HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Making the playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1591129)

ChrisNI 01-26-2014 07:54 AM

Making the playoffs

Bear with me for a few minutes guys I'm going to play the IF game and want to see what other fans think about it.

I'm basing this off no trades, we have the same team we have now and everybody is healthy so more like the start of the year.

I think we are going to make the playoffs and not in the wildcard spot.
I think when we make the playoffs we can do quite well and get further than the 1st round, I'm going to say we get to the conference finals but we get put out. 1st round we'll surprise whoever it is and get a 4-2 series win. 2nd round will go to 7, we'll win 4-3 and conference finals we'll get put out 4-1.

It wasn't that long ago since we surprised the league and had one of the best starts in Avs history. Our 3 forward lines could outmatch anyone, our D were playing like NHL players and our goalies were catching everything!

So fellow fans,

IF we make the playoffs and IF everyone plays as well as we have seen them play, how do you think we could do?

JoemAvs 01-26-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisNI (Post 78774979)
Bear with me for a few minutes guys I'm going to play the IF game and want to see what other fans think about it.

I'm basing this off no trades, we have the same team we have now and everybody is healthy so more like the start of the year.

I think we are going to make the playoffs and not in the wildcard spot.
I think when we make the playoffs we can do quite well and get further than the 1st round, I'm going to say we get to the conference finals but we get put out. 1st round we'll surprise whoever it is and get a 4-2 series win. 2nd round will go to 7, we'll win 4-3 and conference finals we'll get put out 4-1.

It wasn't that long ago since we surprised the league and had one of the best starts in Avs history. Our 3 forward lines could outmatch anyone, our D were playing like NHL players and our goalies were catching everything!

So fellow fans,

IF we make the playoffs and IF everyone plays as well as we have seen them play, how do you think we could do?

Quick first round exit if we make it to the show.
We are not upsetting STL or CHI and that is who we have to play against in the first round thanks to the new alignment.
I hope we win a game or two. That would make me very happy and this season a giant success.

Avsboy 01-26-2014 08:01 AM

It will be the Varly show

klozge 01-26-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoemAvs (Post 78775039)
We are not upsetting STL or CHI and that is who we have to play against in the first round thanks to the new alignment.
I hope we win a game or two. That would make me very happy and this season a giant success.

That's what I think as well. In the playoffs everything can happen but the Blues and the Hawks are too good this year imo.

Teuras 01-26-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

I second this

ChrisNI 01-26-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

STL probably not we seem to be very outclassed by them, losing 7-3 and 4-1 in our series this season.

CHI would be our best chance I think, we've split big goal games this season winning 5-1 then losing 7-2 and the 3rd was a tight 3-2 OT win for us.

So I would say against CHI winning more than a couple of games is a real possibility, we could maybe even make a series out of it and go to 7 games. As above though I think STL would wipe the floor with us unfortunately.

Teuras 01-26-2014 08:24 AM

Teams play better in the playoffs. I don't see guys like Holden, Guenin, etc turning it on when the going gets tough

InjuredChoker 01-26-2014 08:44 AM

imo regular season games doesn't mean much going into the series.. wild played almost as well as any other team against the hawks last year.. competely underwhelmed against them in playoffs. hawks swept wings on regular season, had the hardest time against them in playoffs. pens beat bruins in reg. season series, swept in a embarrassing fashion at playoffs.

teams get to focus on each other more in a playoff series, travel, schedule, intensity etc are all different.

Ceremony 01-26-2014 09:55 AM

If we play Chicago or St. Louis we'll take 2 games off them at most. Anyone else, who knows.

Teuras 01-26-2014 10:19 AM

We would have to win the division to face a team other than CHI or STL

Sheet 01-26-2014 10:19 AM

Uh, if we even make the play offs, which is look likely, this season will be a huge success and I'll be quoting a pile of quotes from last season in a bunch of different threads how I said we'd be in the play offs this year and people calling me crazy and obviously homering.

Prepare to eat crow, naysayers.

Anyway, yeah, we probably aren't making the finals... If we clear the first round I'm going to be tickled pink.

viach 01-26-2014 10:21 AM

Before talk playoffs, I notice that we scored at least one goal in every game played this season
:handclap:

Qurpiz 01-26-2014 10:28 AM

If the Avs face Chicago in the first round, anything can happen and all those kinds of things.

If it's the Blues, I think it's going to be horrible. Avs stack up so badly against them...

But, the experience will be worth a lot in the next few years

Colorado Avalanche 01-26-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuras (Post 78778399)

Wow that's awful. How does it work exactly? Why is the system like this? So basically we are always going to face either CHI or STL in first round? That's pretty ******** If you ask me.

Teuras 01-26-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche (Post 78780595)
Wow that's awful. How does it work exactly? Why is the system like this? So basically we are always going to face either CHI or STL in first round? That's pretty ******** If you ask me.

#2 and #3 in the division will face each other. The division champs will face one of the wild card teams. Division champ with more points will face the wild card with less points.

Hans Landaskog 01-26-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche (Post 78780595)

1 Vs Wildcard team
2 vs 3

In each division, then division champs play each other to go to Stanley cup.

Teuras 01-26-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog (Post 78780825)
1 Vs Wildcard team
2 vs 3

Is the Division championship decided in regular season or playoffs? Not that it's a really big title anyway

Like for example how could a Pacific division wild card team be the Central Division champion?

Hans Landaskog 01-26-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuras (Post 78781069)
Is the Division championship decided in regular season or playoffs? Not that it's a really big title anyway

Different. I'm not sure there will be an official banner for being division champs during playoffs. The division title is regular season.

Colorado Avalanche 01-26-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog (Post 78780825)
1 Vs Wildcard team
2 vs 3

Wow, that's bad. Why is it like this? They hope It's gonna be great rivalry or something? Seems like pretty unfair, If you get stuck in very tough division.

Teuras 01-26-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche (Post 78781391)
Wow, that's bad. Why is it like this? They hope It's gonna be great rivalry or something? Seems like pretty unfair, If you get stuck in very tough division.

I think it makes sense. That's why there are the wild card teams. If another division is better in the standings then 5 teams get a playoff spot while the worse division get only 3 spots.

My English phrasing is really pushing its limits when I have to go to such fine detail :laugh:

Foppa Frossa 01-26-2014 11:49 AM

99+% odds of making the playoffs, with the most likely opponent being CHI then SJS. Don't think we'll have much of a shot of beating either of them, I just hope it's not a sweep :laugh:

tigervixxxen 01-26-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuras (Post 78778399)

That's not true. If we take the last wild card spot we'd get the best division winner which is surely Anaheim. But yes, in most scenarios we'd get either St Louis or Chicago.

We are not getting San Jose. That site still thinks we have a good chance of winning the division.

I actually think a series against Chicago could be interesting. We match up well with them. They are not as good this year. They'd be right with us in the standings if they didn't have 12 ! Loser points already. Anything further than the first round is wishful thinking but you never know.

Teuras 01-26-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigervixxen (Post 78782051)
That's not true. If we take the last wild card spot we'd get the best division winner which is surely Anaheim. But yes, in most scenarios we'd get either St Louis or Chicago.

We are not getting San Jose. That site still thinks we have a good chance of winning the division.

I actually think a series against Chicago could be interesting. We match up well with them. They are not as good this year. They'd be right with us in the standings if they didn't have 12 ! Loser points already. Anything further than the first round is wishful thinking but you never know.

Yeah I forgot about that. My subconscious blocked the chance of falling in the standings :D

tigervixxxen 01-26-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuras (Post 78781613)
I think it makes sense. That's why there are the wild card teams. If another division is better in the standings then 5 teams get a playoff spot while the worse division get only 3 spots.

My English phrasing is really pushing its limits when I have to go to such fine detail :laugh:

In the east it might actually be more beneficial to take second in the Metro and take on the third Metro team rather than get first in the Metro and get a wild card from the Atlantic. For example New Jersey would be the third but Detroit would be the wild card. :laugh:

Teuras 01-26-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigervixxen (Post 78782423)
In the east it might actually be more beneficial to take second in the Metro and take on the third Metro team rather than get first in the Metro and get a wild card from the Atlantic. For example New Jersey would be the third but Detroit would be the wild card. :laugh:

Also true. The system does have its flaws. They could go back to the 8 seed format if this one gets too ridiculous