HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Half empty or half full (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1601163)

BigFatCat999 02-08-2014 03:23 PM

Half empty or half full

Wake up today and did my usual study of the standings. The Preds are the 6th worst team in the NHL. Which is better than last year when they were the 4th worst team in the NHL. But they are only 4 PTs from a playoff spot. Weird but growingly common position for salary cap teams in sports. Sometimes the bell curve sways one way or another but it's common in sports. My question is this: should this team trade Legwand and/or Cullen to drop in the standings or trade assets to move up?

The question complicating this is how close is Rinne to coming back? If he's ready after the Olympic break I'm in the boat of trading Milwaukee talent and Hutton for forward help. If the Preds have to play another 2-3weeks without Rinne then sell

PredsHabs 02-08-2014 03:51 PM

I say this is the year to sell no matter what. Trade whoever we can for the best possible return. Rinne or not we cannot do much damage even if we make the playoffs. I think we are in rebuild mode anyways. Legwand,Fisher,and Cullen will all be gone after next year if Fisher retires like being rumored and if we move Legwand. We need offensive top six pieces what we have to offer will not get you a piece like that unless they are a UFA.

Armourboy 02-08-2014 03:55 PM

I'm probably making any trades I want to whether we are in or not, simply because I don't see us doing anything if we make it anyways. Might as well take a few more shots in the dark or see if you can maybe grab some young talent.

Without Rinne we probably don't get in, and we definitely don't make a run in the playoffs. If he does come back he could stand on his head and we could steal enough games to maybe make it a round or two but even I think thats wishful thinking.

Milwaukee isn't exactly full of awesome talent just waiting which is one reason I would.

PredsV82 02-08-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 79615645)
Wake up today and did my usual study of the standings. The Preds are the 6th worst team in the NHL. Which is better than last year when they were the 4th worst team in the NHL. But they are only 4 PTs from a playoff spot. Weird but growingly common position for salary cap teams in sports. Sometimes the bell curve sways one way or another but it's common in sports. My question is this: should this team trade Legwand and/or Cullen to drop in the standings or trade assets to move up?

The question complicating this is how close is Rinne to coming back? If he's ready after the Olympic break I'm in the boat of trading Milwaukee talent and Hutton for forward help. If the Preds have to play another 2-3weeks without Rinne then sell

we should never, ever, trade players for the purpose of dropping in the standings.

We should trade players when it is the best thing to do for the club, period.

I don't see us giving uo any significant assets to make a run for the final wild card slotů we either make it with what we have or we don't.

If a decision has been made that Legwand is not part of the future of this team after this season, then we should try to trade him now, regardless of what it does for our chances of making the playoffs this season.

Jonesey 02-08-2014 07:18 PM

My plan would be see who is willing to pay what for our vets (Legwand, Stalberg, Cullen in that order) and go from there. If we aren't getting a quality return, we simply press forward with what we have.

In no shape or form do I want to see us move or aquire any defenseman.

token grinder 02-10-2014 12:18 AM

I think the fact both Moser and Sisson held their own the past couple weeks and did not embarrass themselves have made Cullen 100% expendable and I would be shocked if he is here long after the break.

I have gone into it before, but I try and get Lewgwand to sign a 2-3 year deal at 4.5 or give him a longevity bump of a 4.75 avg and give him 5 and 4.5 the next two years. We have no number one center, but the prospect of Dealing Legwand, and then next year fisher retiring scares me. In 2 years Watson, Wilson, Spaling, and Sissons I guess would be our 4 centers. I have no faith in signing a top 6 one. I think you either let Wilson, Watson, or Sissons grow into a 3rd line center next year, and if their play bumbs fish or legwand down, so be it. Can't put the cart before the horse.

I keep Stalberg. I don't now why, but the past few games, in liited minutes, he has looked better to me. I think as we get more desperate for points you see him creep up on Fishers line with Hornquist giving that unit something it doesn't have-Speed, and Nystrom to go into his bottom home.

I keep all the defense. This group can be good together for a long long time.

I also think Pekka will have a couple of rough starts and settle in and act like he never was gone, and I also think Hutton wll be good on the b2b without having the pressure of being a number 1 and get us an unexpected win or 4 down the stretch

jwhouk 02-10-2014 09:40 AM

WAY more than half empty. We're not even at a quarter tank.

Dave is a killer 02-10-2014 10:04 AM

I'm with Randolph and Mortimer Duke

RaiderDoug 02-10-2014 11:09 AM

Sell Sell Sell.

This team isn't that far away, but the pieces it needs are not easy to acquire. We need cap room to make a big move for a forward, and we need draft picks to allow us to maneuver to try and get a difference maker in the draft.

Leggy should return a piece that can be counted on to contribute to the future.

If we can offload any of the mistakes from last July (Stalberg, Cullen) - even better.

Even with Rinne back and the best case scenario - we eek into the 7th-8th spot and get a first round match up with Anaheim, StL, or Chicago. Does anyone think we're a Pekka Rinne away from beating those teams in a 7 game series?

Drake744 02-10-2014 01:13 PM

Obviously no one thinks we'll do anything if we make the playoffs. No fan base does in February unless they're already an elite team. That's not the point. The point is what does the front office think about it, and I'd really like to know how they're viewing Rinne. Are we a Pekka Rinne away from making a run in the playoffs? Unlikely, but who really knows? I don't personally "want" to trade Leggy, but I have a feeling a team is going to make some pretty hard offers to turn down to get him. For years I've been saying that, ideally, I want us to be a deep enough team where he's a good 3rd line center on a consistent basis. I could absolutely see a good team seeing him in that way and doing whatever it takes to get him.

I'm not sitting here and saying "sell, sell, sell" but I do think we have a big piece to a good team's puzzle, and he's worn 11 on his sweater in Nashville for 15 years. The sentimental part of me doesn't want to trade him and wants him to stay here for his whole career, but at a certain point it's just stupid to turn down great offers for him.

...........unless the front office doesn't view us as being in a rebuild.

ILikeItILoveIt 02-12-2014 02:47 PM

Legwand has outplayed Cullen by a mile and Fisher by a little. Fisher is likely to retire after next year. Cullen is already 37 so his days are numbers. Legs is 33. Sign him for 4 years at 3 mil a year. He's versatile and durable. He's the perfect #3 center on a good team.

I'm sure Poile is peddling Legs and others. Unless we can get a #1 pick or a younger player with significant upside like Forsberg, sign Legwand. We will be a significantly worse team without David. He wants to be here and he's a legacy.

If there is a market for Goose and/or Cullen, move them. Too much money for too little output.

Humor me and play Stalberg with Wilson and Smith for the remaining 23 games, and give Stalberg PP time. Go all in and lets see what we get. The guy has speed to burn and has been humpin' it lately. He's had a weird season but I still think he's a Top 6 forward on this team.

Don't trade D-men, especially Ellis. People seem to discount him because of his size. He's the smartest D-man we have and has a nice touch. He can be Kimmo-like. Remember, Kimmo was considered small too.

Play Pekka in Mlwke toward the end of Feb so he can play back into shape. Then have him play 18 of the last 23.

Play Sissons on a scoring line. NOT WITH GOOSE AND CLUNE. How can we ever judge our young offensive talent if we match them with no-O-talent grinders.

JR303 02-12-2014 03:05 PM

You know I don't know why everyone wants to trade Legwand. He has been, for a long time now, in my opinion, or most reliable forward. Not flashy, just scores at a decent clip, responsible in his own zone and a stand-up guy. Only knock on him from me is that the last 2 seasons he's decided that he can pass cross-ice through a couple of defenders and turned the puck over way too much. Other than that, don't see any reason we would need to trade him.

I agree about letting the offensive guys play more wide open. I think when you've got the D-corps we have, you should have some offensive wiggle room, but we do play it way too close to the vest. I'd like to see the defense given the ability to be a little more proactive (especially with a healthy Rinne) and give the forwards a bit more leash to put pressure on our opponent. The ultra-conservative D only works if you use that as a foundation for development, not a gameplan. In game-time situations, you want that assertiveness that it seems to neglect.

I've always thought that playing the kids on the 4th line is silly, but the only caveat is that those lines usually see the 2nd/3rd defensive pairings from the other team. You'd like to think that a good forward can create chances against those guys, regardless of his linemates.

All just my opinion, felt like typing. We need the NHL back soon.