HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers protected/avail list released (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15995)

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 11:42 AM

Rangers protected/avail list released

Protected

Matthew Barnaby, F; Anson Carter, F; Greg de Vries, D; Jan Hlavac, F; Bobby Holik, F; Darius Kasparaitis, D; Alex Kovalev, F; Dan Lacouture, F; Brian Leetch, D; Eric Lindros, F; Vladimir Malakhov, D; Mark Messier, F; Boris Mironov, D; Petr Nedved, F; Tom Poti, D; Dale Purinton, D; Martin Rucinsky, F; Chris Simon, F; Mike Dunham, G; Jussi Markkanen, G.

Available

Pavel Bure, F; Ken Gernander, F; Paul Healey, F; Jeff Heerema, F; Shawn Heins, D; John Jakopin, D; Cory Larose, F; Lawrence Nycholat, D; Ronald Petrovicky, F; Mike Richter, G.

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/10/152128.html

some interesting players avail from each team. Minny left Daigle unprotected, and hell i wouldnt mind picking the guy up. I know we have anrough 3rd/4th liners battling already, but if hes available and theres no worthy D-men to snag, id take hum. Ive always for some reason liked the man. He scored some nice goals as a ranger.

I hope we dont lose Heerema, i really liked that signing, low risk possible high reward.

Barnaby 10-01-2003 11:44 AM

Daigle? I think we have enough primadonnas... thanks but no thanks!!

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Daigle? I think we have enough primadonnas... thanks but no thanks!!

I just rememberd that if we were to draft someone, we have to unprotect someone else. Since that is the case, I wouldnt sign Daigle afterall.

Melrose_Jr. 10-01-2003 11:47 AM

Wow, I didn't realize Nycholat had to be protected.

Barnaby 10-01-2003 11:47 AM

I don't want him but its kind of interesting.... the Isles exposed Czerkawski... so much for him being there top scoring winger...

Barnaby 10-01-2003 11:49 AM

Brian Boucher and Todd Harvey are also available..... Id grab Harvey and unprotect Simon.

True Blue 10-01-2003 11:50 AM

Why would Sather not expose Malacough or Messier? No one in their right mind would pick up either of those 2. And let's face it, would it really be a horror if they were to be picked up?

A player I would not mind if Sather decided to claim is Mike Weaver from Atlanta. He's a scrappy d-man. I see that Joel Bouchard is unprotected also. Personally I thought that he played REALLY well for us last year. I think that the Devs are trying to sneak Giroux through. I've read comments that there are those who think that he can be a good #6/7 for them.

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 11:51 AM

Quote:

I don't want him but its kind of interesting.... the Isles exposed Czerkawski... so much for him being there top scoring winger...

that surprised me. I think someone may take a chance on him.. but i doubt it.

Barnaby 10-01-2003 11:52 AM

Cuz like it or not Malakhov is our 3rd or 4th d-man. I am not as low on him as you guys are, regardless he still logs alot of min... I dont know about you but I dont want Purinton getting 20 min a night. I would have kept Petro and exposed Simon.... but hey thats me.

Melrose_Jr. 10-01-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Id grab Harvey and unprotect Simon.

Harvey can't fight anymore because of concussions.

Brooklyn Ranger 10-01-2003 11:56 AM

Quote:

Brian Boucher and Todd Harvey are also available..... Id grab Harvey and unprotect Simon.

You're aware that Harvey has had major concussion issues and (at least last season) was warned not to fight. Last season there were days where Harvey got headaches during games because the crowd was loud. I really think we have enough ??? in our lineup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-01-2003 11:57 AM

The only name that really is intriguing to me is Chris Therien. Big stay at home defenseman. Still youngish at 31.

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
The only name that really is intriguing to me is Chris Therien. Big stay at home defenseman. Still youngish at 31.

Could be an effective player, but i dont like the 2.6 mill hes gunna make this season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-01-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 26
Could be an effective player, but i dont like the 2.6 mill hes gunna make this season.

Not to be rude but why do you really care what he makes this season?

What concerns me more is how much longer is left on his deal.

Therien strikes me as the only player out there that really fills a need on this team. I would grab him and expose Malakhov.

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 12:09 PM

Quote:

Not to be rude but why do you really care what he makes this season?

What concerns me more is how much longer is left on his deal.

Therien strikes me as the only player out there that really fills a need on this team. I would grab him and expose Malakhov.

well im not an expert on the waiver draft, but dont we have to pay his contract of 2.6 mill?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-01-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

well im not an expert on the waiver draft, but dont we have to pay his contract of 2.6 mill?

Yeah and...

Fire Sather 10-01-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah and...

Kind of a big contract for someone who would most like be our 7th d-man.

Edge 10-01-2003 12:41 PM

you know it been seven years when names you recognize from past bad teams pop up again.

Daigle, Harvey, etc.

I loved Harvey but he got hurtwhen he was here, only now he's a shell of that player now. its a shame.

personally i'd much prefer to hold onto heerema myself.

and simon skating on nhl ice, makes me sad. it's come to this. a guy who had one fight in the preseason and a million excuses just like the man he replaced.

what was the line, oh yeah: "it's only training camp so he cant be too rough with his own teammates".

I didn't realize we bought out the columbus and red wings organization.

Vito Andolini 10-01-2003 12:41 PM

I simply don't understand this Hereema thing, he's obviously a quality prospect with possible good scoring upside. Why pick him up if we aren't going to protect him? Just so we don't lose those awesome players that we left unprotected??? Give me a break, he's better for this team than Simon, Messier, and Bobo, so why not leave them exposed. There's a hell of a lot of a better chance that Hereema will be picked up then any of those three. It baffles me, can anyone explain it?

DLaCouture39 10-01-2003 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
I simply don't understand this Hereema thing, he's obviously a quality prospect with possible good scoring upside. Why pick him up if we aren't going to protect him? Just so we don't lose those awesome players that we left unprotected??? Give me a break, he's better for this team that Simon, Messier, and Bobo, so why not leave them exposed. There's a hell of a lot of a better chance that Hereema will be picked up then any of those three. It baffles me, can anyone explain it?

Yea I agree, I really dont understand why we picked up Hereema if to leave him exposed. It makes no sense. Sather is dumb for doing this.

Bacchus 10-01-2003 12:53 PM

Quote:

As long as Leetch can't play, Therien wouldn't be #7.

I think we could use a good #7 - we have some players who tend to injuries...

MisterUnspoken 10-01-2003 02:15 PM

what about Timmander, I'd rather have him than Purinton even at 1.5 mil. I dont know if there is a rule about selecting within our own division though

Ranger Wolf 10-01-2003 02:48 PM

Former Rangers

Wow, look at all the former Rangers (or prospects) that are unprotected.

Mike Mottau, Rich Brennan, Eddy Campbell, Ted Donato, Joel Bouchard, Eric Boulton, Garrett Bembridge (?), Jamie McLennan, Theoren Fleury, Burke Henry, Sean Pronger, David Oliver, Kevin Miller, John Tripp, Milan Hnilicka, Alexandre Daigle, Tony Tuzzolino, Sylvain Blouin, Joe Hulbig (?), Jody Hull, Peter Smrek, Boyd Kane, Mike Peluso, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro, Mike Wilson, Richard Lintner, Todd Harvey, Janne Laukkanen, Maxim Galanov, Dallas Eakins, Darren Langdon, Chris Nielsen, Trent Whitfield.

Think that says all we need to know about who has been Rangers at one time. Nearly every team left at least one Ranger castoff unprotected.

Trottier 10-01-2003 02:58 PM

Quote:

As an NYI fan, I can assure you that it is a positive sign. The guy who just a few years back was this team's top offensive gun (on a pitiful team), has been surpassed in camp by some promising young players (Papineau, Hunter, etc.). Whether that translates into any success whatsoever for the team once the regular season starts remains to be seen. But Chow is deadwood, a safety net signed in the event none of the kids impressed. Unfortunately, I don't think any team is dumb enough to claim him tomorrow, so Milbury will be left having to buy him out or have an unhappy frequent scratch on his roster. Unlike Mr. Dolan, Mr. Wang doesn't like any of his money mis-spent, so I guess MM will have some explaining to do.

I'd welcome NYI losing Timander in the draft and picking up Heins or even Jakopin. Both are Oil drums on skates, but Timander is a $1M wet noodle on D.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-01-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

I would take Therien with Leetch or Poti over Malakhov, Mironov, Kasparaitis or Purinton.

He fills a need. This team needs a big stay at home crease clearer and he's that kind of a guy.