-08-2014 11:03 PM

Keep it rolling Chief. Straight into the Olympics. Play them hard into the break, get the respite, and then come out as strong as they went in.

Although, knowing this team, they will probably struggle after the Olympics.

FlyersFan61290 01-08-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 77645441)
And that doesn't even consider the time right after Berube was hired where the team was still adapting to his system and he was implementing changes.

Yeah after the 1-7 start they are 23-10-4

:clap:

LegionOfDoom91 01-08-2014 11:06 PM

Although we aren't too banged up the Olympic break can't come sooner.

Vinny is a guy who I think will benefit the most from it.

flyguy 01-08-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 77645897)
Lavy was a good coach, but he didn't have the right mix of players to run his system successfully anymore (lots of forwards with defensive smarts and puck moving defenseman)

Berube has done a great job

I honestly think that Lavy's approach was just becoming stale. He wasn't reaching the players the same way he was 2-3 years ago. I like what Berube's done defensively (there is much more support from the forwards than under Lavy). Though he hasn't seemed to have done as much to change the offensive game, IMO.

LegionOfDoom91 01-08-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 77647225)
I honestly think that Lavy's approach was just becoming stale. He wasn't reaching the players the same way he was 2-3 years ago. I like what Berube's done defensively (there is much more support from the forwards than under Lavy). Though he hasn't seemed to have done as much to change the offensive game, IMO.

Offensively for what reason it may be it seems like only one line is allowed to contribute at a time this season so far. They rotate every week of so but never can we have two lines clicking or god for bid all three at once.

We're getting some production from our backend lately which is pretty shocking to me considering there really isn't much offensive talent overall back there.

achdumeingute 01-08-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 77647225)

ask isles and canes fans. He is a 3 yr coach.

personally I don't think he is all that great. He can't adjust imo.

The team defense, with basically the same players, looks drastically better under berube.

FreshPerspective 01-09-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 77647547)
Offensively for what reason it may be it seems like only one line is allowed to contribute at a time this season so far. They rotate every week of so but never can we have two lines clicking or god for bid all three at once.

We're getting some production from our backend lately which is pretty shocking to me considering there really isn't much offensive talent overall back there.

The production from the backend has been key... we weren't able to keep teams honest since our D wasn't much of a threat. They are more active ...credit Berube for getting them more involved . It is so annoying that Lavi stuck around as long as he did. The Boston and then the Devils debacle where he was completely out-coached really had me believing his days were numbered. I really wanted him gone after last season along with troublemaker Bryz.

I had my doubts about Berube and some of his roster decisions in the beginning annoyed me but he has been way better than Lavi in working with what he has and mixing things up in a more complementary way with the personnel. Lavi was a stubborn dude and really stunk at adjusting. Adapt or die as they say...

BrindamoursNose 01-09-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshperspective (Post 77649949)
i had my doubts about berube and some of his roster decisions in the beginning annoyed me but he has been way better than lavi in working with what he has and mixing things up in a more complementary way with the personnel. Lavi was a stubborn dude and really stunk at adjusting. Adapt or die as they say...

but his timeouts were legendary!!!!

GoneFullHextall 01-09-2014 12:35 AM

he was 1-4 in his first 5. 23-10-4 since.
still drives me a bit nuts with some of his personel moves but overall he has done a really good job.

EDIT: FlyersFan61290 beat me to the record stat.

Falsetto Kaiba 01-09-2014 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshPerspective (Post 77649949)
The production from the backend has been key... we weren't able to keep teams honest since our D wasn't much of a threat. They are more active ...credit Berube for getting them more involved . It is so annoying that Lavi stuck around as long as he did. The Boston and then the Devils debacle where he was completely out-coached really had me believing his days were numbered. I really wanted him gone after last season along with troublemaker Bryz.

I had my doubts about Berube and some of his roster decisions in the beginning annoyed me but he has been way better than Lavi in working with what he has and mixing things up in a more complementary way with the personnel. Lavi was a stubborn dude and really stunk at adjusting. Adapt or die as they say...

This. Completely. The way is game is played today forces the D to be more active and to push the play to accentuate the forwards. This puts the Flyers in an awkward position against teams like Dallas and the Avs who have speed up and down their lineups since we dont have the greatest two-way forward corps. But as long as our D makes smart decisions with the puck in the O zone we can put pressure on teams since we do have a solid mix of grit and playmaking that can give any team matchup problems

StandingCow 01-09-2014 01:12 AM

Yep, people need to stay patient... it takes a new system a while to become 2nd nature to the players.... as well as them having to buy into it.

I love chief's system... seems to me to be really similar to how boston plays.

tymed 01-09-2014 04:01 AM

They're game was different from the first shift with Ruby behind the bench. I've maintained this whole time that his mini-camp and the emotional meltdown in Washington were the 2 biggest events or factors in the turnaround and still feel the same. The boys are buying in on Berube.

1865 01-09-2014 04:32 AM

Of course there were rumblings of discontent, we weren't playing well and seemed to be getting no better. He's really turned it around though. We're actually playing to a system now and managing to play D whilst also going for goals. It's fun to watch, although we're still taking too many penalties and turnovers are like currency out there.

Psuhockey 01-09-2014 04:59 AM

It's not just the system IMO. I think Berube, with probably some help from Laperriere, have done an excellent job of getting players to move their feet more and out of their respective funks it seems each one was in. Luke Schenn and Meszaros are two guys playing a lot better. They even managed to squeeze some offense out of Raffl which a lot of fans thought was impossible. Getting the most out of the players on this team is important because it is not talented compared to the truly elite teams or its talent is still young and developing. I have a lot more faith in this staff handling young players than Laviolette.

I also like his demeanor. Laviolette was an emotional guy behind the bench, which I think appeals to a lot of fans because they too are emotional but a team can't play on emotion for 6 months. I have always thought a calm coach was a lot more successful like Babcock. Berube seems the same way, never too high or too low. That helps when situations turn bad and could explain the many 3rd period comebacks this team has had.

BreakfastatMarios 01-09-2014 05:49 AM

I thought there was too much skill on this team to have started the season as bad as the Flyers Did. I for one thought that the Flyers would bounce back and make a playoff spot considering the division the Flyers are in.

Congrats to this point Flyers Fans, hope to see ya in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and God willing a Winter Classic at Beaver Stadium, imagined the 24x7 lead up to that game.

dawkins121 01-09-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios (Post 77655437)
I thought there was too much skill on this team to have started the season as bad as the Flyers Did. I for one thought that the Flyers would bounce back and make a playoff spot considering the division the Flyers are in.

Congrats to this point Flyers Fans, hope to see ya in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and God willing a Winter Classic at Beaver Stadium, imagined the 24x7 lead up to that game.

This really needs to happen.

Prongo 01-09-2014 08:28 AM

A lot of people weren't thrilled with the hiring at the time. Same old they don't hire outside the org blah blah blah. He has done a fantastic job, especially on defense. Also, players without the puck. He preaches this nonstop, and rightfully so. Players are in the right spot more than not and our defense in zone is like night and day compared to Lavy's. He deserves big praises for the turnaround.

One major problem I still have with this damn team is they go offsides still way too much. They really need to cut down on it. Blows a lot of rushes for them, and that's where our centers are usually the best, especially Giroux.

RJ8812* 01-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 77658091)
This really needs to happen.

Well, I don't think any future 24/7 series can be any worse than this past year's

Crescent Street 01-09-2014 10:02 AM

I think the biggest thing I'm seeing in our team is body language/confidence with the puck. Those first 3 games with Lavy, then the next week or 2 as players were adjusting to Berube we looked like AHL call ups playing our first pro game. Passes never connected, so many 1 and done plays in the O zone, zero compete level.

Another obvious improvement is the synchronicity between the Defensemen and Forwards. Forwards are always low supporting the break outs, there is always an open man to pass to when leaving the zone. Under Lavy break outs were a keystone cops type disaster every time. Heavy fore-checking teams would kill us. That's been changing a little bit under Berube (2 wins against the Devils now). Looks like Berube has been watching a ton of Bruins tape. Their breakouts are nearly identical now.

I also never would have imagined the Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds line to do anything productive besides flub the puck and fall down but it's proving to be a nightmare of a match up for opposing teams. I think this line happened by chance though with Harts struggling and Vinny in and out as well as Reader. But good on Berube for finding it and sticking with it.

Last but not least, Mason's stabilizing presence has really grounded this team into a confident, determined team. Knowing your goalie is capable of saving your ass every now and then allows forwards to breathe a little and grip the stick a little less.

However, there are still a few problems that need to be cleaned up.

1) Despite Giroux's turn around he and Voracek still refuse to shoot the puck from time to time - it's maddening. They need to be far more aggressive shooting the puck more.

2) I don't know how much longer I'd trust Vandevelde and Rinaldo on the 2nd PK. I know we have a hole with Reader out - but that spells trouble to me sooner or later.

3) I still prefer Gustafsson over Meszaros any day of the week.

2 Honorable Mentions, Timonen with a slight improvement to his disaster of a start. And Adam Hall for always providing consistent hard-checking play.

Curufinwe 01-09-2014 11:19 AM

I think VdV looks really solid on the PK.

gto64dr 01-09-2014 04:38 PM

I think the main factor you all are missing. Goaltending. Lavy was saddled with a garbage nutcase goalie.

Sniped 01-09-2014 04:48 PM

The Flyers are reminding me of the Boston Bruins under Berube, but with a worse defense.

They have been on an impressive streak though.