HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Henrik Sedin emerging into a very good player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15911)

Mizral 10-01-2003 08:23 AM

Henrik Sedin emerging into a very good player

Henrik Sedin is quietly (aren't all Swedes quiet?) emerging into a very good NHL player

Divorce your opinions of Daniel for a minute on this thread (Daniel is doing okay in the preseason, not great mind you).

Henrik is turning into a very good NHL player, and I wonder how long it'll be for the rest of the league to take notice? Particularly those of you who called them busts at 21 years old, or the 'Sedin Sisters' for being too soft.

Currently, Henrik has 2 goals, 4 assists and 6 points in 4 preseason games. Yes, it's only the preseason, but Henrik has come into camp like a man on a mission. One of the best conditioned Canucks at camp (he and Daniel scored in the top 4 amongst Canuck players on the physical tests), and it seems now one of the most determined. Henrik has very much improved his skating, which was his biggest drawback next to his lack of shooting. On his shooting, Henrik has stated that he will be 'more selfish' this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.. though 2 goals in 4 games is promising! More muscle means more weight attached to his 6'3 frame. Last I heard he was at 205/207, which isn't bad.

Anyhow, I can certainly be called a Sedin-homer. I am. But I feel Henrik is poised for a big year this year. I believe there's a chance he could steal Brendan Morrison's job as the #1 centre this year, in fact (not so much as being a better player, but Crawford it seems likes to move Morrison to the 2nd line from time to time to spread the scoring around more, and Henrik's passing game with those two goal scorers in Naslund & Bertuzzi is great to see). And while some say Henrik is nothing more than a 40 point-getter throughout his career, I would argue that there is a chance that Henrik could develop into a Jason Allison-like centre, posting big numbers, and making big plays.

What do you guys think? Am I nutso, bats in the belfrey looney? Is Henrik that good in your opinions?

(PS: Just to note, this thread is not about Daniel Sedin or the two brothers collectivly. Just about Henrik. Please stay on topic!)

IGM 10-01-2003 08:27 AM

I truly hope for Nuck fans and the league in general that he breaks through this year. If either of them don't it is going to be hard not to call them busts. Sure they will still be serviceable NHLers, but not anywhere near as good as we all thought they would be. Not even close. I hope you are right and he makes his mark this year. It is time.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-01-2003 08:31 AM

Well, he wouldn't be the first Canuck to come into camp, have a kickass pre-season and then taper off.

Still, the signs are encouraging...he's taking the puck to the net more, and really feathering some nice passes through the slot to the open stick. That said, the knock against him last year was that he would get muscled off the puck whenever he tried to take it to the net, it makes sense for him to be much better at it in the preseason since players won't be playing the body like they normally do.

The added weight/strength is a good thing. Let's hope it's enough.

I highly doubt you'll see him steal Morrison's job as center of the WCE, though...he simply isn't good enough defensively. However, he might excel to the point where we can afford to break that line up.

Ajacied 10-01-2003 08:36 AM

First of all, I've been grossly dissapointed by the Sedins slow progress, though I've never been too impressed when they were still playing for Modo and their national team either..

That said, I'm sure they are due for a breakout season, especially since they have the wonderful ability to lead a contender's 2ndary scoring, while being well tutored by the likes of Trevor Linden and Trent Klatt (though gone). Yet you simply can't base it on their pre season, you simply can't.

Jon Sim scored 7 goals in 4 pre season games with the Stars last season. Those are rather solid numbers I'd say, yet he couldn't crack the line up.

You have to base your theory on something else, pre season or training campss just won't cut it for me.

Mizral 10-01-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
You have to base your theory on something else, pre season or training campss just won't cut it for me.

I didn't mean to imply that I am basing it all on pre-season. But here's some added food for thought:

The Sedin's truely began playing like men around February of this year. Creating an amazing number of chances, although not scoring on them an awful lot.

In the Blues series, I felt the Sedin's were the best forwards on the Canucks through 7 games. They weren't bad against the Wild either. Again, they couldn't capitalize on their numerous chances enough, but they creates SO many chances. It came to a point where instead of saying, 'Oh boy, the WCE is on the ice now', I would get more exciting about Sedin/Sedin/Klatt coming out.

The progress is definetly there.

Enoch 10-01-2003 09:17 AM

Miz is right in that they did start picking up their play in the 2nd half of the season.

CCF 10-01-2003 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
I didn't mean to imply that I am basing it all on pre-season. But here's some added food for thought:

The Sedin's truely began playing like men around February of this year. Creating an amazing number of chances, although not scoring on them an awful lot.

In the Blues series, I felt the Sedin's were the best forwards on the Canucks through 7 games. They weren't bad against the Wild either. Again, they couldn't capitalize on their numerous chances enough, but they creates SO many chances. It came to a point where instead of saying, 'Oh boy, the WCE is on the ice now', I would get more exciting about Sedin/Sedin/Klatt coming out.

The progress is definetly there.

I thought this wasn't supposed to be about Daniel!? :p ;)

Jewelly 10-01-2003 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF
I thought this wasn't supposed to be about Daniel!? :p ;)

Yeah Miz... stay on topic will ya! :rant:

Henrik made a beauty of a pass (backhander I think but that's just from the radio) to King last who scored a goal. It was very pretty indeed.

I too am predicting a break out year for Hank and hope he keeps his promise of being "more selfish"... in a good way of course.

guinness 10-01-2003 09:43 AM

Unfortunately, the preseason doesn't mean anything, because if it did, the Wings would be in deep doo doo with the way Hasek has played for the most part. Sedins can only improve, give them this season to step up or ship them off for something good in return while Burke still can.

Freudian 10-01-2003 11:08 AM

The Sedins have one big advantage over most players in the league. Amazing split vision and awareness. So if they get the other facets of their games in order (skating mostly, but also getting even stronger) they will make their presence known in the big way.

While far from being busts this far, it is time to take another step offensively. Months ago I predicted both to break 50 points this year, and Henrik could probably break 60 depending on how he is used on PP.

Beukeboom Fan 10-01-2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinness
Unfortunately, the preseason doesn't mean anything, because if it did, the Wings would be in deep doo doo with the way Hasek has played for the most part.

I know it's off topic, but any Wing's fans a little squirrelly about Hasek this year? This is the guy that played roller hockey for a year, and wasn't exactly "dominating" in his previous year in the NHL.

I guess once the big guns (Hatcher, Lidstrom etc.) start playing 30 minutes a night that will help a lot as well!

LaVal 10-01-2003 01:38 PM

their playmaking was great last season, which is why there was a call for a 2nd line sniper. when Linden was put on the line it not only fueled the twins but gave Trevor a resurgence. they seem to make players around them better, as you can see in Trent Klatt's 16 goals this year who's total output for us was 4 before he was put on a line with the twins (no offense to him, but he had just as many goals from pucks bouncing off his ass and into the net as he did actually scoring).

although a good pickup, i doubt Arvedson is the man for the job. we may see Linden or King play on that line again during the season and hopefully the twins can step it up.

Mr. Canucklehead 10-01-2003 01:41 PM

Henrik's been ready for the past year, but Daniel's back problems have held them both back, in my opinion. But Hank seems primed to take on the 2nd line center role. However, I think it was LaVal that said Arvedson wasn't the man for the 2nd line wing job...I agree. I think he'll slide back to third line duty, maybe they'll reunite Linden with the Sedins, because they clicked very well. I heard Linden had something like 26 points in his last 30 games? Don't quote me on that, it's just hearsay...but nevertheless.

~Canucklehead~

LaVal 10-01-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Mizral, why is this in National Hockey League Talk. I know you may be having fun dancing and prancing about the Sedins but this should be on the Vancouver board. Maybe there should be a Board for player info.

i believe because this was meant to be discussed with people not wearing Canuck glasses. if the topic doesn't interest you, you can always opt not to open it.

Vlad The Impaler 10-01-2003 01:49 PM

I still find it hard to talk about one Sedin without mentioning the other. It has little to do with them being twins and more to do with them being accustomed to one another. One of their trademark asset is knowing each other so well on the ice.

To talk about the possibility of Henrik playing on the second line, you gotta wonder who will be on the second line, what happens to Daniel, etc.

I hope for a good season from both. I continue to think Daniel will be just as good and maybe a tad better than Henrik in the long run.

Malmo_Mike 10-01-2003 01:52 PM

I've already predicted on the Nucks board that Henrik will have a good year. I don't think he's going to ever be a top line guy but I think that he's just about ready to rack up around 50-60 points.

Coffey77 10-01-2003 02:00 PM

I see Henrik being a good 2 way 2nd liner. No, I don't see him becoming a number one guy like Jason Allison. But he's still a pretty good player, and one that shows up in the playoffs.

Some people are dissapointed since he and Daniel were the 2nd and 3rd pick overall. So people were expecting a lot more, especially now since this is their 3rd or 4th season in the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler 10-01-2003 02:02 PM

Quote:

Why do you figure that, what talents does Daniel have then Henrik does't. It seems Henrik is tougher and more talented then Daniel IMO.

A couple of plays I have seen over the years. I had always heard Daniel was the sniper but was surprised by his vision and playmaking throughout the years. He can be more dangerous than Henrik with the long pass from what I have seen. Gets the puck out of the zone in sneaky ways and right on his guy.

He seems more raw all-around but I think the ability is there for him to do well in all areas except physical play. I disagree on the talented part. I think Daniel is more talented than his brother but had it too easy in Sweden.

Apart from the physical play, another area where Henrik is better is obviously mentally. Daniel is really struggling with that. I could see him take some time like Markus Naslund and many others. Not saying he'll be as good but I could see him really get off the ground and become a real good player in a few years.

I would like also to see Daniel tried on the right wing. Apparently this has been done but I'd like to see it again. I think it could work.

Sotnos 10-01-2003 03:09 PM

Quote:

Mizral, why is this in National Hockey League Talk. I know you may be having fun dancing and prancing about the Sedins but this should be on the Vancouver board. Maybe there should be a Board for player info.

This is the board to go to if you want opinions on your players from people who aren't fans of your team.

Jewelly 10-01-2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos
This is the board to go to if you want opinions on your players from people who aren't fans of your team.

I was just about to say something like that... you beat me to it. :p

LaVal 10-01-2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewelly
I was just about to say something like that... you beat me to it. :p

i beat you all to it, except i said it in different words :p

zoidberg 10-01-2003 03:43 PM

If this is the standard for becoming a star (coming into camp really well conditioned and having a good preseason) Robert Dome is going to be a superstar. 3-3-6, good attitude, and great shape.

CCF 10-01-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
If this is the standard for becoming a star (coming into camp really well conditioned and having a good preseason) Robert Dome is going to be a superstar. 3-3-6, good attitude, and great shape.

For the Flames sake, I hope that comes true....

Sotnos 10-01-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaVal575
i beat you all to it, except i said it in different words :p

I know, but I felt compelled to chip in my $.02 ;)

Mr. Canucklehead 10-01-2003 04:19 PM

Quote:

Well almost the whole thread is invaded with Vancouver fans with their beer goggles on anyway.

Aren't we a ray of sunshine...the Sedins are the two players in Vancouver who, aside from Cloutier, fall under the most criticism. Henrik never deserved it--he's been a solid player from the get-go, and could break out in a big way this year. I'm not talking all-star calibre, but I don't think a 50+ point season is out of the question for him.

~Canucklehead~