HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shooting from the point in beer league? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1588709)

NDBruins 01-23-2014 12:39 AM

Shooting from the point in beer league?

The last three games my team has played, it seems like every time the puck gets to the point it goes on net. Now we are in a non contact league, where there is a wide range of skill levels. Now if it is kept below the knees I know the guys on our team don't have too big of an issue with it, but anything above that there is a bunch of angry guys on our bench. Is this an overreaction? Is there an unwritten rule that says don't do it?

BlueJazz 01-23-2014 01:38 AM

I doubt anyone playing beer league can rip a 90mph slapper, so I don't see what the problem would be. Concerned about getting a puck in the face? Wear a cage. Honestly I don't know why so many people don't.

Lonny Bohonos 01-23-2014 03:32 AM

As a winger who likes to stand in front of the net I absolutely hate Dman thinking slapper first.

The pain is not a big issue however getting seriously injured is.

But my biggest beef is many dman cant accurately slap and the puck goes all over the place making it pretty useless for the most part.

The read something a while back that had some sort of research behind that said the most significant thing for goal scoring is release time ie getting the shot of quick before the tender has a chance.

Id say maybe 10% of slappers I see in beer league fall into this category. Nothing is more frustrating than working the front of the net and watching a dman spend days winding up for a slapper that goes off a shin pad or wide instead of shooting for a deflection or a pass.

jazzykat 01-23-2014 06:13 AM

Regarding the OP. If it's permitted by league rules they should take a chill pill. This is hockey and they can wear a cage.

IMO, take the shot that is within the rules that is most likely to generate a goal/scoring opportunity. Also, if I couldn't rip slapshots from the point then I wouldn't play D (what's the point...?) because it would devolve into 0 involvement in the offense and just trying to stop odd man rushes for a bunch of non-checking beer league forwards who are out of shape and lazy...

tarheelhockey 01-23-2014 10:07 AM

I agree with the above, but all of that said... there is a time and place for high slappers. If it's 8-1, keep those shots low. There's no sense in ripping high slappers when the game is already decided.

Jarick 01-23-2014 10:48 AM

For pickup hockey, for sure you want to keep the shots down. In league play, if slappers are allowed...go nuts. It's probably a lot smarter to keep your shots low though just so you can get rebounds and tips and what not.

rh71 01-23-2014 10:48 AM

A couple part-time defenders on my team can really rip it and I have no problem standing in front of the net as long as I'm facing the shooter. The blue-line is still pretty far away. Nobody else on either team minds it at all unless it's a blow-out then nobody should ever do it. Low-division beer league.

Shaun Bisson 01-23-2014 11:00 AM

Both leagues I play in have no problem with it. As pointed out above, usually only when it's a blow out does it become contentious. However, I do know some of the goalies have issues with one-timers which I think is ridiculous. And I'm not talking from the point, I'm talking in the face-off circle, knee drop one timers.

dr robbie 01-23-2014 11:05 AM

I'm a LW / Center and usually park right in front of the net in my league. Best option is just to look over options. If I'm screening the goalie (as usual) the slapper isn't necessary - just get it in a freaking corner. If you elect to do the slapper, the lower ones tend to be better because they are easier to deflect and the rebounds tend to be juicier for me. That said, I'm going to take whatever you throw at me. If you park in front of the net, you're gonna get hit by the puck from time to time and you also have to get used to being shoved, cross-checked, and hacked like no other. The rough places are supposed to be rough - you shouldn't whine if something could hurt you when you're putting yourself in that spot.

Green Blob* 01-23-2014 11:20 AM

I do it all the time, but i always try to keep the shot down low, nobody has a problem with this. Once and awhile i might shoot it high by accident and I feel bad :laugh: (Saying I have a rocket is an understatement)

Jarick 01-23-2014 11:34 AM

We had a guy about five years ago who had a bomb from the point and was always going top shelf. He scored a bunch of goals. When I was playing wing and saw he got the puck, I just got the hell out of the way. I'll screen a goalie when some guys are at the point, but not him :laugh:

snizzbone 01-23-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJazz (Post 78571573)
I doubt anyone playing beer league can rip a 90mph slapper, so I don't see what the problem would be. Concerned about getting a puck in the face? Wear a cage. Honestly I don't know why so many people don't.

You'd be surprised..

Where do you think all the guys who didn't make it it the pros go and play? Beer league.

mistrhanky 01-23-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr robbie (Post 78580831)
I'm a LW / Center and usually park right in front of the net in my league. Best option is just to look over options. If I'm screening the goalie (as usual) the slapper isn't necessary - just get it in a freaking corner. If you elect to do the slapper, the lower ones tend to be better because they are easier to deflect and the rebounds tend to be juicier for me. That said, I'm going to take whatever you throw at me. If you park in front of the net, you're gonna get hit by the puck from time to time and you also have to get used to being shoved, cross-checked, and hacked like no other. The rough places are supposed to be rough - you shouldn't whine if something could hurt you when you're putting yourself in that spot.

This is spot on. The guy who said that most people miss with a slapper is right, but he is wrong to say you should not take them. If you can drive a hard shot on net that will bounce, deflect, etc, you do it. It leads to those trash goals. I have run across guys that can shoot a wrister hard enough to break bones, so whether it is a slapper or wrister or whatever, you have to make your choices. Like Robbie said, if you are choosing to be in that position, it is a choice you have made.

Tell your guys to stop whining, OP!

Terry Yake 01-23-2014 12:45 PM

if it's pickup hockey then for sure keep the shots low, there is no need to try and go top shelf on a slapshot in a pickup game

but if it's a real game then go for it, just be aware of people in front of you. obviously you don't want to attempt a slapper if you get the puck and there's a guy 2 ft in front of you

The Tikkanen 01-23-2014 01:01 PM

In most beer leagues I think you would rack up more points if you have a hard, accurate shot. If you're skilled enough and a smart player you can shoot for deflections and rebounds. I know who has the dumb bombs on my teams, if I see them wind up I take a full step out of the way. If I'm on the opposite side of the ice as them I position myself to get the rebound off the high and wide glass to prevent a turnover.

CornKicker 01-23-2014 01:46 PM

if you can sail a clap let it rip,

TLow97 01-23-2014 02:24 PM

In league play, I let the slappers fly. I've been working on keeping the shots around knee-level. I find it more effective than just taking wristers unless the situation deems it necessary. If anyone wants to try to block my shot, feel free!

In pick-up, probably just courtesy to ease off the slappers. One of the organized pick-up leagues where I live outlaw slappers.

windycity 01-23-2014 03:01 PM

my slap shot is way inconsistent so if I can I take a step or two in and take snap shot or a wrister as I'm generally much more accurate with them

17of26 01-23-2014 03:32 PM

If slapshots are permitted in the league, then I don't see a problem with it as long as they're keeping it crossbar level or lower (most people's heads are well above the crossbar).

Now if someone is consistently taking hard slapshots at head level and sailing above the net then I'd have an issue with it.

boo10 01-23-2014 03:35 PM

Two rules for beer league slappers:

1) Always keep it below the waist. A shot in the face is not the number one concern, the throat is. about 1% of guys wear throat protection and you don't want to be the guy that shot the puck that ended up killing someone.

2) Never take a slapper from closer than the top of the circle. Just bad etiquette and if you did it against my team, your goalie is probably taking the next one off the facemask.

LeTigre 01-23-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boo10 (Post 78594325)
Two rules for beer league slappers:

1) Always keep it below the waist. A shot in the face is not the number one concern, the throat is. about 1% of guys wear throat protection and you don't want to be the guy that shot the puck that ended up killing someone.

2) Never take a slapper from closer than the top of the circle. Just bad etiquette and if you did it against my team, your goalie is probably taking the next one off the facemask.

Perfect one time pass into your wheelhouse on a PP and you're at the bottom of the circle. Why wouldn't you clap it?

boo10 01-23-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeTigre (Post 78594925)
Perfect one time pass into your wheelhouse on a PP and you're at the bottom of the circle. Why wouldn't you clap it?

Because it's beer league and not professional hockey. Goalies have jobs to go to the next day. If you're going to rip a one-timer, etiquette calls for a minimum distance between the shooter and goalie. In the scenario you are describing, a knee-high backswing would be ok.

capebretoncanadien 01-23-2014 04:58 PM

Low and easy is fine.

Half wind up to the knees.

No sense wildly blasting them it's freaking beer league.

CanucksSayEh 01-23-2014 05:04 PM

I live in front of the net, love it when the D-men let loose. Always looking for tips, rebounds and keep my butt in the goalies face. Obviously I prefer lower shots, but it's not too bad if they go high now and then. From the point, there's plenty of time to get outta the way.

What upsets me(mod edit), is if i'm screening and then forwards try to snipe top shelf from the slot. Nobody on the team can pick a corner, and there's little time to react. End up taking one in the ribs or shoulder.

When I play D, I always clap er up if I have the time and lane. Like to work on the one timer If I can. Nobody in our league has ever shown any beef towards hard shots. A lot of guys, especially in the playoffs are blocking shots. Its pretty competitive, even in a low division.

Onetimersniper28 01-23-2014 05:57 PM

As a forward, I'm fine with the point man taking high slap shots, if he sees an opening in the top corner. The high shots are difficult to tip in though, and are more likely to go off target.
But if one of them hits me (mod edit), I'll be angry.
Likewise, when I'm in practice, I yell at my teammates who try to rip the goalie's head off.