HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Rangers looking at Callahan for Chris Stewart (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1594865)

sureloss 01-31-2014 09:21 AM

Rangers looking at Callahan for Chris Stewart

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

Vokouna Maattata 01-31-2014 09:22 AM

That's very interesting to say the least. However, Stewart needs a playmaking center to be effective, but I'm not sure there's a spot for Stewart with a playmaking center with Nash on the roster. I also don't know the Rangers roster that well.

Raspewtin 01-31-2014 09:24 AM

Stewart + 1st is fine with me.

Jeffro 01-31-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspewtin (Post 79101995)

Not gonna happen. The difference between UFA Callahan and Stewart signed for another year is not a first. The Blues' second, maybe, or a prospect like Hakanpaa.

That said, ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...

BroadwayHustle 01-31-2014 09:26 AM

He would be replacing Callahan in the lineup, so you figure he would be playing with Richards. I don't really like the trade with Stewart as the main piece, but could live with it I guess.

With our lineup being

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-Stewart
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

jpw1910 01-31-2014 09:26 AM

Callahan in the Blue note???

GIMME.

Raspewtin 01-31-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffro (Post 79102057)
Not gonna happen. The difference between UFA Callahan and Stewart signed for another year is not a first. The Blues' second, maybe, or a prospect like Hakanpaa.

That said, ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...

If the Blues are trading for Callahan, they probably believe they can make a run. That 1st becomes less valuable, I would think.

Stewart has not been good this year, and Callahan is the better player either way. I think the 1st is fair.

bleedblue1223 01-31-2014 09:28 AM

As long as we aren't adding much if at all, I'm good with it.

Alklha 01-31-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

I bet it is.

If the Rangers are trading Callahan then it is probably because his contract demands are stupid. The Blues have Oshie, Tarasenko and Jaškin on RW beyond this season, so there is no way we're going to be giving out an insane contract to a player like him. Maybe we feel moving Stewart for a rental would be worthwhile, but there is no way I see us adding.

Chris Cutter 01-31-2014 09:29 AM

If the Blues land Callahan, they'll be the team to beat for sure. Hopefully they get Thomas too.

bluemandan 01-31-2014 09:29 AM

I don't like the idea of trading Stewart for a rental.

Jeffro 01-31-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspewtin (Post 79102165)
If the Blues are trading for Callahan, they probably believe they can make a run. That 1st becomes less valuable, I would think.

Stewart has not been good this year, and Callahan is the better player either way. I think the 1st is fair.

Setting aside value, the Blues can't move their first for Callahan if they're planning on acquiring other US Olympians in New York state.

snizzbone 01-31-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

for a UFA? I think a straight up swap would be more likely. Callahan obviously asking for Clarkson money.

The Mars Volchenkov 01-31-2014 09:31 AM

Talk about the exact opposite players.

Raspewtin 01-31-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alklha (Post 79102217)
I bet it is.

If the Rangers are trading Callahan then it is probably because his contract demands are stupid. The Blues have Oshie, Tarasenko and Jaškin on RW beyond this season, so there is no way we're going to be giving out an insane contract to a player like him. Maybe we feel moving Stewart for a rental would be worthwhile, but there is no way I see us adding.

Hey, it's your team this trade is connected to, not like I'm pushing anything.

Callahan would make the Blues downright scary come playoff time, as if they weren't already.

Beukeboom Fan 01-31-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

It's not like Callahan is tearing up the league this year either. I do agree that Callahan is the better player, but even in a supposedly poor draft year there is no way IMO that a 1st is added to Stewart considering the extra year on his contract (at a reasonable rate).

haseoke39 01-31-2014 09:33 AM

I think Stewart + 1st is a good deal for the Blues. You replace a floater with one of the best two way forwards in the game. Fits the team perfectly.

guyzeur 01-31-2014 09:33 AM

Maybe make it a conditional first if he signs?

Levitate 01-31-2014 09:33 AM

Stewart is too inconsistent. He'd give the Rangers size but ehhh not a big fan of him being the major part of a trade. he is what he is at this point and isn't going to magically get better

Raspewtin 01-31-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan (Post 79102425)
It's not like Callahan is tearing up the league this year either. I do agree that Callahan is the better player, but even in a supposedly poor draft year there is no way IMO that a 1st is added to Stewart considering the extra year on his contract (at a reasonable rate).

Kinda tough to get in a groove when you've had three injuries in a year, no?

Chris Stewart is the posterboy for inconsistency in the NHL.

When he's on, he's a force. One of the most unique players in the NHL.

Unfortunately, he's not "on" that much. He floats an awful lot.

That's why I want a 1st. I don't know which Stewart the Rangers are getting.

haseoke39 01-31-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan (Post 79102425)

What's the real value in an extra year of Christ Stewart putting up 35 points against other teams' secondary talents while generally floating around out there?

bluemandan 01-31-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Stewart is under contract next season. Callahan isn't.

Blues first is likely pretty late in the first with our without Callahan.

Callahan, like Stewart, is also having a down year.

Chris Cutter 01-31-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspewtin (Post 79102489)
Kinda tough to get in a groove when you've had three injuries in a year, no?

Chris Stewart is the posterboy for inconsistency in the NHL.

When he's on, he's a force. One of the most unique players in the NHL.

Unfortunately, he's not "on" that much. He floats an awful lot.

That's why I want a 1st. I don't know which Stewart the Rangers are getting.

You're getting the Stewart who's an impending UFA next year so between me and you, he won't float that much if he wants a nice big pay day during the summer.

Levitate 01-31-2014 09:37 AM

Remember Paul Gaustad got a first round pick in return a few years ago...Callahan is a better player and the idea would be if the Blues wanted him, they believe they are a cup contender and he would help put them over the top. They're not getting him because they think they can re-sign him, they're getting him because they think he can help them win a cup and that means the price isn't exactly going to always make sense

That said, still dont' really see this being a good trade for the Rangers unless there would be more to it. Not sure it happens.

StuckOutHere 01-31-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 79102547)
Stewart is under contract next season. Callahan isn't.

Blues first is likely pretty late in the first with our without Callahan.

Callahan, like Stewart, is also having a down year.

This is also a garbage draft. 1st round picks are going to fly this year.