HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nash Resigns with Columbus (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=159588)

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 05:05 PM

Nash Resigns with Columbus

Per tsn, Nash has signed a 5 year 27M deal(5.4M per). Now my question is if a guy who has never played in playoffs, only played 2 years. Granted he had the co-lead in goals, but only a career high of 57 points. how much will guys like Thornton and Lecavalier get, 6+?

Epsilon 08-06-2005 05:09 PM

Kovalchuk and Heatley must both be loving the numbers on that deal. They can probably aim for 6 million+, Kovalchuk in particular.

Hockey_Nut99 08-06-2005 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Per tsn, Nash has signed a 5 year 27M deal(5.4M per). Now my question is if a guy who has never played in playoffs, only played 2 years. Granted he had the co-lead in goals, but only a career high of 57 points. how much will guys like Thornton and Lecavalier get, 6+?

More...

Shoalzie 08-06-2005 05:10 PM

$5.4 million for a future captain and 50-60 goal scorer...I'd take that.

Freaky Habs Fan 08-06-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Not much higher then Nash...Rick is the cornerstone of Columbus so they gave him a high salary to be able to keep him for many years...

19nazzy 08-06-2005 05:13 PM

Hejduk is a nice bargain :)

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey_Nut99
More...

Thats pretty much all they had. Tsn.ca Nash Signs

Epsilon 08-06-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Thats pretty much all they had. Tsn.ca Nash Signs

I think he meant "more money" as a response to your question.

Don Draper 08-06-2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie
$5.4 million for a future captain and 50-60 goal scorer...I'd take that.

you pay for accomplishments, not potential. I think the last year of this deal is going to look good for columbus, the present, not so much.

I dont know why they signed him up until his free agency kicks in, why not leave a year or two to make him prove his worth? Or give time to get a long term deal done before he hits the open market. I am going to call this a move to keep the fans happy.

I think he will be worth this money, but by no means has he yet

MHA 08-06-2005 05:18 PM

Nash proved in the World Championships that he is a level above Thornton

Epsilon 08-06-2005 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHA

WHAT??????

Thornton outperformed Nash in the WCs, and was more responsible for Nash's production than the other way round.

avalanche_country 08-06-2005 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
you pay for accomplishments, not potential. I think the last year of this deal is going to look good for columbus, the present, not so much.

I dont know why they signed him up until his free agency kicks in, why not leave a year or two to make him prove his worth? Or give time to get a long term deal done before he hits the open market. I am going to call this a move to keep the fans happy.

I think he will be worth this money, but by no means has he yet

couldn't of said it better

norrisnick 08-06-2005 05:20 PM

This is by far the worst contract handed out thus far. It's worse than $2.5M to Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon

oh, lol! My bad!

rwilson99 08-06-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

This is the deal that will get Doug MacLean fired.

Why on earth would a GM overpay a player like Nash, just to cover the years where he would be an RFA. Here's a player who hasn't even made the playoffs earning 5M.

Absolutely stupid. How are you going to put any talent around Nash with two players taking up 25% of your cap.

Epsilon 08-06-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norrisnick
This is by far the worst contract handed out thus far. It's worse than $2.5M to Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

TIE DOMI. :D

Art Vandelay 08-06-2005 05:29 PM

Nash 5.4/y

Thats more then Kariya, Hejduk, Palffy etc....
Same as Forsberg. IMO a very bad contract.

Eddie Vedder 08-06-2005 05:30 PM

this much money so soon is a little excessive.. but i guess if you dont want to lose himt o ufa in a few years, this is whats gonna happen..

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

oh, lol! My bad!

btn 08-06-2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

Kovalchuk and Heatley must both be loving the numbers on that deal. They can probably aim for 6 million+, Kovalchuk in particular.

I was hoping Waddell would ink Ilya and Heatley before Monopoly Money Maclean ironed it out with Nash.

Not a good signing for Atlanta.(expensive now, but should be a good value in a couple of years)

The Maltais Falcon 08-06-2005 05:34 PM

What in the world is Doug MacLean thinking? He's giving 27 million dollars to a kid that has had one good season?! I'm not dogging Nash - I do think he has a bright future - but this is exactly the kind of BS that got the league into so much trouble in the first place.

Now my Thrashers are looking at having to allocate at least $60 million for Heatley and Kovalchuk over the next five years.

Thanks a lot, *******.

Mothra 08-06-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHA

You mean the very same tourny that Thornton was named MVP of?

Don Draper 08-06-2005 05:57 PM

to put this into perspective for people, pre-rollback, this deal is worth 7.2mill per season. For a player with no arbitration rights, wow.

Its great for him though, cause even if he mails it in the next 5 years, they cant take him to abritration cause he will be a UFA by the end of his deal. So really, he only has to play hard for a year to make sure he gets paid a second time

I am in no way saying hes a contract hunter, but deals like this set a precedent across the league, and there will be players who will fall into that category, and will cripple a teams cap room after signing long contracts.

This is so incredibly frustrating, lets hope teams use the Hejduk contract as the standard, not this albatross

Vincent_TheGreat 08-06-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHA

I didn't think so. I thought they were both awesome, but I thought Thornton was a little better.

Nash IMO is a very good player with a tremendous future, but this deal came to early, I was thinking he would get a 3 year 3.5M a year deal, then if he kept getting better, playoffs more points etc, then he would get a 5M deal. But guys like Lecavalier or Thornton who have had more accomplishments and done more for their team were going to be around that, although they are gonna ask for more then 5M per. I definitely think Nash will be a superstar its just a little to early for such a big contract.

SuperUnknown 08-06-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
to put this into perspective for people, pre-rollback, this deal is worth 7.2mill per season. For a player with no arbitration rights, wow.

Its great for him though, cause even if he mails it in the next 5 years, they cant take him to abritration cause he will be a UFA by the end of his deal. So really, he only has to play hard for a year to make sure he gets paid a second time

I am in no way saying hes a contract hunter, but deals like this set a precedent across the league, and there will be players who will fall into that category, and will cripple a teams cap room after signing long contracts.

This is so incredibly frustrating, lets hope teams use the Hejduk contract as the standard, not this albatross

Absolutely crazy contract. Colombus overpays so much. Market can't even be set with that, because teams won't have the money to pay all those players $5-6M!! At best, teams can pay 2-3 of their players that amount, but then they need to pay the rest of their players all below $2M.