HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Forsberg bodyguards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=159559)

The Kingslayer 08-06-2005 03:57 PM

Forsberg bodyguards

I was always concerned for Forsberg in Colorado because he never really had a true enforcer to protect him but now he is on a flyer team that has guys like Brashear and Primeau.....will these guys be able to really protect Peter?

Roger's Pancreas* 08-06-2005 04:26 PM

The Flyers have a pretty intimidating team on paper and hopefully that will cut down on teams trying to lowball Forsberg. You mentioned Primeau as a body guard but he's more valuable to the team when he's on the ice.

Brad* 08-06-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
no1. Primeau doesn't fight.
no2. Brashear doesn't fight.

:confused:

MojoJojo 08-06-2005 07:05 PM

Well one good thing about that knukle dragger Derian Hatcher is that he will fight.

Goulet17 08-06-2005 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, it won't matter if you have enforcers or not.

Forsberg physically engages the other team, and as a result, referees have always let the other team maul him figuring that he doesn't deserve special treatment.

He is ultra competitive and he will take abuse by the very nature of his style of play.

Unfortunately the other teams know this, and they will try to take him off his game by running him.

An enforcer won't matter, the Avs had Chris Simon and Peter Worrell and it didn't stop him from getting seriously injured at times. The Avs also had the deterrent of a fiercely talented power play to dissuade teams, but it didn't matter.

Just ask Hitchcock, he wrote the book on running Forsberg while he was in Dallas. And guess what, Dallas was supremely successful against the Avs.

Liquidrage* 08-06-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goulet17
Unfortunately, it won't matter if you have enforcers or not.

Forsberg physically engages the other team, and as a result, referees have always let the other team maul him figuring that he doesn't deserve special treatment.

He is ultra competitive and he will take abuse by the very nature of his style of play.

Unfortunately the other teams know this, and they will try to take him off his game by running him.

An enforcer won't matter, the Avs had Chris Simon and Peter Worrell and it didn't stop him from getting seriously injured at times. The Avs also had the deterrent of a fiercely talented power play to dissuade teams, but it didn't matter.

Just ask Hitchcock, he wrote the book on running Forsberg while he was in Dallas. And guess what, Dallas was supremely successful against the Avs.

Seems he played a lot of games when Simon was there actually.
Worrell is as bad as Brash if not worse when it comes to sticking up for teamates.

Hatcher's the one. Teams can be physical with him. But a bad run? Hatcher will get suspended sticking up for a teamate like that. Ask JR.

No offense, but we're a lot tougher as a team then any Av's team has been. And when the Av's actually had a guy that would drop the gloves all the time, Forsberg seemed to play in a lot more games then in other years. Doesn't mean he won't take some abuse. He will. But it can be held down to a minimum.

Liquidrage* 08-06-2005 10:42 PM

And really. Forsberg's played at least 72 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons he's played. And he's coming off a very short year thanks to an injury and the lockout.

So I say there's a good chance that'll he'll be fine and play 70+ games and then the playoffs. A very good chance.

Goulet17 08-06-2005 11:23 PM

Saying Forsberg has played in 72 games in 4 or more of the last seasons that he played is like saying Eric Lindros was very durable if you don't take into account concussions.

In the most recent seasons that Peter has played, starting with the 1999 playoffs, he has played in 50 or more games only once. In 1999 playoffs, Richard Matvichuk ran him into the boards, severely separating his shoulder and causing him to miss a good portion of the 1999-2000 season. In 2000-2001, he played 73 games as the Avs marched toward a cup, unfortunately he ruptured a spleen after game 7 of the second round and was done for the remainder of the playoffs.

Peter left for Sweden at the beginning of the 2001-2002 season, but he didn't play for MODO, he had ankle surgery during the fall of 2001 to repair damage that he had aggravated during the summer of 2001 playing soccer. He attempted to return mid-way through the 2001-2002 season, but the Avs organization discovered that his ankle hadn't properly healed and required a second surgery, he missed the remainder of the 2001-2002 season. He did come back for the 2002 playoffs and was spectacular.

During the 2003-2004 season, Peter was healthy and he won the Hart Trophy as the league's MVP. It was a testament to what he can do when healthy.

Unfortunately, the following season of 2003-2004, Peter tore an abdominal muscle that required surgery to repair after the season. He played in only 39 games, during many of which he probably played at 70%.

During the lockout last year, he played at MODO, in the supposedly less physical swedish league, he suffered a broken hand and promptly suffered a concussion upon his return.

Unfortunately, Peter has also suffered multiple concussions during his career.

I will say that Peter Forsberg is my favorite player in the NHL, and he has been since his rookie year with Quebec in 1994-95. I admire his competiveness above all else.

Peter never takes a shift off, and he is the most competitive superstar I have ever watched in the NHL. He will be a crowd favorite in Philly.

That said, he plays the game with such passion, and reckless abandon, that he is a high risk player when it comes to injury. No "enforcer" is going to change that. In fact, given the last several years, I don't think the traditional "enforcer" acts as a deterrent at all.

Foppa2118 08-06-2005 11:29 PM

As an Avalance fan, I was never concerned about how many games he played during the regular season. If he was healthy in time for the playoffs, that's all that mattered. One of the, if not the best, and most consistent playoff performers over the last 10 years.

BTW ice berg, Parker and Simon were here to protect him for while. I would add Worrell, but he was barely in the lineup, and never even won a fight.

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice berg slim
I was always concerned for Forsberg in Colorado because he never really had a true enforcer to protect him but now he is on a flyer team that has guys like Brashear and Primeau.....will these guys be able to really protect Peter?

Thats because Forsberg is pratically a PF that protects himself!

Brad* 08-06-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa2118
As an Avalance fan, I was never concerned about how many games he played during the regular season. If he was healthy in time for the playoffs, that's all that mattered. One of the, if not the best, and most consistent playoff performers over the last 10 years.

BTW ice berg, Parker and Simon were here to protect him for while. I would add Worrell, but he was barely in the lineup, and never even won a fight.

That's all I can hope for. I imagine that he'll miss some time during the season, but hopefully he'll be ready for the playoffs.

Pepper 08-07-2005 11:04 AM

Forsberg has always had good enforcers around him.

Simon, Parker, Worrell etc.

SChan* 08-07-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper
Forsberg has always had good enforcers around him.

Simon, Parker, Worrell etc.

You gotta be kidding.

Simon left Colorado 96/97 season. Parker was a joke, and got hardly any playtime. Worrell has a played like 5 games with Forsberg.

Forsberg's best enforcer was Chris Simon and he is long gone.

swflyers8* 08-07-2005 01:30 PM

Stevenson, Hatcher, Brashear and maybe Rathje. I would watch myself if I had the first 3 on the other team.

Goulet17 08-07-2005 01:37 PM

I don't think many of you have watched hockey since the instigator rule.

NYR94 08-07-2005 01:49 PM

I don't think he really needs much protection in addition to guys like Hatcher and Stevenson. If anything, the rest of the NHL should worry about protecting themselves from him , because he's going to tear this league up with the new rules for added offense. Be very afraid.