HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   idea!!! why does carolina not pick cujo up in waiver draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15830)

hockeydude84 09-30-2003 09:27 PM

idea!!! why does carolina not pick cujo up in waiver draft

i know, i know...im not going to lie i think this is very far fetched, but it seems like IMO that carolina has a decent team this year and can make a run at a playoff spot. they improved their defence up, which is way better on paper than last year. so what i say this that why doesnt carolina, if they have the type of funds, pick cujo up in the waiver draft. that would give them a star goaltender for the next 2 years. Adding Cujo would strengthen the team in a big way. If they pick Cujo up, then trade away like O'neal and reduce the payroll a little and pick up a younger cheaper forward like comrie. whom knows a lot of ppl will hate this idea but i think it could work. it sure would toss quite a curve ball to everyone in the hockey world...

cheers
HD84

ps.. be nice with ur comment, i cry very easily :cry:

CRUNK JUICE 09-30-2003 09:39 PM

I was actually thinking about this the other day. They have first shot at him if he winds up getting waived, and he's certainly an upgrade over Weekes...
The only hindering factors would be whether Cujo wants to play there and whether the Canes can afford it.

Ajacied 09-30-2003 09:39 PM

Well you have a point..

Not sure if they can afford him, but he could definitely improve their quest for a playoff spot. And if not, they have all the time in the world to find a proper buyer, and with that, a decent return for him.

All comes down whether the Canes can take on his contract..

Burke's Evil Spirit 09-30-2003 09:40 PM

$8 million over two years? When they owe Irbe $5.5 million over the next two AND Weekes $3 million over the next two? Not to mention that 2002 first rounder Cam Ward will have to be signed at some point.

I don't think Carolina is looking for a short-term solution like Joseph.

Maybe Mad Mike will grab him? :D

andora 09-30-2003 09:54 PM

maybe have an agreement with detroit where carolina leaves irbe unprotected.. carolina snags cujo while detroit takes irbe to give some salary relief to carolina for taking cujo

i mean in general, it's better having to pay less for irbe then all that for joseph.. ?

of course as a last ditch effort

Frozen North 09-30-2003 11:15 PM

I think O'Neill would be a vital piece to a Carolina Playoff run.

V for Voodoo 09-30-2003 11:18 PM

carolina wont win without joseph, and they wont with with him either.
why waste 16million to make them a little bit less crappy?

besides, weekes has just put together two good seasons for them

Motown Beatdown 10-01-2003 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora's box
maybe have an agreement with detroit where carolina leaves irbe unprotected.. carolina snags cujo while detroit takes irbe to give some salary relief to carolina for taking cujo

i mean in general, it's better having to pay less for irbe then all that for joseph.. ?

of course as a last ditch effort

Wouldn't the Wings then have to expose Legace or Hasek? Or could they expose a skaters since i dont think you can lose two goalies in the waiver draft?

But all in all, i dont see how Karamos will try to help out Mike Illitch. There is still alot of bad blood between the two over the Junior Red Wings/Plymouth Whalers.

andora 10-01-2003 02:55 AM

yeah ****.. n/m.. forget my idea... orr... edit it to where detroit agrees to trade for irbe after the waiver draft ?...

txpd 10-01-2003 03:36 AM

1. Carolina can't afford Cujo
2. Cujo wouldn't want to play in Carolina
3. Weekes 2.50gaa .912sv %/ Cujo 2.49gaa .912sv%
you can make a case that Weekes has been as good as Joseph for the
last couple of seasons and played well in the playoff games he got to play the year before.
4. O'Neal is about the only steady offense other than the aged Francis on the team. The 'Canes don't score much anyway. Trading O'Neal to pair salary would be suicide.

degroat* 10-01-2003 03:47 AM

1. No matter what the stats say, Joseph is better than Weekes.
2. I don't think Carolina would have a problem getting rid of Weekes. Colorado would be interested.

The Kitner Boy 10-01-2003 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degroat
1. No matter what the stats say, Joseph is better than Weekes.
2. I don't think Carolina would have a problem getting rid of Weekes. Colorado would be interested.

Sure Cujo is a better goalie than Weeks, but Weeks doesn't cost 8 million a year. The only way JR would pick up Cujo is if the Wings agreed to take Irbe and his 2 million dollar contract and even then it would be a stretch. I don't see that happening.

nordique 10-01-2003 04:59 AM

Two options:

1. Joseph in goal and some fringe player making the team in O'Neill's spot

or

2. Weekes in goal and O'Neill on the first line.

btmarshall 10-01-2003 05:04 AM

There is basically no chance whatsoever that Carolina adds $8 million to payroll for the next two years. They are likely to surprise people this season, though. Their problems last year came down mostly to injuries. They will be a lot better.

Dr Love 10-01-2003 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWI19
But all in all, i dont see how Karamos will try to help out Mike Illitch. There is still alot of bad blood between the two over the Junior Red Wings/Plymouth Whalers.

Not only that but they are business rivals outside of sports.

Clash* 10-01-2003 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btmarshall
There is basically no chance whatsoever that Carolina adds $8 million to payroll for the next two years. They are likely to surprise people this season, though. Their problems last year came down mostly to injuries. They will be a lot better.

Not just injuries in general, but Weekes was havin a stellar year until he received a concussion in late November/ early December. The kid is finally comin into his own and showin why he deserves the chance to be a regualr starter. What Carolina needs is a quality back-up, who could chip in and help unlike Irbe did last season.

Koltsov71 10-01-2003 07:09 AM

Not going to happen.

Wingboy2999 10-01-2003 07:50 AM

I certainly wouldn't mind it happenening so we can drop 8 mil off the payroll but won't happen.