HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Could Tennessee every host the Winter Olympics (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1603089)

Gnashville 02-11-2014 05:55 PM

Could Tennessee every host the Winter Olympics

Since the Weather in Sochi is much warmer than here, what does everyone think about TN as a Winter Olympic site?

We have the mountains for skiing and other downhill events. or is just too costly.

BigFatCat999 02-11-2014 06:20 PM

Well there are a couple of sites that are south of Nashville that have hosted the Olympics. SLC and Squaw Valley. I could see it work but the fact is this, it would be an epic **** ton of money that can be spent elsewhere.

But the Olympic flame at the Parthenon...

Nitrous Mafia 02-11-2014 07:13 PM

absolutely not

dulzhok 02-11-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 79763453)
Well there are a couple of sites that are south of Nashville that have hosted the Olympics. SLC and Squaw Valley. I could see it work but the fact is this, it would be an epic **** ton of money that can be spent elsewhere.

SLC is south of Nashville??

No way can Nashville get the winter Olympics. Where are they going to ski? Gatlinburg?

Russia was stretch, in many ways actually. But Nashville is completely out of the question.

Gnashville 02-11-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 79766311)

No way can Nashville get the winter Olympics. Where are they going to ski? Gatlinburg?

Russia was stretch, in many ways actually. But Nashville is completely out of the question.

SLC and Squaw Valley are certainly not South of TN, but it is much colder here than Sochi or Vancouver has been recently (neither have been below freezing much this month)

I did not say Nashville but Tennessee in general, yes Gatlinburg would be the skiing venue.
I'm just asking the question if TN could host, I highly doubt there would be any push to bribe er bid ;) for the Olympics.

BigFatCat999 02-11-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 79766311)

40°45′0″N Salt Lake City

36°10′00″N Nashville, TN

Nitrous Mafia 02-11-2014 08:29 PM

the olympics are not worth the financial burden.

montreal just finished paying off the debt from the '76 olympics.

MarkMM 02-11-2014 08:30 PM

Coming from Vancouver I should point out that the Olympics here were actually split between Vancouver and Whistler, about an hour's drive away, and up the Sea-to-Sky highway. Anything that needed snow or, you know, cold weather was done in Whistler, everything else that could be done in-doors (hockey, skating, curling, etc) was done in Vancouver.

Even then, it was a constant worry that it wouldn't be cold enough, iirc it didn't snow at all in Vancouver during the Olympics but it did snow in Whistler...still wasn't enough and they had to use artificial snow-makers just so the skiers weren't barreling down on raw soil and dirt, lol.

I wouldn't rule out a Tennessee Olympics, but it's getting expensive enough to wonder if it's worth it. No complaints from me for Vancouver, but being in the big city here in BC a lot of the infrastructure was in place anyway, and most of what was built will continue to be useful. If the Olympics is in Nashville then maybe the same argument will hold, if you hold it in a smaller town, not sure what Gatlinburg is, then it might be another Sochi, a huge waste of money.

Predsboro 02-12-2014 12:07 AM

No ... no ... just no ...

Have you ever been skiing in Gatlinburg? The resort is TINY ... runs are short ... nowhere near the vertical drop and length needed for Downhill, Slalom, Giant Slalom. I ski Colorado often ... Gatlinburg is like bunny slopes in comparison.

Then there's the $$$$$

No ...

ETA:

4 lifts
longest run 4400 feet
largest vertical 556 feet

electricjib 02-12-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnashville (Post 79762455)
Since the Weather in Sochi is much warmer than here, what does everyone think about TN as a Winter Olympic site?

We have the mountains for skiing and other downhill events. or is just too costly.

No, not even close. You don't have anything close to mountains for real competitive skiing. The standards for vert and pitch even in Sochi are longer and steeper than those used in SLC. CO, CA, WA and OR would be most likely to be on this list. Likely due to the proximity of REAL mountains to cities.

Omitting UT since it's been hosted there already. Awhile back it was rumored that CO was seeking a bid.

electricjib 02-12-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 79763453)

But the Olympic flame at the Parthenon...

Because they have real mountains, and annual snowfall of 400 plus inches a year. Does Tennessee have one ski slope with more than 1 mountain with a vertical pitch of over 2000 vertical feet? Or a 35-50 degree pitch?

PredsV82 02-12-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 79767377)
40°45′0″N Salt Lake City

36°10′00″N Nashville, TN

um, the higher the latitude number, the farther north… but that isn't the point anyway. SLC and Squaw valley have mountains…. Knoxville might be able to pull it off… but there isn't enough infrastructure.. would cost billions to build the necessary facilities and then after the olympics are over they would be hard pressed to generate any revenue

BigFatCat999 02-12-2014 07:22 AM

OH I agree it's not worth it. The IOC is ultra expensive and the olympics is a boondoggle of all boondoggles. Summer would be a better fit but the question was posed could TN host a Winter Olympics. I'm in the house of no.

Drake744 02-12-2014 08:32 AM

We don't have anything close to resembling Olympic-style mountains in this area. I wouldn't think.

A better US comparison to Sochi is having the Winter Olympics in Southern California and having the mountain events at Big Bear, like Vancouver did with Whistler.

triggrman 02-12-2014 08:58 AM

No.

Summer, yes, but we don't need that burden.

WartracePred 02-12-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 79777463)
um, the higher the latitude number, the farther north… but that isn't the point anyway. SLC and Squaw valley have mountains…. Knoxville might be able to pull it off… but there isn't enough infrastructure.. would cost billions to build the necessary facilities and then after the olympics are over they would be hard pressed to generate any revenue

Infrastructure to pull off something like a Worlds Fair? Nope, I guess not.

triggrman 02-12-2014 12:56 PM

Is the World's Fair still around?

kypredsfan 02-12-2014 01:02 PM

No. No real mountains anywhere around.

WartracePred 02-12-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 79793911)

No idea. But sleepy little Knoxville pulled it off in 1982. Wasn't the Parthenon built for the World's Fair in Nashville?

triggrman 02-12-2014 02:05 PM

No. It was the centennial celebration.

AintLifeGrand 02-12-2014 02:32 PM

The only thing I care about more than the Preds is Skiing..so allow me to weigh in.

- The Great Smoky Mtns (Laconte)and Blue Ridge in W. Carolina have several Mtns with over 4,000 vertical. In fact, Mt. Mitchell is the tallest mountain East of the Mississippi.

- The snowiest part of the Blue Ridge is around Roan Mtn in W. NC and they get maybe ~120 inches of natural snow in a good year.

- A legit DH course would take over 3,000 Vert , which would render any MTN in the SE unable to support any kind of stable snow pack

- If the Blue Ridge /Smoky Mtns had about 2,000 more vertical the South East would have very similar alpine conditions to the area around Sochi (deciduous forests) and would probably be some of the best skiing in the country due to the high amounts of precip (POW) that would fall

Gnashville 02-12-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 79793911)

Yes but the US no longer participates. Next one is in 2015 in Milan, Italy

jwhouk 02-13-2014 12:15 AM

No to the Winter Olympics; maybe to the Summer Olympics - but not very likely.

The Winter Olympics wouldn't work because of the lack of facilities for the Alpine events. Heck, I don't think Wisconsin could get a winter Olympics because of that, even though we'd have other venues covered.

As for the summer games: the memories of Atlanta would be in forefront of many of the IOC voters' minds. The association of Nashville = Atlanta would probably torpedo the idea. (It's also why I'm thinking that out-of-the-box idea of Tulsa, Oklahoma hosting the 2024 games will be shut down by the USOC.)

EDIT: ALG, I suspected there was a requirement for the Downhill, but I didn't know what it was. A 3k foot drop would pretty much eliminate anyplace in Wisconsin, as the steepest hill we'd have would be Granite Peak - and that's only 1,940 above sea level.

PredsV82 02-13-2014 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 79790523)
Infrastructure to pull off something like a Worlds Fair? Nope, I guess not.

the Worlds Fair didn't require a bobsled/luge track, a world class alpine skiing slope, ski jumping hills, speed skating and short track facilities, a curling facility,etc. How many sheets of ice are there in Knoxville?

if you thought I meant hotels and such Im sorry you misunderstood. My point was it would take massive construction to build the facilities needed for Knoxville to host a Winter games, and then what would be done with them afterwards?

WartracePred 02-13-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 79824971)
the Worlds Fair didn't require a bobsled/luge track, a world class alpine skiing slope, ski jumping hills, speed skating and short track facilities, a curling facility,etc. How many sheets of ice are there in Knoxville?

if you thought I meant hotels and such Im sorry you misunderstood. My point was it would take massive construction to build the facilities needed for Knoxville to host a Winter games, and then what would be done with them afterwards?

Very little in Knoxville or the surrounding area is in place for hosting Winter Games. Even the surrounding areas in the Smokies, as others have mentioned, aren't adequate. Knoxville was turned upside down and inside out in the years leading up to hosting the World's Fair. The entire interstate system was reworked and expanded. Building a few ice skating facilities and an Olympic Village wouldn't involve much more than what was built for the World's Fair. Ski slopes, jumps, and luge tracks create different obstacles that probably could not be overcome.

After the Fair, the site was used for several different purposes, none of which lasted. But there was political will and the money to back the project, so it happened.
Winter Games in Tennessee doesn't make sense. But if the Haslam family (political and financial backing) wanted it... who knows.