HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zetterberg Offered Restricted Contract??????? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=158652)

Petes2424 08-04-2005 04:47 PM

Zetterberg Offered Restricted Contract???????
 
The following I just seen on Spectors. How if the Wings match the offer, would it put them over the salary cap but if Toronto gets Zetterberg, they would NOT be over the cap??? Someone's not thinking straight here. I'm sure Detroit would be real willing to take a couple of number 1 picks for Zetterberg if they're coming from Toronto. Heck, then Detroit would have more money to sign a free agent.



"Mojo 640 in Toronto is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs have made a substancial offer to Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg.

Zetterberg is a restricted free agent so detroit will now have the opportunity to match toronto's offer, however in doing so it is said that Detroit will then be over the salary cap! "

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone else who sent this in, but "Santo" was first and he gets the honours. Anyway, if this story is true it would be a crafty move by the Maple Leafs, who'd likely lose two or three draft picks in compensation, although that likely wouldn't both Leafs management. If Ferguson can pull this off it'll be quite a coup. Hopefully we'll get more verification on this soon...

Malakhov 08-04-2005 04:49 PM

I would of done that on Gagné instead.

Scoogs 08-04-2005 04:51 PM

Wow.. I don't know. It's the same old question with us, isn't it?

Draft picks, or Zetterberg? We'll see.

SChan* 08-04-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakhov
I would of done that on Gagné instead.

The difference is that Gagne has full loyalty to Flyers. Playing with Forsberg wont hurt his career.

Hockeycanada* 08-04-2005 04:52 PM

Both Gagne and Zetterberg are great players are if Toronto can get Z-berg and Allison they're suddenly a good team.

X8oD 08-04-2005 04:52 PM

whats a substantial offer?

Becuse the wings are 11-12 mil under the cap right now, with obvious money allocated for Datsyuk, Zetterburg and Williams, it woudl still leave 5-6 mil left.

If true, fork over those draft picks, 3-4 1st rounders, why not! Then Watch Detroit Throw an Offer to Thornton of Gagne, knowing they have draft picks to dish.

Petes2424 08-04-2005 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scugs
Wow.. I don't know. It's the same old question with us, isn't it?

Draft picks, or Zetterberg? We'll see.

If true, Zetterberg is a very good player but like said above, why not Gagne??? Philly's in more trouble than Detroit on salaries. Unless the Wings and Leafs have something brewing for compensation..

stanley 08-04-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SectionX
The difference is that Gagne has full loyalty to Flyers. Playing with Forsberg wont hurt his career.

X, you might want to consider a moniker change to Section 8.

--------------------------------

While I think players may hold a certain degree of loyalty to an organization, particularly one where they have always played and that treats them well, I think it's naive to believe that a player wouldn't take a whole lot more money if someone else is offering it. After all, at the end of the day they have many more people than just fans to think about, including families. If someone offered me more money, I'd certainly weigh the options.

Scoogs 08-04-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petes2424
If true, Zetterberg is a very good player but like said above, why not Gagne??? Philly's in more trouble than Detroit on salaries. Unless the Wings and Leafs have something brewing for compensation..

Are Esche and Gagne locked up?

Steve L* 08-04-2005 05:31 PM

Gagne has just married a Philly girl and stated he wants to end his career here, hes going to play on a line with Forsberg. Why would he go to a borderline playoff team like Toronto?

Jacob 08-04-2005 05:37 PM

I think a team like the Caps or the Penguins would be more in line to make such an offer than the Leaves.

spence___ 08-04-2005 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I think a team like the Caps or the Penguins would be more in line to make such an offer than the Leaves.

I doubt the Penguins would want to do that, because they'd be inviting other gms to do the same with their rfas in the future.

Mess 08-04-2005 08:44 PM

Toronto should offer a long term deal to Thornton or Vinny C as RFA to make the picks worth while anyways.

Scoogs 08-04-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
Toronto should offer a long term deal to Thornton or Vinny C as RFA to make the picks worth while anyways.

Exactly.. Lock up Thornton. I'd be happy because then we have something to build on. I don't care anymore.. I've lost all faith in JFJ with this Domi contract.

Bruin_Rage 08-04-2005 08:54 PM

After what the Bruins have done this week there is no doubt Thornton and Samsonov will sign long term with them. Thornton said he wants to see who the Bruins sign before he commits to the team. There is no way the poor old Leafs are going to get Thornton.

Brad* 08-04-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Gagne has just married a Philly girl and stated he wants to end his career here, hes going to play on a line with Forsberg. Why would he go to a borderline playoff team like Toronto?

$$$

KL* 08-04-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SectionX
The difference is that Gagne has full loyalty to Flyers. Playing with Forsberg wont hurt his career.

Interesting that in one sentence, you talk about loyalty, and then in the next sentence, you mention a player that proves that there is no loyalty in sports.

PeterSidorkiewicz 08-04-2005 09:23 PM

Didnt Forsberg play his entire career in Colorado/Quebec up until this point? How is he not loyal?

norrisnick 08-04-2005 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz
Didnt Forsberg play his entire career in Colorado/Quebec up until this point? How is he not loyal?

Umm... because he's not playing for them anymore? :dunno:

Path Of The Beserker 08-04-2005 09:39 PM

alot of po'ed colorado fans still eh? why not take the oppurtunity to go and see what you could do with the team that originally drafted you? hes done everything he could in colorado and maybe wanted a change of scenery? I have always been a fan of Forsberg and still am even though i hate the damn flyers.
If I played all my years in say vancouver and won stanley cups and trophys, etc and then towards the end of it all I had a chance to go to boston and try my hand at it there and see how well I did, I would snap up the chance in a second. Its not like Forsberg said "F U Colorado and all the stinky little twerp fans in that craphole too"
Time for a change.

Anyways I think if Toronto wanted to make a RFA offer sheet there would be better players to do it on but thats up to the puppeteers pulling the strings in TO

X8oD 08-04-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz
Didnt Forsberg play his entire career in Colorado/Quebec up until this point? How is he not loyal?

well you can go do some searching on this forum when news broke about PEter staying in Sweden. People were saying the same things being said about Gagne in this thread.

"Peter is dating a Woman who is going to school in colorado, he loves colorado and wont leave"

A year and a half later hes gone.

Arastiroth 08-04-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X8oD
well you can go do some searching on this forum when news broke about PEter staying in Sweden. People were saying the same things being said about Gagne in this thread.

"Peter is dating a Woman who is going to school in colorado, he loves colorado and wont leave"

A year and a half later hes gone.

Well, besides the obvious fact that there is a huge difference that i don't feel needs to be stated between married and dating, it isn't like Forsberg necessarily wanted to leave the Avs. They said they offered him a 4 yr, $12M deal -- very low pay for a player like himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt like they (the Avs) picked any of Tanguay/Hejduk/Blake over him. Hejduk and Tanguay are due to make around as much as they offered Forsberg, each. I wouldn't label Forsberg as disloyal -- it was simply time for him to move on, as it wasn't feasible for the Avalanche to keep him, at least according to the contract they offered him.

octopi 08-04-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X8oD
well you can go do some searching on this forum when news broke about PEter staying in Sweden. People were saying the same things being said about Gagne in this thread.

"Peter is dating a Woman who is going to school in colorado, he loves colorado and wont leave"

A year and a half later hes gone.

I think he broke up with her, for one.

Diaboli 08-05-2005 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones
Interesting that in one sentence, you talk about loyalty, and then in the next sentence, you mention a player that proves that there is no loyalty in sports.

:big laugh

A player, who is considered to be the best in the world at the moment by many, doesn't play in the same team anymore because he was offered $1.5 million per year.. I wonder why he's still not playing for the Avs :shakehead

Colorado Avalanche 08-05-2005 05:12 AM

1.5 millon for one year...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.