HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can the Flyers Contend With This Roster? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1601939)

BillyShoe1721 02-09-2014 06:16 PM

Can the Flyers Contend With This Roster?

Quote:

In the past four games, the Flyers have defeated the fifth, sixth, and eleventh best teams in the NHL in terms of points. They have played some of their most complete hockey en route to beating the Kings, Sharks, and Avalanche by a combined score of 10-3. They looked like the team that won ten home games in a row from November 9th to January 8th.

Since Ray Emery sent a message to his team in the form of beating Braden Holtby to a pulp, the team has gone 26-14-6. Claude Giroux looks like the player of old, Jakub Voracek has cemented himself as a legitimate first line option alongside Giroux, and Wayne Simmonds has emerged as one of the best power forwards in the league.
http://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-doomed-mediocrity/

GKJ 02-09-2014 06:18 PM

Ray Emery jumping Holtby spurred the team on to a run? Not the team meeting they had a week later after no-showing against the Devils at home?

GoneFullHextall 02-09-2014 06:27 PM

they have looked pretty good since Timonen tore the team a new one after getting embarrassed by the Bruins at home.
I am not putting anything into what Emery did in playing a part to turn the season around. it was a pure coincidence. Pretty sure the schedule being pretty soft after that game played more of a part.
I still question on whether this team can hold up against teams with speed. especially in a playoff series.

usahockey22flyers 02-09-2014 06:34 PM

I personally think they need to add a piece or two to really be a contender.

But... Is it even worth trading valuable young assets?

BernieParent 02-09-2014 06:43 PM

Like the article says, the Flyers need to add a high-end PMD who isn't awful defensively.

Striiker 02-09-2014 06:47 PM

I think most would disagree with me, but I say yes. Obviously adding a #1D or 1st line sniper would greatly improve their chances, but that doesn't mean they have no chance right now. If they can get into the playoffs I think they have a decent chance, especially since we have a few players who are monsters in the playoffs, like Giroux.

It all depends on how they play, they've shown that they can be anywhere in between great and horrible, they've beaten some of the best teams in the league but they've also been beaten pretty badly. If they play the way they have for the least 5 games I think they have a fair chance against any team in the league. We already know they can beat the Pens and we'll see how they do against the Bruins next time they play, but they've beaten them multiple times the past few seasons with a worse roster than they have right now. The Flyers offense can keep up with any team in the league, so it really depends on how the defense and goaltending are. If Mason plays the way we know he can and the defense plays like they have the ability to, they have a good team, but if one of the two decide to play like **** then they're in trouble.

zarley zelepukin 02-09-2014 06:48 PM

To answer the title of the thread, no. I don't believe this roster can contend for a Cup. As the article notes, there's a need on the blueline. We also need further development from the forward group imo.

kelmitchell 02-09-2014 06:58 PM

can they be a playoff team yes, cup winning team god no

BernieParent 02-09-2014 07:00 PM

Beyond the defensive deficiencies, the Flyers are not deep enough to play the war of attrition that is the SC playoffs. I think they could win their first series, but would have to be clicking on all cylinders to get beyond the second round.

Beyond the defensive deficiencies, they have a good balanced attack in the top 9, but the two-way game is suspect, still way too many unnecessary penalties taken, and the fourth line can't be counted on to eat minutes efficiently.

Defensively, their most reliable defender will be putting his almost 39-year-old body through rigours of the Olympics.

LegionOfDoom91 02-09-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 79678139)
Beyond the defensive deficiencies, the Flyers are not deep enough to play the war of attrition that is the SC playoffs. I think they could win their first series, but would have to be clicking on all cylinders to get beyond the second round.

Beyond the defensive deficiencies, they have a good balanced attack in the top 9, but the two-way game is suspect, still way too many unnecessary penalties taken, and the fourth line can't be counted on to eat minutes efficiently.

Defensively, their most reliable defender will be putting his almost 39-year-old body through rigours of the Olympics.

I don't even want to think about the blueline next year. It's going to be ugly & even more so (if that's even possible) if Coburn reverts back to a full time idiot. Hopefully there's a pleasant surprise on the horizon for next year though I'm not getting my hopes up.

FlyersFan61290 02-09-2014 07:29 PM

Playoff team, not contenders. Still missing a couple pieces and some experience for the young guys.

Beef Invictus 02-09-2014 07:40 PM

They need to add some parts, but without subtracting. It's going to take a while.

The Couturier Effect 02-09-2014 08:09 PM

No.

But they're on the right track. Hopefully one or two of Ghost/Morin/Hagg/Alt can develop into the defenders the Flyers are looking for. A couple of good drafts and a few solid/safe free agent signings and I think they can be contenders in a few years or so. They just gotta be patient.

EDIT:
@tpanotchCSN
BTW: talked to an NHL scout yesterday. He says Morin is going to be a monster No. 1 d-man someday. Great news for the Flyers

Start planning the parade boys. Panotch is never wrong!

:sarcasm:

The Dream 02-09-2014 08:13 PM

If everything goes perfectly I could see us getting through a couple rounds in the playoffs and maybe giving a team like Boston a scare, but I can't see us beating any of those western 'giants' (chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim) in a 7 game series.

If we were to add 2 solid defenseman (top-4 quality minimum) I would place us in that contender area. Not favorites but a good team.

LegionOfDoom91 02-09-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 79680495)
@tpanotchCSN
BTW: talked to an NHL scout yesterday. He says Morin is going to be a monster No. 1 d-man someday. Great news for the Flyers

By scout he means some guy on the Internet.

I feel bad for this kid, Timmy & the rest of the clowns are setting him up to tear him down.

The Couturier Effect 02-09-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 79680835)
By scout he means some guy on the Internet.:laugh:

Or one of the voices in his head.

Beef Invictus 02-09-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 79680495)
No.

But they're on the right track. Hopefully one or two of Ghost/Morin/Hagg/Alt can develop into the defenders the Flyers are looking for. A couple of good drafts and a few solid/safe free agent signings and I think they can be contenders in a few years or so. They just gotta be patient.

EDIT:
@tpanotchCSN

Start planning the parade boys. Panotch is never wrong!

:sarcasm:

That tweet is the most disheartening thing possible.

Beef Invictus 02-09-2014 08:56 PM

Oh hey, speak of the devil. HF Bot has something on Morin:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post79596073

Garbage Goal 02-09-2014 08:59 PM

It's not even certain we'll make the playoffs yet so, no.

In my mind the word "contender" is pretty much synonymous with "favorites". Otherwise then any playoff team is a contender really which seems kind of pointless to talk about.

Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen, but very much most of the time you have to be a top team in the regular season to be a favorite. Mason is an unknown still with his past history taken into account along with his play for most of December and January. If Mason falters we don't really have a real backup plan for that. Our backup plans would be Ray Emery and Cal Heeter.

We also have a really ugly looking D. It would look a lot better if Gustafsson didn't get mysteriously scratched constantly it seems, but there's only one or two guys out of the entire D that could be considered competent two-way guys at any time. Which is bad.

Our scoring prowess is really good, but we have literally almost zero prospect depth for call-ups. We have guys like McGinn and Holmstrom to fill minor roles then there's basically Laughton and that's it. So if our team gets hit hard by injuries, which not only hasn't happened this season but also happens to every team in the playoffs, we don't have the farm depth to cover for that.

That's my honest assessment. If Mason is the real deal we're not far off from being a contender in all honesty. Have to wait and see how Mason plus Berube turn out, but if they work out well the only thing that needs addressing is the D and dumping some dead weight at forward like Lecavalier and Downie.

FlyingPhilly 02-09-2014 09:05 PM

No. The defense is too bad for a chance of contending for the Cup.

lancer247 02-09-2014 09:14 PM

If Chara, Keith, Doughty, and Getzlaf take a stick to the eye like Pronger did and the Pens don't add Miller.

Seriously, if they could add a solid two way d man and another natural scorer without subtractingfrom the current roster aside from a guy like Downie or Mez.

Would the Nucks consider moving Bieksa if they keep falling?

Add a guy like Gaborik or Boyes up front and/or Bieksa, Weaver or Wideman.
They aren't my first choices but solid adds without giving up high end assets.

Gaborik Giroux Voracek
Schenn Vinny Simmonds
Hartnell Coots Read
Rafl Hall Rinaldo

Kimono Coburn
Streit Bieksa
Gus Schenn/Grossmann

Yukon Cornelius 02-09-2014 09:24 PM

I still think we're 1-2 years away. That being said however, this team is built for the Playoffs.

Mason is clearly capable of getting hot.

Hartnell & Simmonds are the twin towers that, come a physical 7
game series, are ridiculously hard to play against or match up against.

Irrespective of what you think, the Flyers have depth at the D position and again, come playoff time, that is unquantifiable.

Couturier is blossoming into the 2 way Center we all hoped. Having an asset like him to shut down an opponent's top line could be the difference in a tight series.

The Flyers offensive depth is ridiculously flying under the radar. They will be a tough team to match up against.

Philly is currently a top 10 team in both special teams category and frankly I think the PP will be in top 5 by the end of the Year.

Can we contend with the Sharks and Hawks of the league? I'm not sure but this team can certainly do some damage in the East.

Sniped 02-09-2014 09:24 PM

If the Flyers get the right matchups I guess anything is possible, but if you're relying on matchups to get you to the cup, its pretty clear the Flyers aren't contenders.

The defense is the only thing holding this team back, but the only true fix to that is to be patient with our prospects. I don't foresee an immediate trade that will make this team contenders all of a sudden. Need that #1 D-man or a 1-2 PMD with top pairing upside.

Appleyard 02-09-2014 09:46 PM

I think the semi-realistic best case scenario is they could get to conference finals in two scenarios. (or a mixture of both, say scenario 1 for 5 games and scenario 2 for 7... or the other way around.)

1. The forwards go on a 3.5-4GPG ~10-12 game streak, which they have done a few times this year. (there are probably 8-10 teams in the NHL capable, Flyers are one of them.)

Last 44 they have 137 goals... 3.12 per game. So very doable... if hard.

2. They score at a similar rate as they have overall in the last three years (2.9 GPG) and Mason rocks a .920-.925 for ~10-12 games.

As he did for a ~20 game stretch at the start of the year, and has had ~3 5-7 game stretches of higher.

That kind of 'luck' scenario (well, not really luck but a statistical extreme within a realistic range...) would not ride out 3 series though, I just cannot imagine it.

There is really no other way... as the D is so poor they could not be relied on to have a 3 game good stretch in easy circumstances.

Mr Black 02-09-2014 09:50 PM

Keep drafting well, develop the prospects and young guys, it will be our time to be true contenders soon.