HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Spezza vs. Hossa vs. Havlat (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15874)

discostu 10-01-2003 06:34 AM

Spezza vs. Hossa vs. Havlat

Which young player will be the best in their prime?

This is inspired by the Hossa thread currently going on, and all the positive comments this training camp about both Hossa and Spezza. I threw Havlat in the mix, because when he is on his game, he makes a great case for himself about becoming one of the elite in the league.

So, which player, at their prime, will be the most dominant. Take every aspect of their game: Offence, leadership, defence, physicality; everything.

discostu 10-01-2003 06:39 AM

My vote goes to Spezza, although I think all three are going to be huge forces in the league in their prime.

Spezza just has something about his game that seems like he destined for more. I can't put my finger on it, though, but once he gets a few kinks straightened out of his game, which he seems to be doing, I get the sense that this entire team will be built around what he's doing on the ice.

Other Dave 10-01-2003 06:43 AM

I went with the bird in the hand approach. Hossa is the best of the three now, and will continue to be in the future.

Other Dave

Skrymir 10-01-2003 07:04 AM

I'm with Stu. Spezza IMO will be consistantly the higher point producer, and will dominate at his position more than the other two. Not to say that in their prime (or right now for that matter) Hossa and Havlat won't be top 10 at the RW position.

Volchenkov 10-01-2003 07:37 AM

I'm going with Spezza. Spezza has the type of tools which can make the players around him much better, like Forsberg or Thornton. Hossa will never create a 50 goal scorer, but will dominate the game all by himself. Spezza will dominate the game while also using his teammates much more effectively.

Speed: Hossa
Stickhandling: Spezza
Passing: Spezza
Power: Hossa
Scoring: Hossa
Vision/Hockey Sense: Spezza
Leadership: Spezza

As can be seen its pretty close, but I see Spezza developing into a leader. He's exceptionally mature already and has an undeniable desire to be the best in the NHL.

If Havlat is capable of muscling up like Hossa did, he could be even better than Hossa.

Dr.Sens(e) 10-01-2003 07:55 AM

Gotta go with Hossa, although Spezza has the upside to pass him by.

The thing is, Spezza might not end up as good as Hossa is NOW, so there is just too much uncertainty to bet on him IMO. Especially given Hossa is still improving.

Puck 10-01-2003 08:05 AM

I read this recently on an Elia Kazan biographical note where he said, "Generally I've understood what happened only after it happened."
That generally applies to me a lot in many areas, including hockey predictions.

It seems to be a quirk of sports fans that they believe to have some innate knowledge of events before they are about to occur. I've always found this interesting, given that nobody ever seems to account for failure. It's probably human nature to forget about the times we were wrong, at least in public.

Of course this doesn't make me stop from mouthing off my opinions. It's just that I don't know how to respond to the question. My initial reaction would be to paraphrase a typical parental response and state that I love all my children equally, even though they are different....so I think each player will be different in his own way and I would rather not prejudge them at this time. And of course you would be right to say that there is absolutely no fun in my response. But when all is said and done, posters here may even disagree with the final judgement to that question, given that we all see things differently.

Dr.Sens(e) 10-01-2003 08:20 AM

Ah jesus Puck, give us some controversy! We don't need you wading in to this is you aren't going to make it fun...

Let me throw this on the fire. And keep in mind, I am simply giving an interesting fact to think about, rather than a comparison of what I think is in store for Spezza in the future.

But at this point in his career, Alexandre Daigle had accomplished more as a hockey player than Jason Spezza.

Obviously I think Spezza will be a far superior player, but the point is we shouldn't get to carried away with potential.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 10-01-2003 10:43 AM

you're so lucky..... ehhhh in habland we don't have any of those.

SensGod 10-01-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
you're so lucky..... ehhhh in habland we don't have any of those.

Yeah and our Hossa is prettier than your Hossa too ;)

south-sentral 10-01-2003 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I'm going with Spezza. Spezza has the type of tools which can make the players around him much better, like Forsberg or Thornton. Hossa will never create a 50 goal scorer, but will dominate the game all by himself. Spezza will dominate the game while also using his teammates much more effectively.

Speed: Hossa
Stickhandling: Spezza
Passing: Spezza
Power: Hossa
Scoring: Hossa
Vision/Hockey Sense: Spezza
Leadership: Spezza

As can be seen its pretty close, but I see Spezza developing into a leader. He's exceptionally mature already and has an undeniable desire to be the best in the NHL.

If Havlat is capable of muscling up like Hossa did, he could be even better than Hossa.

I agree with everything you said but I still think that best stickhandler is Havlat and Havlat has better straight away speed than Hossa although its really close.

Damn, we're really lucky. Three potential superstars on one team...( two if they dont sign havlat real quick)

Don Draper 10-01-2003 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by south-sentral
I agree with everything you said but I still think that best stickhandler is Havlat and Havlat has better straight away speed than Hossa although its really close.

Damn, we're really lucky. Three potential superstars on one team...( two if they dont sign havlat real quick)

i was thinking about this earlier. How would this team do if they ended up just trading everyone away but these 3, volch and redden, and emery. Obviously i dont mean right now, but say 2 years from now, 4 of those guys could be on the allstar team. Pretty crazy to think. We would look alot like vancouver, being so top heavy, but with that much talent, we may be better than they are right now

ChemiseBleuHonnete 10-01-2003 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Yeah and our Hossa is prettier than your Hossa too ;)

Don't want to be an ass but we have Calvillo, Cahoon, Copeland, Lapointe, Woodcock, Stala (the next superstar), Girard, Cavil, Belli, Stokes, Chiu, Durden, Heppell, Flory, K Jonhsson, Lambert, Loftus, Phillion, Okeke, etc etc etc....

Don Draper 10-02-2003 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
Don't want to be an ass but we have Calvillo, Cahoon, Copeland, Lapointe, Woodcock, Stala (the next superstar), Girard, Cavil, Belli, Stokes, Chiu, Durden, Heppell, Flory, K Jonhsson, Lambert, Loftus, Phillion, Okeke, etc etc etc....

you take your dominance in a 3rd rate league, we will take it in the top association

Volchenkov 10-02-2003 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by south-sentral

The comparison was strictly between Hossa and Spezza, but I agree with you on the Stickhandling and Speed points. Hossa's a more powerful skater, so he's a more effective skater.

HF2002 10-02-2003 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck
I read this recently on an Elia Kazan biographical note where he said, "Generally I've understood what happened only after it happened."
That generally applies to me a lot in many areas, including hockey predictions.

It seems to be a quirk of sports fans that they believe to have some innate knowledge of events before they are about to occur. I've always found this interesting, given that nobody ever seems to account for failure. It's probably human nature to forget about the times we were wrong, at least in public.

Of course this doesn't make me stop from mouthing off my opinions. It's just that I don't know how to respond to the question. My initial reaction would be to paraphrase a typical parental response and state that I love all my children equally, even though they are different....so I think each player will be different in his own way and I would rather not prejudge them at this time. And of course you would be right to say that there is absolutely no fun in my response. But when all is said and done, posters here may even disagree with the final judgement to that question, given that we all see things differently.

I have to say that this is one of the best posts I've ever read when it comes to message boards and every critic who seems to have the answers. Well done! :handclap:

officeglen 10-02-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF2002
I have to say that this is one of the best posts I've ever read when it comes to message boards and every critic who seems to have the answers. Well done! :handclap:

On the quote, "Generally I've understood what happened only after it happened." is yet another way of saying 20-20 hindsight and Kazan had to stick a "generally" into it to get it to work.

When a question is posed about the future, it doesn't imply that posting a reply means you have prescience; it just means you are making a guess. Since predictions here costs nothing, they're worth the same too, but it doesn't take away from the fun of them. Posting we all see things differently, players will be different in their own ways, and sports fans make predictions doesn't make it happen for me, though perhaps I will have to wait for the after happening party.