HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Equipment: plus size skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1587397)

Blueland89 01-21-2014 09:42 AM

plus size skates

I have a friend who is wanting to start playing hockey with me but he's 6'7 and wears a size 15 shoe he is having trouble finding skates any advice or websites he can visit?

Canadiens1958 01-21-2014 10:43 AM

Google

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueland89 (Post 78446247)
I have a friend who is wanting to start playing hockey with me but he's 6'7 and wears a size 15 shoe he is having trouble finding skates any advice or websites he can visit?

Google "plus size hockey equipment" or replace equipment with specific - skates, sticks, shin pads, etc or try the local sporting goods that offers plus sizing for other sports.

AIREAYE 01-21-2014 11:06 AM

Go to a store and figure out skate size first. see if they have anything.

mistrhanky 01-22-2014 01:08 PM

I have a lot of exerience with this. I am 6' 4, and wear a 15-16 shoe depending on the maker. In skates of course, they run about two sizes smaller. If you are looking for a cheap starter boot, try Flite Hockey. They carry a lot of larger sizes. Warning though, replacement blades are tough to get, but they will get you started and won't break the bank.

As you get better, you will want a better boot though. This is where it is tough. Without special ordering, you will be very lucky to find anything over a 12.5 or 13 and the 13 will be very, very lucky at that. I find that Reebok runs a bit larger and I tried 12.5's in nearly every maker out there trying to see if I could squeeze into one. Remember, you want a tight fit on a hockey skate anyway, so you don't need growing room. I eventually found a size 13 Reebok 12k and for the most part I really like it. The width was not perfect, but your guy probably already knows that getting perfectly sized footwear is a pipe dream most of the time anyway. Scour all the online hockey retailers until you find some, and keep checking back. I found my Reebok's through total hockey I think, and they were actually defective. The pump melted when I baked them at the shop the first time. But, I was so happy to have a pair that fit, that I didn't care and a lot of people don't use the pump anyway. Point being, I was not returning a pair of skates that actually fit over the pump. Beggars can't be choosers.

If you want to special order, go to a pro shop but be prepared to pay. Most companies only do special custom orders for large sizes, if they do them at all, in the highest priced skate lines. Be ready to buy a $700 pair of skates and then pay another $100 or so for the custom order. No refunds of course.

I definitely recommend getting properly sized at a shop though. My left foot is a hair over a 13 in skates, and my right is a little under a 12.5. So one foot is never gonna be great, and of course you have to size to the larger foot. I feel your pain.

forbs02 01-22-2014 01:24 PM

Bauer and maybe CCM usually have one mid-range skate that will size up to a 15 or 16. You can find them online and a lot of the time they are on clearance. Trying to find those sizes in a store will be very hard to do unless it is a big national store.

mistrhanky 01-22-2014 01:28 PM

Yeah, I was definitely referring to searching online. Sometimes a store can check inventory and arrange an inter-store transfer, but really it is a matter of online.

Onetimersniper28 01-22-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueland89 (Post 78446247)

Tell him to go to his LHS, and make a special order for a pair of skates from the brand of his choice. Once they deliver it at his LHS, he can pick them up. This might be a bit pricy though, he'll most likely have to order a high end model.
I have no other solution, all my teammates wear size 11 skates and below.