HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Used goalie gear (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1586971)

Exarz 01-20-2014 04:54 PM

Used goalie gear

I've been thinking of fulfilling my young dream becoming a hockey goalie, even though it'd be in some kind of beer league or such.

I played a bit of goalie when I was younger, but I didn't make it as one of the three goalies when we started with "real positions" (I was the 4th choise,
), I became a winger/d-man and played for a couple of years.

For about two years, I've really felt that the urge of playing hockey is coming back, and I thought of finally becomming a goalie. I've played a bit for fun with loaned gear, and I'd be a decent goalie in some kind of low-based league, but the thing that hesitates me is the price of senior goalie gear.. Approximately how much would a full used goalie gear with helmet, pads etc. cost? :yo:

Newfy OilPenguin 01-20-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exarz (Post 78405643)
I've been thinking of fulfilling my young dream becoming a hockey goalie, even though it'd be in some kind of beer league or such.

I played a bit of goalie when I was younger, but I didn't make it as one of the three goalies when we started with "real positions" (I was the 4th choise, ), I became a winger/d-man and played for a couple of years.

For about two years, I've really felt that the urge of playing hockey is coming back, and I thought of finally becomming a goalie. I've played a bit for fun with loaned gear, and I'd be a decent goalie in some kind of low-based league, but the thing that hesitates me is the price of senior goalie gear.. Approximately how much would a full used goalie gear with helmet, pads etc. cost? :yo:

Full set, anywhere from ill say 450-1500. Depending on how new and what line/Brand name ETC..

JoeCool16 01-20-2014 05:18 PM

You should browse Craigslist and see if there's anything in your price range, but yeah, I agree it'll be around 450+. You'll definitely see deals cheaper (at least I do), but those are usually for old stuff from the 80s/90s that looks very worn.

I'd consider getting a new helmet/jock though! You'll want both of those fitting like a glove and brand new, even if the rest of your gear is second hand.

Beezeral 01-20-2014 08:57 PM

Gotta go new on the helmet.

Also, I'd go new on skates, but that's just my preference. Everything else, you can buy used.

Exarz 01-21-2014 02:40 AM

Most of the prices i found here in Sweden are around 230 dollars for the pads, 100 dollars for the glove and blockers for the same price as as the glove. Are those good prices? The stuff looks like it's max. 3 years old.

Exarz 01-21-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezeral (Post 78425245)
Gotta go new on the helmet.

Also, I'd go new on skates, but that's just my preference. Everything else, you can buy used.

Can you get any new skates for around 150-200 dollars?

manictech 01-21-2014 02:49 AM

I've seen some good deals on combos at goaliemonkey.com or you could try hockeytron....

Analyzer* 01-21-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exarz (Post 78440237)
Can you get any new skates for around 150-200 dollars?

Yes. I got goalie skates for around 200 dollars, normally 500.

I would go with a new mask as well. Shouldn't run more than 150-200. You want that to be a safe mask. Also, other person's sweat might give you rashes. It does to me from time to time.

I bought the cheapest goalie gear (all new, called Sonic) and it cost me over 1000 Canadian dollars.

At a used goalie store you should be able to get good, solid pads for about 300ish. Blocker and trapper for probably 150ish combined, if not less.

I posted a link to goaliemonkey to save 15%. I don't think it counts on clearance, but you can try. Shipping across the water could be very expensive. The code is NEWYEARS15 (iirc)

Get a good hockey bag. Mine ripped to crap on it's own after barely any use.

Hand of Gaudreau 02-03-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exarz (Post 78440231)
Most of the prices i found here in Sweden are around 230 dollars for the pads, 100 dollars for the glove and blockers for the same price as as the glove. Are those good prices? The stuff looks like it's max. 3 years old.

It's extremely important to find out what quality the equipment is before deciding if the price is good, as pads can range from $400 to $1600 brand new based on whether they are Pro, SR, or Rec level of equipment. So if you find rec or SR pads for $230 that are 3 years old, chances are the padding in them is dead, or as good as dead, and will not give you very good protection, whereas if they were pro pads new, and are 3 years old, chances are, if they were taken care of, that they are still good pads, and will give you good protection, and comfortability for years to come, if you care for them properly.

Proper care is the most important thing with gauging the longevity of goalie equipment. Message me if you'd like more info on the subject. (I play goal at a high level and sell goalie equipment new and used for work.)

scryan 02-04-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 78489719)
I would go with a new mask as well. Shouldn't run more than 150-200. You want that to be a safe mask.

Ice or roller? not many masks that will take an ice hockey puck from an adult well for $150-200?

pelts35.com 02-05-2014 07:47 AM

If you aren't willing/able to spend $600 on a mask and jock you should reconsider your decision to play goal.

goonx 02-05-2014 09:12 AM

As others have said, get a good and new mask. Your "brain" is in there which is a pretty important part.

New jock because.... a used one is just really nasty.... :shakehead

You should also wash the used stuff as well before wearing it. There has to be some professional equipment cleaners somewhere.

Otherwise, if it fits you then used equipment isn't that big of an issue. You might consider new skates as well because old ones are broken in at the wrong places for your own feet.

PlamsUnlimited 02-15-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 79419889)
If you aren't willing/able to spend $600 on a mask and jock you should reconsider your decision to play goal.

Weird. My mask that I got on the super cheap has lasted me 5 years and up.

pelts35.com 02-17-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silence Of The Plams (Post 79921223)
Weird. My mask that I got on the super cheap has lasted me 5 years and up.

What level do you play and how many times have you been dinged in the head?

ganave 02-20-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 80039697)
What level do you play and how many times have you been dinged in the head?

Listen to him. Honestly I wish I had the money to get a better mask than a Reebok 7k. I have probably gotten one or two minor concussions in it that a higher end better fitting mask would've prevented. Seriously, you are going to get hit in the head a lot as a goalie, even at low level beer league. Cheap out on everything else except the helmet.

MattGTI 02-20-2014 06:27 PM

As a side note to getting a good mask(helmet)- we have a goalie in our league(lower level/beer league), who wears a cheap helmet/cage combo(it's basically a Reebok 5k helmet/cage forward combo). It's odd to me that the league even allows him to wear the setup(I'm honestly clueless about our league rules on goalie gear), but collectively our team hates shooting on him. Even though none of us are that good, nobody wants to be the one to hurt this guy. I know there are a few ways to look at this from both sides, but still, it stinks for us to feel like we can't truly shoot on him.

With anything- I suggest getting the best quality equipment you can afford. I'm not a goalie, but protecting my noggin would be a top priority.