HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Some interesting names in the waiver draft ... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16001)

H-Bear 10-01-2003 11:50 AM

Some interesting names in the waiver draft ...

There are some interesting names in the waiver draft. Are any of these guys worth picking up (assuming they make it to us)?
  • J-F Damphousse, G
  • Mattias Timander, D
  • Ronald Petrovicky, F
  • Daniel Corso, F
  • Sheldon Keefe, F
  • Ivan Ciernik, F
Any other names that suit your fancy? I personally think it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up Timander and or Damphousse if they are available. Damphousse in particular could be used to shore up the goaltending for the Roadrunners (I know he can't be sent straight to the minors due to some rule in the waiver draft, but I'm not sure how long that is).

goldenchild 10-01-2003 12:04 PM

where are the interesting names? :dunno:

s7ark 10-01-2003 12:04 PM

Daigle is also unprotected...

I know this isn't going to be looked on with much favour but I think the Oil should pick up Daigle.

Yes he has been brutal up til now but he did play in the minors last season (proves he wants to play) and has looked pretty good in the preseason. The Oilers are well know to get the best out of player and lets be honest, everything else aside with Daigle, he is VERY talented.

I think MacT and Simmer could whip him into shape. He has all the skill to be a leader in the league if someone can get his head in shape...

Am I totally on crack here?

Mowzie 10-01-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie
There are some interesting names in the waiver draft. Are any of these guys worth picking up (assuming they make it to us)?
  • J-F Damphousse, G
  • Mattias Timander, D
  • Ronald Petrovicky, F
  • Daniel Corso, F
  • Sheldon Keefe, F
  • Ivan Ciernik, F
Any other names that suit your fancy? I personally think it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up Timander and or Damphousse if they are available. Damphousse in particular could be used to shore up the goaltending for the Roadrunners (I know he can't be sent straight to the minors due to some rule in the waiver draft, but I'm not sure how long that is).

i've always liked ron petrovicky

M00se 10-01-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie
  • J-F Damphousse, G
  • Mattias Timander, D
  • Ronald Petrovicky, F
  • Daniel Corso, F
  • Sheldon Keefe, F
  • Ivan Ciernik, F

I just posted in another thread that I would like to see the Oilers pick up Brian Boucher and Ivan Novoseltsev. Boucher is a much better goalie than Conklin and could even turn out to be a good starter when Salo is gone. He could bridge the gap quite nicly to JDD.

Novoseltsev is only 24 and has some good potential, plus he plays on the right side and we could use some more depth on that side.

Other guys that could be intesting are Trnka and Harvey.

USC Trojans 10-01-2003 12:13 PM

What in the world is Intranuovo and Zhurik still doing here?

USC Trojans 10-01-2003 12:24 PM

btw, looking at the list, here are some people that I'd like the Oilers to take a look at:

Shane Willis
Dan Tkaczuk
Nikos Tselios
Jeff Heerema
Mattias Timander
Patrick Traverse
Ivan Novoseltsev
Mike Mottau

Mr Sakich 10-01-2003 12:27 PM

timander would be a decent guy but he is no upgrade over luoma or bergeron. IMO, the most interesting guy is daniel tkachuk. He was doing pretty well untill he got into gilbert's doghouse. History has shown that gilbert and buttons were very poor evaluators of talent.

IMO, he is worth a flyer.

too bad about valiquette, he had a pretty good camp so I hope nobody else was watching.

Mowzie 10-01-2003 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alzardnp1
btw, looking at the list, here are some people that I'd like the Oilers to take a look at:

Shane Willis
Dan Tkaczuk
Nikos Tselios
Jeff Heerema
Mattias Timander
Patrick Traverse
Ivan Novoseltsev
Mike Mottau

I totally agree. specially Shane Willis and Ivan Novoseltsev.

Mowzie 10-01-2003 12:37 PM

brian savage
todd simpson
reinherd divis
janne laukkannen
mariusz czerkawski
?????

USC Trojans 10-01-2003 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
mariusz czerkawski
?????

:rant:
No! Not Chow again!!!
Hopefully the Oilers will be able to pick up someone like Staios this year.

looooob 10-01-2003 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck
timander would be a decent guy but he is no upgrade over luoma or bergeron. IMO, the most interesting guy is daniel tkachuk. He was doing pretty well untill he got into gilbert's doghouse. History has shown that gilbert and buttons were very poor evaluators of talent.
IMO, he is worth a flyer.

too bad about valiquette, he had a pretty good camp so I hope nobody else was watching.

I beg to disagree in part. Lord knows I'm not going to protect Greg Gilbert at all, and I'm no Button apologist either, but...Tkaczuk looked good until he had multiple concussions. A lot of people thought Button was nuts to include him in the Turek deal, but if anything...Button was right, the kid seems to have lost it. He hasn't done much in St louis camp for a few years, and I think at one point they even loaned him out to the Islanders AHL team because they had no room for him in Worcester.
I"m not saying he's not worth taking a look at, but I'm not sure you can blame his lack of success on Button (grrr of course Flames fans can blame Coates for taking this guy over Samsonov to begin with :rant: )

HotToddy 10-01-2003 01:03 PM

I agree with Novoseltsev he's put up decent numbers on a crappy team.

I also like Brian Helmer, I noticed him during two Canuck/Oiler games a couple of years ago andhe always seemed to be doing good things.

Digger12 10-01-2003 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alzardnp1
What in the world is Intranuovo and Zhurik still doing here?

If Lowe decides to pluck someone off the waiver wire, he has to unprotect someone else. Same reason as why Slats always protected Reijo Ruotsalainen all those years.

Digger12 10-01-2003 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck

I guess we now know why the Oilers gave him so little playing time in the preseason...they're trying to keep this guy under the radar so they can sneak him back down to the Roadrunners. Hope it works.

dawgbone 10-01-2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger12
I guess we now know why the Oilers gave him so little playing time in the preseason...they're trying to keep this guy under the radar so they can sneak him back down to the Roadrunners. Hope it works.

I doubt it... this isn't the first time he has had to clear waivers.

And realistically, no one is going to lose one of their protected players unless they are getting a significant upgrade (if you pluck a player, you have to expose one).

Valiquette is a good goalie, and probably a starter on any farm team, but I don't think he is enough of an upgrade as a backup goalie on anyone's team to make them want to pick him, and unprotect someone else.

dawgbone 10-01-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

If Lowe decides to pluck someone off the waiver wire, he has to unprotect someone else. Same reason as why Slats always protected Reijo Ruotsalainen all those years.

I thought he always left him unprotected...

I don't remember anymore...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Old age and work weakening brain....

itsmagic 10-01-2003 01:35 PM

Since the Oilers pick (I think) 31st, I can't imagine that there would be anyone of interest left at that point. Particularly someone better than a player they would have to drop from their protected list.

IceDragoon 10-01-2003 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
I thought he always left him unprotected...

I don't remember anymore...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Old age and work weakening brain....

That explains a lot. ;)

dawgbone 10-01-2003 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
That explains a lot. ;)

Owww... that shovel hurts...

(in reference to the dig)

O.T. 10-01-2003 01:44 PM

Quote:

Why not protect Wright instead of Ralph Int. whats the difference between droping Wright from the protected list if we pick somebody up or drop Ralph? At least this way if we don't pick someone up Wright is protected the whole time.

There is no point to unprotect Wright and protect Ralph, just so that if we pick a player up we could drop Ralph to the unprotected list. :dunno:

There has to be something else to it.

OilDrop37 10-01-2003 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmagic
Since the Oilers pick (I think) 31st, I can't imagine that there would be anyone of interest left at that point. Particularly someone better than a player they would have to drop from their protected list.

Always hard to second-guess these things, this tells me that the Oilers have their eye on someone, who, like you said, will probably be gone by the 31st pick.

OilDrop37 10-01-2003 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.T.
Why not protect Wright instead of Ralph Int. whats the difference between droping Wright from the protected list if we pick somebody up or drop Ralph? At least this way if we don't pick someone up Wright is protected the whole time.

There is no point to unprotect Wright and protect Ralph, just so that if we pick a player up we could drop Ralph to the unprotected list. :dunno:

There has to be something else to it.

I'm not positive but I think if Wright goes through the waiver draft unclaimed, he can be sent to Toronto without having to clear again. So the line of thinking would possibly be that he has a better chance to clear waivers now, then he would say in a month from now when injuries may have possibly forced someone's hand.

Or, maybe he's just crappy enough that the Oilers don't give 2 whoots about keeping him or not.

O.T. 10-01-2003 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilDrop89
I'm not positive but I think if Wright goes through the waiver draft unclaimed, he can be sent to Toronto without having to clear again. So the line of thinking would possibly be that he has a better chance to clear waivers now, then he would say in a month from now when injuries may have possibly forced someone's hand.

Or, maybe he's just crappy enough that the Oilers don't give 2 whoots about keeping him or not.

I think your first guess makes the most sense. I never even thought about that.