HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Olympics: Tuukka Rask, the best goalie? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1591099)

Brun0 01-26-2014 04:55 AM

Tuukka Rask, the best goalie?
 
Woah his career stats in nhl through 177 games
89W 57L 92,7% 2,13GA

And playoffs 35 games:
21W 14L 93% 2,14GA

Is it just me or is that some crazy consistency? Is he the best out there?

Gobias Industries 01-26-2014 05:24 AM

Certainly up there, but before anyone starts preaching the Bruins system, let's take a moment and have Panthers fans rave over a 39 year old Tim Thomas who skipped an entire season.

Lapa 01-26-2014 05:37 AM

I'm obviously biased, but I think so.

FinRuutu 01-26-2014 05:49 AM

I think Lehtonen is better than Rask, but thats probably just me.

FiLe 01-26-2014 10:06 AM

If we're talking about the olympics, it's such a short tournament that pretty much any netminder can come out on top. Not that I'd mind it at all if it was Rask, but I don't think his career stats are going to help him here.

Regardless, he is a guy who can steal games.

TheMachiavelli* 01-26-2014 11:11 AM

Going in to the Olympics? Of course Tukka is best goalie. Nobody compares.

tenho995 01-26-2014 11:17 AM

Miller is miles better.

True Hockey Fan 01-26-2014 11:23 AM

He's gonna be one of the best at the olympics for sure. And IMO, he's one of the best in the world.

Miller, Quick, Varlamov, Luongo, Lundqvist, Rask, Hiller, Halak, Niemi, Lehtonen -this is top 10 imo. (in no order) maybe Bobrovsky too, so you have top11.

CanadienShark 01-26-2014 12:32 PM

I think he's made to appear better because of Boston's system, but also think he fits Boston's system perfectly because of his style of play, and is a very good goalie no matter the team he's on.

Binary Code 01-26-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenho995 (Post 78780469)
Miller is miles better.

This.

/Thread

Wings4Life 01-26-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan (Post 78780721)
He's gonna be one of the best at the olympics for sure. And IMO, he's one of the best in the world.

Miller, Quick, Varlamov, Luongo, Lundqvist, Rask, Hiller, Halak, Niemi, Lehtonen -this is top 10 imo. (in no order) maybe Bobrovsky too, so you have top11.

In this case, Luongo would be the 11th. ;)

Rabid Ranger 01-26-2014 07:14 PM

Based on what?

Artemis 01-26-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinRuutu (Post 78773935)
I think Lehtonen is better than Rask, but thats probably just me.

Probably.

Rask, NHL career (regular season): 2.15 GAA; .927 save %.
Lehtonen, NHL career (regular season): 2.71 GAA; .914 save %.

Playoffs aren't really applicable for comparison's sake as Lehtonen has only played two post season games, but Rask, in the 2010 playoffs, had a 2.61 GAA and a .910 % in 13 games. In 2013, he had a 1.88 GAA and a .940 % in 22 games.

ed bruin 01-26-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 78815987)
Probably.

Rask, NHL career (regular season): 2.15 GAA; .927 save %.
Lehtonen, NHL career (regular season): 2.71 GAA; .914 save %.

Playoffs aren't really applicable for comparison's sake as Lehtonen has only played two post season games, but Rask, in the 2010 playoffs, had a 2.61 GAA and a .910 % in 13 games. In 2013, he had a 1.88 GAA and a .940 % in 22 games.

BUT Rask plays behind an elite defense despite Chara being overrated!!!

tony d 01-26-2014 09:54 PM

He'll be one of the best but I think Lundqvist, Miller and maybe Luongo or Price are better than him right now.

Stars2015 01-26-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 78815987)
Probably.

Rask, NHL career (regular season): 2.15 GAA; .927 save %.
Lehtonen, NHL career (regular season): 2.71 GAA; .914 save %.

Playoffs aren't really applicable for comparison's sake as Lehtonen has only played two post season games, but Rask, in the 2010 playoffs, had a 2.61 GAA and a .910 % in 13 games. In 2013, he had a 1.88 GAA and a .940 % in 22 games.

You can't base those numbers by themselves though. Kari played for a crappy Atlanta team, and as much as I love the Stars, our defense is terrible. Team play does figure into it, unless they are ridiculous like Miller this year.

Hammer Time 01-26-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brun0 (Post 78773609)
Woah his career stats in nhl through 177 games
89W 57L 92,7% 2,13GA

And playoffs 35 games:
21W 14L 93% 2,14GA

Is it just me or is that some crazy consistency? Is he the best out there?

Well, it does help being on Chara's team for a few seasons when he was the best D-man in the world. Even Jan Laco looked like an elite goalie at the WCs with Chara in front of him

huntison 01-26-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan (Post 78780721)
He's gonna be one of the best at the olympics for sure. And IMO, he's one of the best in the world.

Miller, Quick, Varlamov, Luongo, Lundqvist, Rask, Hiller, Halak, Niemi, Lehtonen -this is top 10 imo. (in no order) maybe Bobrovsky too, so you have top11.

Halak? Hmm

huntison 01-26-2014 10:58 PM

I'm a canucks fan. If had to pick a goalie to start a franchise it would be Rask. He is awesome.

reffree 01-27-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars2015 (Post 78825529)
You can't base those numbers by themselves though. Kari played for a crappy Atlanta team, and as much as I love the Stars, our defense is terrible. Team play does figure into it, unless they are ridiculous like Miller this year.

Yep, playing in Atlanta was like playing for Edmonton right now, not goalie friendly.

Jeepers Creeper 01-27-2014 03:01 AM

No, as long as Lundqvist is going he is the best.

Raimo Sillanpää 01-27-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper (Post 78834069)
No, as long as Lundqvist is going he is the best.

Based on reputation I assume?

2013-2014
Tuukka Rask : P39 .930
Henrik Lundqvist : P40 .914

Tuukka has been scary good throughout his career. Compare him to Tim Thomas 2010-2012 (season ending in year..):

2010 .931 vs .915
2011 .918 vs .938
2012 .929 vs .920

Usually the backup has worse numbers ad he plays less games, finding it harder to get a good consistent streak going when you play every 3rd game etc. so maybe to be fair we should add a "plus" to Tuukka's stats for those years.. The only reason Tuukka didn't run TT out of town was that TT was the best in the world in those years. Had he been backup on any other team the #1 would have been traded.

Jeepers Creeper 01-28-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää (Post 78842829)
Based on reputation I assume?

Based on longevity. Lundqvist has been among the best for almost a decade now while Rask is just getting there.

Raimo Sillanpää 01-28-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper (Post 78896165)
Based on longevity. Lundqvist has been among the best for almost a decade now while Rask is just getting there.

Longevity is a poor excuse used by folks blinded by conventional wisdom.

If we count the last 5 seasons, then that's quite a bit of longevity already - Tuukka is better. Also, like I said, Tuukka was a backup so had he had a longer run, we should expect his numbers to be even better.

Tuukka is basically a career .93 goalie, Henke a .92. On 1,000 shots that means Tuukka saves 10 more goals then Henke.
At this point in the season they've both stopped a touch over 1000 shots, translating into GA 78 vs 96, the Rangers are not a lousy team so those are quite comparable, this also translated into 5 more wins for Tuukka.

But despite there being no holes in the statistics, you'll still say Lundqvist - because you've been taught to say that. Conventional wisdom and whatnot.

Jeepers Creeper 01-28-2014 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää (Post 78896677)
Longevity is a poor excuse used by folks blinded by conventional wisdom.

If we count the last 5 seasons, then that's quite a bit of longevity already - Tuukka is better. Also, like I said, Tuukka was a backup so had he had a longer run, we should expect his numbers to be even better.

Tuukka is basically a career .93 goalie, Henke a .92. On 1,000 shots that means Tuukka saves 10 more goals then Henke.
At this point in the season they've both stopped a touch over 1000 shots, translating into GA 78 vs 96, the Rangers are not a lousy team so those are quite comparable, this also translated into 5 more wins for Tuukka.

But despite there being no holes in the statistics, you'll still say Lundqvist - because you've been taught to say that. Conventional wisdom and whatnot.

You keep bringing up statistics without taking into consideration the teams they play for and the difference in the defensive systems they play behind.

Also, Rask is not even close to Lundqvist in terms of longevity. Had Rask not been a backup for a couple of seasons the gap would be smaller, but he was. Was he a victim of circumstances? Maybe, but life is tough sometimes.

Despite Lundqvist having a clear edge in longevity and accomplishments, you'll say Rask - because the stats points you out to do so. Talk about selective argumentation.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.