HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Steve Downie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1591325)

OriginJM 01-26-2014 02:19 PM

Steve Downie

What the **** is wrong with him?

He doesn't have 1 point in 14 games.

He came in hot from Colorado and played great, he won lots of a battles and was doing some great playmaking. It's been all downhill from there.

More 2004 01-26-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginJM (Post 78793081)

He came in hot from Colorado and played great, he won lots of a battles and was doing some great playmaking. It's been all downhill from there.

trade to Tampa?

Raffl House 01-26-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

A combination of things, I suspect. Finding a spot in the top 9, residual effects from a concussion, lack of hustle, bad attitude, poor usage by coaching team, etc.

FLYguy3911 01-26-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Hasn't been the same since he got his face beat in.

Raffl House 01-26-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 (Post 78793763)
Hasn't been the same since he got his face beat in.

That too. Although I can't imagine you or I would be the same after that, either.

LegionOfDoom91 01-26-2014 02:40 PM

Downie had 6 points (all assists) in his first six games back from after the Washington game playing with Couturier & Read, so I don't really know if it was the injury from the fight that caused him to fall off a cliff recently.

BillDineen 01-26-2014 03:06 PM

The only thing worse than complainers, are others complaining about the complaining. (Yes, I realize that I am complaining about complainers of complainers).

bennysflyers16 01-26-2014 03:21 PM

Trade him for whatever we can get and insert a player into line up that can skate,

Harold Bingo 01-26-2014 03:24 PM

Didn't Downie get hit pretty good at least one, maybe two, time(s) after he took that beating from Volpatt? Hits that looked like they could rattle the ol' brain?

I don't know what it is, but he doesn't look the same; he looks so sluggish out there.

Jacques Oeuf 01-28-2014 10:33 AM

Ottawa and Phoenix are both actively shopping for wingers. Phoenix has good D depth, and being in the Western conference maybe their scouting reports will be more influenced by the Downie that was playing top 6 and doing well in Colorado.

Hiesenberg 01-28-2014 10:35 AM

He looks like he has a concussion, seriously.

Its almost like that weird Nick Foles game. Nothing makes any sense.

JackStraw 01-28-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfgreg (Post 78793183)
trade to Tampa?

For Matt Carle?

Beef Invictus 01-28-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackStraw (Post 78907517)
For Matt Carle?

Please no, we don't need to add another overpaid dman to this group, which is the most expensive D group in the league as it is.

FlyersFanz 01-28-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 78909445)
Please no, we don't need to add another overpaid dman to this group, which is the most expensive D group in the league as it is.

Pretty sad when you think about this..Flyers D is so below average.

Tripod 01-28-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pain2007 (Post 78906057)
Ottawa and Phoenix are both actively shopping for wingers. Phoenix has good D depth, and being in the Western conference maybe their scouting reports will be more influenced by the Downie that was playing top 6 and doing well in Colorado.

I like the Phoenix idea. Rundblad is always scratched. Maybe a deal involving those 2 with us adding a future piece to them(not our top prospects).

Hiesenberg 01-28-2014 12:09 PM

I've seen people on Twitter chirp about Rundblad.

Appleyard 01-28-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 78911275)
I've seen people on Twitter chirp about Rundblad.

The guy has insane offensive instincts... like he could get 50 points from D. But he is awful in his own zone, the thing is he has the attributes to be good in his own zone, big and strong, quick, good passer and puckhandler.

He is a risk... but one with great upside.

I duno what the cost would be though...

Harold Bingo 01-28-2014 12:23 PM

Gill, Rosehill, Meszaros, Downie for Rundblad. Sounds fair to me.

BleedOrange 01-28-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 78906141)
He looks like he has a concussion, seriously.

Its almost like that weird Nick Foles game. Nothing makes any sense.

If he does have a concussion no way shouldd he be out there:laugh:

Hiesenberg 01-28-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 78911767)
The guy has insane offensive instincts... like he could get 50 points from D. But he is awful in his own zone, the thing is he has the attributes to be good in his own zone, big and strong, quick, good passer and puckhandler.

I'm in for that. Pair him up with Schenn, make sure Schenn doesn't cross the red line.

LegionOfDoom91 01-28-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 78911767)

The clock is ticking on him, he's 23 turning 24 & still stuck in the minors while younger guys are passing him on the Yotes depth chart.

My understanding is he's also more of Mark Streit type of offensive defensemen & not necessarily a puck mover.

I wouldn't mind acquiring him but I wouldn't give up anything of real value.

Appleyard 01-28-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 78914379)
The clock is ticking on him, he's 23 turning 24 & still stuck in the minors while younger guys are passing him on the Yotes depth chart.

My understanding is he's also more of Mark Streit type of offensive defensemen & not necessarily a puck mover.

I wouldn't mind acquiring him but I wouldn't give up anything of real value.

Oh, he can really move a puck, great hands, absurd vision coupled with a good first step and shiftiness (not like fast per-say, but agile.)

He is actually on the roster... and has been all year, he is the number 7 though... I don't think he has had more than three games at a time this season.

I think he is an NHL D man already, he is just in a very awkward situation. They really have not given him a chance to develop, he is far too good for the AHL but they don't let him have a run in the team, even when he has played ok.

I don't know how they don't move him... he really cannot be in their plans.

In pre-season he looked their best D man when given time with good forwards and on the PP... then Tippett seemed still intent on benching him.

His confidence is done... like he just looked so terrified of making a mistake in his own end now as he knows if he does he rides pine for two weeks that he is not playing his more natural game.

All I ever read about him as well says his attitude is fantastic as well, like just keeps plugging away and does not moan.

He really does seem like the kind of guy who a change of scenery would be perfect for.

I know what you mean though, not worth giving a lot up for... merely due to even if he pans out his D will likely never be great and he will therefore be a 2nd pairing PP guy (albeit a 40+ point puckmoving one).

DrinkFightFlyers 01-28-2014 03:37 PM

I don't think the concussion can really be to blame, he played well when he came back from the concussion, then kind of fizzled. He had 12 points in the games in mid-Novemeber up until mid-December after coming back. Then he just kind of disappeared. I guess it could be concussion related, and maybe I am just ill-informed on the medical aspects, but I would think the first month after coming back form the concussion would be harder than the second month, unless he injured himself further in that time (of which I am not aware).

achdumeingute 01-28-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 78921411)
Oh, he can really move a puck, great hands, absurd vision coupled with a good first step and shiftiness (not like fast per-say, but agile.)

He is actually on the roster... and has been all year, he is the number 7 though... I don't think he has had more than three games at a time this season.

I think he is an NHL D man already, he is just in a very awkward situation. They really have not given him a chance to develop, he is far too good for the AHL but they don't let him have a run in the team, even when he has played ok.

I don't know how they don't move him... he really cannot be in their plans.

In pre-season he looked their best D man when given time with good forwards and on the PP... then Tippett seemed still intent on benching him.

His confidence is done... like he just looked so terrified of making a mistake in his own end now as he knows if he does he rides pine for two weeks that he is not playing his more natural game.

All I ever read about him as well says his attitude is fantastic as well, like just keeps plugging away and does not moan.

He really does seem like the kind of guy who a change of scenery would be perfect for.

I know what you mean though, not worth giving a lot up for... merely due to even if he pans out his D will likely never be great and he will therefore be a 2nd pairing PP guy (albeit a 40+ point puckmoving one).

well yotes fans say 3 of their current top 6 likely are not there next year. so there is his chance.

LegionOfDoom91 01-28-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 78921411)

I think there would be a difference in value between the Yotes & other teams when talking Runblad. Phoenix invested a good player in Turris (although he forced their hand) in him & I'm sure other teams would be looking for a buy low situation so that could make things difficult. Maloney doesn't have much resources so he always has to look for smart moves to stay ahead of the curve.