HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Player Discussion: Cal Heeter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1580843)

DeflatedFootball7 01-12-2014 06:25 PM

Cal Heeter
 
Well I figure this is about as good a time as any to start this discussion. :laugh: :cry:

Seriously. If Emery is going to be this atrociously slow every time he plays we have to get a better option.

Broad Street Elite 01-12-2014 07:08 PM

I'm fine with trying it, but remember that Heeter plays behind a veeeeery defensive system in the AHL right now. It can't be worse than Emery, but expecting a savior would be foolish.

MP92 01-12-2014 08:47 PM

May as well give him a shot. He's earned it based on his play. If he comes up and sucks, we send him back. If he comes in and plays well, we got a new backup. Nothing to lose at this point. Emery is done.

Curufinwe 01-12-2014 08:57 PM

Give 'em the Heeter.

sobrien 01-12-2014 09:00 PM

Emery is fundamentally strong, he's been on a Stanley Cup winner, and he's a friend and mentor for Mason. He's only here for a season and seldom played. I'm fine with riding his reign out. And lets be honest, love it or hate it he turned this season around by attacking Holtby (and I assume whatever he said to the team afterward).


Heeter's been rocky historically and has a notoriously short temper. Couldn't even win the starting job in the ECHL last season with Trenton. I'll give credit where credit is due though, and I'm fine with him as backup for next season.

LegionOfDoom91 01-12-2014 09:03 PM

It honestly depends on what they see in Heeter going foward? If they think he's got a little upside they may just leave him down there & get his games in.

Raffl House 01-12-2014 09:18 PM

Cool name. AHL fodder. /thread

sa cyred 01-12-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raffl House (Post 77902297)
Cool name. AHL fodder. /thread

That AHL fodder is the top goalie in the AHL right now.

Foolish if given the chance not to try him out.

Raffl House 01-12-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 77902525)
That AHL fodder is the top goalie in the AHL right now.

Foolish if given the chance not to try him out.

Sure, we can try him out. I just look at his body of work...he was soooooooo good that we pulled him out of college early, he dominated the ECHL ranks, and has been unstoppable in the "A"!

Oh, wait.

As someone pointed out earlier, the Phantoms play an extremely defensive system as I believe they are close to last in goals for, but far and away tops in goals against. Sure, I'm all for the old college try, but what about this guy warrants an NHL shot?

sa cyred 01-12-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raffl House (Post 77903047)
Sure, we can try him out. I just look at his body of work...he was soooooooo good that we pulled him out of college early, he dominated the ECHL ranks, and has been unstoppable in the "A"!

Oh, wait.

As someone pointed out earlier, the Phantoms play an extremely defensive system as I believe they are close to last in goals for, but far and away tops in goals against. Sure, I'm all for the old college try, but what about this guy warrants an NHL shot?

I have watched about 20-25 AHL games this season. I can tell you that the reason Heeter is putting up good numbers is not just because of the defensive play. He makes multiple great stops game in and out.

People seem to forget that this is his 2nd pro season. Forgot that after one AHL/ECHL season defines your career....oh wait. Also, he posted close to the same numbers both Monroe and Boucher did... on one of the worse teams in the league as a rookie. Wouldnt consider that a failure.


Not even saying he deserves to be above Emery (even if Emery is looking horrendous this season). Just some people get this thing against certain players that no matter what they do right they still suck. Heeter might not ever play in a NHL game. Ever. But "he sucks because of his rookie season stats and he plays on a defensive team this season" isnt the best argument in the world.

RJ8812 01-12-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 77900959)
Emery is fundamentally strong, he's been on a Stanley Cup winner, and he's a friend and mentor for Mason. He's only here for a season and seldom played. I'm fine with riding his reign out. And lets be honest, love it or hate it he turned this season around by attacking Holtby (and I assume whatever he said to the team afterward).


Heeter's been rocky historically and has a notoriously short temper. Couldn't even win the starting job in the ECHL last season with Trenton. I'll give credit where credit is due though, and I'm fine with him as backup for next season.

no way. highly doubt the guy becomes more than an AHL goalie. With Mason presumably being our #1 next year, you have to bring in a veteran back-up.

An injury fill-in or a sip of coffee, sure, but he shouldn't be the back-up next year

FlyersFan61290 01-12-2014 09:51 PM

Murray was coaching last year, Heeter's first pro season and he had a .908. He now leads the league with a .930. We all know ADK isn't filled with a bunch of NHL future d-man.

It's Heeter's second pro year and he is at least showing that he might have a future as a back-up. I really don't see how he could be worse then Emery at this point. I would love to see him get a shot at least.

sobrien 01-12-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 77904173)
no way. highly doubt the guy becomes more than an AHL goalie. With Mason presumably being our #1 next year, you have to bring in a veteran back-up.

An injury fill-in or a sip of coffee, sure, but he shouldn't be the back-up next year

if he earns it, he earns it. I didn't expect them to hand him the job

Flyerfan4life 01-12-2014 11:56 PM

ive seen enuf of Razor.

lets see what Heeter has..

Giroux tha Damaja 01-13-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 77900959)
Emery is fundamentally strong, he's been on a Stanley Cup winner, and he's a friend and mentor for Mason. He's only here for a season and seldom played. I'm fine with riding his reign out. And lets be honest, love it or hate it he turned this season around by attacking Holtby (and I assume whatever he said to the team afterward).

Oh boy, from the notion that Steve Mason, who's been a starting goalie for a few years now is being mentored by Emery, to the idea that Emery's fundamentals are in any way above average for an NHL goalie or that Chicago dragging him along for the ride is in any way a feather in Emery's cap...there's a lot of reaching here.

Emery's got some holes in his game that I would consider pretty fundamental for a goalie at the NHL level. And those holes are in areas where I would consider it absolutely essential for him to be strong, given how poorly he moves. He doesn't anticipate that well. He doesn't track the puck visually that well. We all know his movement laterally is god awful, and he's also slow to get his knees down and up moving in and out of the butterfly. His hands aren't above average, which they need to be with the other issues he has, since a lot of saves that should be chest saves are going to be saves where he's moving into the shot lane or reaching with his hands, do to slow movement and mediocre anticipation. And he's not some giant like a Bishop or Rinne, who can sit back in his net and minimize his mobility issues by using his size. Emery is a guy who was a bottom tier starter when he was at his best, and is now a noticably subpar NHL back-up. Relying on him to give Mason rest was a really really poor choice going into the season, especially since we didn't know what Mason was going to do. It's just been very lucky that Mason's been a rockstar so far.

Beef Invictus 01-13-2014 01:11 AM

If they miss the playoffs they might as well bring him up and see what he's got in the last few games.

dats81 01-13-2014 02:34 AM

If I remember it correctly, he had a pretty rough start into the season and has now gone on a hot streak... a stretch of less than 20 games does not seem enough for me to change his status from career AHLer to NHL backup material.

And as mentioned by other posters this Phantoms team is all about team defense...

IceHot 01-13-2014 04:23 AM

Emery's problem
 
Emery's problem is his positioning and over playing the angles, he's leaving himselve wide open nets because he can't sit his butt in the net and just go side to side post to post. The goalie coach fixed that issue with ML and he had that great run, I don't know why he hasn't pointed it out and fixed it with Emery.

Curufinwe 01-13-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 77910601)
If they miss the playoffs they might as well bring him up and see what he's got in the last few games.

If Emery starts another dozen games that might be enough to make them miss the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers 01-13-2014 07:34 AM

Where is the patience for Emery? Slow start = he is finished!

Hiesenberg 01-13-2014 07:44 AM

SV% usually is a great indicator of how well a goalie is playing. I get a low GAA for a very defensive system, but if he's giving up 2 goals out of 18 shots, it usually shows that he's mediocre. He's got an insane SV % this year.

dats81 01-13-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 77914241)
If Emery starts another dozen games that might be enough to make them miss the playoffs.

Just hope Mason bounces back and carries the load or we are royally screwed!

Curufinwe 01-13-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 77914535)
Where is the patience for Emery? Slow start = he is finished!

The problem is he's always going to be slow moving sideways because of his injury history. That will never get better, only worse.

DrinkFightFlyers 01-13-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 77915259)
The problem is he's always going to be slow moving sideways because of his injury history. That will never get better, only worse.

My point is, yet again, Flyers fans seem to have zero patience for any veteran who doesn't play well. If this was a young guy playing poorly, it would be all about not trading him have patience blah blah blah. But Emery, who was ridiculous last season, isn't playing well. People are talking about bringing up Cal Heeter and how Emery playing 12 more games might cost this team the playoffs.

Why are we counting out a guy who last season put up ridiculous numbers? Why do we not have patience for him to turn it around? You want to have patience for young players to see what they MIGHT turn into, but you don't have patience for a veteran to get back to the level that we KNOW he has reached in the past. It seems we are putting a lot more value on potential than is warranted. Now, of course I am not saying "TRADE ALL THE YOUNG GUYS FOR VETERANS!" I just find it odd that there is so much patience for youth (or at least a clamoring for this patience), but a veteran gets hurt or struggles and people want to trade him, bench him, waive him or whatever after a slow start/bad stretch/whatever. People wanted to take the ******* C away from Giroux in the beginning of the season! But they have plenty of patience for the rookies who might maybe one day possibly get close to being a regular third liner some day, maybe.

Beef Invictus 01-13-2014 09:38 AM

Have you watched him play?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.