HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Waiver Draft List (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16016)

Guest 10-01-2003 01:27 PM

Waiver Draft List

Source
Quote:

Phoenix Coyotes

Frank Banham, F; Chris Ferraro, F; Peter Ferraro, F; Bryan Helmer, D; Brian
Savage, F; Gary Shuchuk, F; Todd Simpson, D; Nikos Tselios, D; Mike Wilson,
D; Brian Boucher, G; Jean-Marc Pelletier, G.
The big guys exposed were Todd Simpson, Brian Boucher, and Brian Savage. I'm somewhat surprised by them.

I wouldn't mind claiming Bednar for some offensive help. But 2 teams apparently have already given up on him.

Guest 10-01-2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Source

The big guys exposed were Todd Simpson, Brian Boucher, and Brian Savage. I'm somewhat surprised by them.

I wouldn't mind claiming Bednar for some offensive help. But 2 teams apparently have already given up on him.

I also expect us to lose Boucher & Simpson.

steveburfoot 10-01-2003 02:16 PM

I agree with that Assesment, I would have thought the caps or leafs will go for Todd, I am not sure where Bouch will go, but I think he will.
Which teams could use him?
I am a little hazy on who could use a $2m back up/starter

Hordichuk_24 10-01-2003 02:18 PM

The Sabres will also be after Todd.

steveburfoot 10-01-2003 02:19 PM

Just read the Trade rumours board, and apparently the Preds would have almost definately swiped Biek if he was exposed, maybe the $2m puts Bouch out of the league of teams looking for a backup

XX 10-01-2003 02:37 PM

Perhaps the Avs?

Abby Boosh tandem?

Hordichuk_24 10-01-2003 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XavierX
Perhaps the Avs?

Abby Boosh tandem?

At Boucher's price, they might be better off going after a starer in Joseph.

Matzel 10-01-2003 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
At Boucher's price, they might be better off going after a starer in Joseph.

Good point!

Dancin' Gabe rules! :bow:

ulf 10-01-2003 04:59 PM

joseph may re-write his contract if claimed by the avs.at 8 mill he isn't going anywhere.

i can't see boucher being claimed as he has failed to show #1 status and his contract is too lrge for back-up duties at this time of year.

pelltier is my greater fear of losing as his absence means zac in the a with burke and bouch in the bigs.[contract decision not merit]

roadrunner 10-01-2003 09:56 PM

The Rangers would do well to snag Boosh..they have the money.

_Del_ 10-02-2003 12:07 AM

Quote:

The Sabres will also be after Todd.

I'd guess the Caps would take a gander assuming he lasts that far... Seems inane to me to expose Simpson and not Hulse...

Hordichuk_24 10-02-2003 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Del_
I'd guess the Caps would take a gander assuming he lasts that far... Seems inane to me to expose Simpson and not Hulse...

Trust me. I hear ya. :mad:

Hordichuk_24 10-02-2003 01:36 AM

“They are willing to take the risk that I'll be lost. That hurts your pride, it hurts that you're not wanted,'' Simpson said. “They're telling me they want me and they don't think I'll get picked up. But the bottom line is 18 other guys got protected and I didn't. It's a bit of a slap in the face.''

A quote from Simpson out of the paper. Even if he doesn't get taken (which is unlikely) it'll never be the same as it was before. So it would probably be better off if he does get taken unfortunately...:rant:

eye 10-02-2003 07:00 AM

Quote:

“They are willing to take the risk that I'll be lost. That hurts your pride, it hurts that you're not wanted,'' Simpson said. “They're telling me they want me and they don't think I'll get picked up. But the bottom line is 18 other guys got protected and I didn't. It's a bit of a slap in the face.''

A quote from Simpson out of the paper. Even if he doesn't get taken (which is unlikely) it'll never be the same as it was before. So it would probably be better off if he does get taken unfortunately...:rant:

I agree with you Hordy. I read the other day that BF wants a big physical defensive team and if Simpson is moved many of the tall players will play small. It's not the size of the player it's the size of the heart that matters and Todd has the biggest heart on this roster. I'd keep him over 4 of the other defensemen on this team and will leave the backend with zero leadership IMO. A veteran put on waivers is always considered a slap in the face and a player's pride takes a hit. Todd will be picked up but I doubt Boosh will be picked up, leaving us with 3 goaltenders. If we keep 3 that means we only have space for 1 extra F and 1 extra D. The other option is to put Bierk in Springfield on his one way NHL contract with Pelletier and move Lenny to the ECHL with Dickie until a deal can be worked out. I would like to see the Yotes try to move Boosh and Savage and eat half their salary to get it done. I'd rather save half of what they make than keep them on the team just because of their contracts.

Dancing Chicken 10-02-2003 08:17 AM

What was our GM thinking.. Well lets hope for someone else to fill the role as the Yotes heart..

The sad part is Landon is the only one who can come to mind, maybe Ference.. For those of you who say Doan, he takes too many nights off.. Simpson never did that..

Guest 10-02-2003 08:27 AM

And to top it off, we protected guys like Hulse, Cleary, Wilson, Nazarov, who would have been good sacrificial lambs to pickup a player in the waiver draft. Only this is, we aren't adding anyone according to the paper because of salary reasons. At this point I think the damage has been done for Simpson, and if he is not taken, we have to manage to deal him this season with one of our goalies. I would have liked to see us add a defenseman or forward.

Kimahri 10-02-2003 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Chicken
What was our GM thinking.. Well lets hope for someone else to fill the role as the Yotes heart..

The sad part is Landon is the only one who can come to mind, maybe Ference.. For those of you who say Doan, he takes too many nights off.. Simpson never did that..

I really dont think that Simpson was the 'heart' of the Yotes. But I think that Nash and Sillinger can bring a lot of energy and leadership to the team. They can be that 'spark plug' that can motivate the guys to play hard, especially Nash.

Hordichuk_24 10-02-2003 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eye
I agree with you Hordy. I read the other day that BF wants a big physical defensive team and if Simpson is moved many of the tall players will play small. It's not the size of the player it's the size of the heart that matters and Todd has the biggest heart on this roster. I'd keep him over 4 of the other defensemen on this team and will leave the backend with zero leadership IMO. A veteran put on waivers is always considered a slap in the face and a player's pride takes a hit. Todd will be picked up but I doubt Boosh will be picked up, leaving us with 3 goaltenders. If we keep 3 that means we only have space for 1 extra F and 1 extra D. The other option is to put Bierk in Springfield on his one way NHL contract with Pelletier and move Lenny to the ECHL with Dickie until a deal can be worked out. I would like to see the Yotes try to move Boosh and Savage and eat half their salary to get it done. I'd rather save half of what they make than keep them on the team just because of their contracts.

Totally agree with you. Nobody gives Todd half the respect he deserves. That being said, I hope he is moved. Go play where someone actually respects you.

Remember how I said watch Buffalo go after him?? Well, I have a good friend in Buffalo that said the Sabres had no plans on taking anyone in the waiver draft. Until Simpson became available. There are a lot of teams that would really like a player like Todd. He will be taken. Our loss.

Dancing Chicken 10-02-2003 05:50 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of teams that would really like a player like Todd. He will be taken. Our loss.

I totally agree, hge will be taken in the first round :rant:

roadrunner 10-02-2003 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Chicken
I totally agree, hge will be taken in the first round :rant:

This sucks! I sure hope Ference and Spiller will bring the snarl to our slot. So now it's Hulse being counted on for the vet leadership? Teppo, Markov, and now probably Simpson are gone...jeesh! Talk about a blueline makeover!

Guess we'll all know in about 10-11 hours.

Guest 10-03-2003 06:01 AM

If Simpson is not taken in the first round, he most definitely will be gone the second round when LA gets a chance to select him. LA and SJ can't take him in the first round because we are in their division. Doesn't stop Buffalo from taking him though. I don't think he'll last to the playoff teams like Washington or Toronto.

CoyoteBaloney 10-04-2003 12:36 AM

It is unfortunate to lose any player because of money, but Simpson leaving is not all bad. He is a very undisciplined player who takes way too many penalties. The Coyotes PK is not very good. With Simpson gone the PK wont be used as much. The team wont have to worry about allowing those goals.

I said that Simpson was really nothing more than a rotated 5th, 6th and 7th dman for the Coyotes this year and it seeams I was right.

eye 10-04-2003 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
It is unfortunate to lose any player because of money, but Simpson leaving is not all bad. He is a very undisciplined player who takes way too many penalties. The Coyotes PK is not very good. With Simpson gone the PK wont be used as much. The team wont have to worry about allowing those goals.

I said that Simpson was really nothing more than a rotated 5th, 6th and 7th dman for the Coyotes this year and it seeams I was right.

Not to start another flame fest CT but just because he was lost on waiver doesn't mean you were right. I thought you have been saying all summer that our pk was going to be much improved with the quality fwds. and C's that we now have, especially with Burke in net. I agree with Hordy though, Todd was the only D we had with leadership qualities. I don't see Mara or any of the others for that matter having those qualities. Our Yotes won't be as tuff and may be intimidated at times, then we will see if we regret this move or not.

CoyoteBaloney 10-04-2003 12:51 PM

So are you saying that Simpson being expose does not prove that Simpson was not a significant part of the Coyotes plans?

Yes, the team's PK unit will be improved. But why continually put that theory to the test with Simpsons way to many stupid penalties as was last year with Hordichuk and Simpson on the ice at the same time?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didint the Coyotes have the most fighting majors in the NHL last season ... their worst season since moving to Phoenix?

Hordichuk_24 10-04-2003 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
So are you saying that Simpson being expose does not prove that Simpson was not a significant part of the Coyotes plans?

Yes, the team's PK unit will be improved. But why continually put that theory to the test with Simpsons way to many stupid penalties as was last year with Hordichuk and Simpson on the ice at the same time?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didint the Coyotes have the most fighting majors in the NHL last season ... their worst season since moving to Phoenix?

Columbus had the most fighting majors in the NHL last season. Phoenix had the second most with 70.

I don't think it was the penalties that lost Simpson his job. It was the $1.5 million he was making. And knowing that they have a young guy like Spiller that costs less and can potentially play a similar game.