HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   GDT: The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1588463)

Cloned 01-22-2014 05:51 PM

The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread

Time for some positive GDTs!

First Canadian to reach a semifinal of a Grand Slam solo event in quite some time (30 years I think). 19 years old. Lots of potential. Probably a better rounded player than Raonic. And she's pretty too.

Should be a good one.

Go Bouchard! Go Canada!

Da McBomb 01-22-2014 05:54 PM

I stopped following tennis for the longest time. Used to be a big fan a long time ago during the Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker days.

But that said, a great hot Canadian tennis player like Eugenie Bouchard is gonna get me back watching the sport again.

AlowlyMcOilersfan 01-22-2014 05:56 PM

I might check it out during commercials.

Gobo 01-22-2014 05:56 PM

Glad you made this thread. She's been unbelievable.

Also, for the fiends on HFOil.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Editor...g12138_668.jpg

GreatMcKeith 01-22-2014 05:58 PM

Man the Oilers are so bad we're making GDTs for other sports.

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 78546001)
Man the Oilers are so bad we're making GDTs for other sports.

Honestly I probably would have made this thread even if the Oilers were #1 in the NHL.

Rawg 01-22-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 78546161)
Honestly I probably would have made this thread even if the Oilers were #1 in the NHL.

My thread on which Edmonton Oiler you'd like to marry and why was closed for being offtopic :(

Angry Boys 01-22-2014 06:05 PM

She is big news over here in Australia - a real media darling that the public are all supporting

Replacement 01-22-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobo (Post 78545875)
Glad you made this thread. She's been unbelievable.

Also, for the fiends on HFOil.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Editor...g12138_668.jpg

I'll play.

Ok now I'm figuring out why Cloned made this thread..

and people wonder why they use the term love in tennis. Well there.

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:12 PM

Let's try to keep this as not-babe-thread as possible because I do want it to stay open through the match tonight...

Replacement 01-22-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 78546981)
Let's try to keep this as not-babe-thread as possible because I do want it to stay open through the match tonight...

Oh, um, OK. :booboo::pcheer:

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 78547167)
Oh, um, OK. :booboo::pcheer:

I'll forgive you this ONE time. :p:

Hyped for Bouchard though. Has a better shot than Raonic at Top 5 in the world. Raonic has the better physical tools but Bouchard is a better natural tennis player.

Oilwings 01-22-2014 06:20 PM

I've been following her for the last few yrs. Great young player and gorgeous too! She won a great match vs my favorite female tennis player in Ana Ivanovic.

Go Genie!

Barkert Downboy Jr. 01-22-2014 06:22 PM

This is a massive story, not only for the sporting world in Canada but for the nation as a whole. It's not often we're blessed to witness Canadians excel in sports we're typically not dominant in.

This girl has been amazing the tournament. Her maturity and poise is indescribable for a 19 year old; her resiliency against Razzano, Dellacqua and Ivanovic were all things of beauty to behold. As a huge tennis fan I started watching the tournament with an eye on her but didn't expect this type of success so soon. Her Genie Army fan club is a riot as well; a bunch of Aussies with no connection to Canada have been serenading her, cheering her on... I'm jealous I don't have a fan club like that.

Li Na is going to be a challenge, though she isn't unbeatable by any means and I'll be hoping to see Genie in the final but regardless of the result there is nothing to be ashamed about. Bright, bright future.

molsonmuscle360 01-22-2014 06:23 PM

I love the fact that she has a group of Aussie fans cheering for her as well. That's pretty awesome.

Barkert Downboy Jr. 01-22-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 78547505)

Hyped for Bouchard though. Has a better shot than Raonic at Top 5 in the world. Raonic has the better physical tools but Bouchard is a better natural tennis player.

Raonic's issue is mainly between the ears.

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:24 PM

I thought this was a hilarious tweet from her too:

https://twitter.com/geniebouchard/st...560576/photo/1

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWoof (Post 78547937)

That's what I mean. Raonic makes playing tennis look so hard - it is, of course, but Bouchard makes it look comparatively much more natural and easier. She has better "tennis sense," to use hockey parlance, and it's only going to get better as she gets more experience.

Pablo Aimar 01-22-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

I strongly disagree. His backhand sucks, his movement sucks, and his return of serve sucks. One elite shot, as dominant as it is, is not nearly enough.

koeltrain 01-22-2014 06:26 PM

Can we slot her in for a second line centre? :sarcasm:

Replacement 01-22-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 78547505)

I dropped the ball on tennis years ago, excuse pun. Used to love playing, watching, but for me anyway the playing and watching was kind of connected. One led to interest in the other.

I'm familiar with Raonic who I don't like watching. I haven't seen this girl play before. I'm out of the loop now.

Hope she continues to do well

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 78548191)
I dropped the ball on tennis years ago, excuse pun. Used to love playing, watching, but for me anyway the playing and watching was kind of connected. One led to interest in the other.

I'm familiar with Raonic who I don't like watching. I haven't seen this girl play before. I'm out of the loop now.

Hope she continues to do well

Should pick it back up…watching Bouchard will also get you back into the game in a hurry.

Replacement 01-22-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

For this reason I find it very frustrating watching him. How often does this guy double fault points and matches away.

Used to be a time when a coach would say "make the other guy beat you.."

tbh I lost interest in Tennis when the serve and nothing else guys started ruling the roost. I see Raonic as that.

Replacement 01-22-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 78548319)
Should pick it back up…watching Bouchard will also get you back into the game in a hurry.

haha

Being able to play again would get me back into the game. I LOVED playing tennis. unfortunately it takes too much of a toll on my knees now. :(

Trouble is if I watch it its the type of thing where I want to be doing it tomorrow..

That last post sounds kind of um, questionable., in context, I realize..:amazed: um, er:laugh:

Cloned 01-22-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 78548629)
haha

Being able to play again would get me back into the game. I LOVED playing tennis. unfortunately it takes too much of a toll on my knees now. :(

Trouble is if I watch it its the type of thing where I want to be doing it tomorrow..

That last post sounds kind of um, questionable., in context, I realize..:amazed: um, er:laugh:

You're lucky you have such an understanding other half… :laugh: