HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Waiver draft moves. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16038)

Peter 10-01-2003 01:16 PM

Waiver draft moves.

Some possible moves coming from how the protected lists look:

1) Calgary protecting Trefilov may mean that the Flames will be looking to nab a goalie in the waiver draft who is better than McLennan. Shields, Hnlinka and Boucher seem to be good choices.

2) Florida leaving both Novoseltsev and Trnka available while protecting lesser names Kelman and MacDonald may mean Florida is looking to add a d-man or forward from the waiver list. Traverse, Therien and Harvey are all Keenan type players who they may decide to pick up.

3) Boston protecting Thomas over Shiels, IMO, could mean that Boston has a trade worked out with Detroit for Cujo.

4) Wonder what Florida has up there sleeve. They left Therien unprotected but protected Slaney.

5) Guys like Keefe, Willis, Bouck and Tselios may be selected as well.

6) Class act by Atlanta Thrashers keeping Dan Snyder on their protected list.

neelynugs 10-01-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter

3) Boston protecting Thomas over Shiels, IMO, could mean that Boston has a trade worked out with Detroit for Cujo.

on the contrary, my friend. the decision to leave shields unprotected is because andrew raycroft is ready for prime time duty. shields didn't work out in boston, and hopefully he can latch on somewhere else so that we don't have to pay his 1.2 million dollar salary. cujo to boston doesn't seem to be on the radar screen anymore.

Kevin Forbes 10-01-2003 01:30 PM

I would say the Bruins would rather have a Potvin - Raycroft tandem then a Potvin - Shields tandem and that's why Shields is available.

Wonder if Bob Gainey's new team will try to pick up Steve Gainey from Dallas

Brodeur 10-01-2003 01:33 PM

Quote:

1) Calgary protecting Trefilov may mean that the Flames will be looking to nab a goalie in the waiver draft who is better than McLennan. Shields, Hnlinka and Boucher seem to be good choices.

2) Florida leaving both Novoseltsev and Trnka available while protecting lesser names Kelman and MacDonald may mean Florida is looking to add a d-man or forward from the waiver list. Traverse, Therien and Harvey are all Keenan type players who they may decide to pick up.

4) Wonder what Florida has up there sleeve. They left Therien unprotected but protected Slaney.

5) Guys like Keefe, Willis, Bouck and Tselios may be selected as well.

6) Class act by Atlanta Thrashers keeping Dan Snyder on their protected list.

1. Seems plausible. Although Boucher/Shields's price tag might be a bit high for a backup. I'd expect somebody like Nashville or perhaps Boston (Boucher's from the Northeast) to take Boucher if anybody does.

2. Harvey to Florida sounds like something that could work. Problem is that Harvey is due 1.3 mil this year, which is pricy for a 3rd liner especially for a low salary team like the Panthers.

Dudley seems to love his old prospects. He acquired Mathieu Biron at the waiver draft last year, signed Kristian Kudroc as a free agent this summer. One guy Tampa left unprotected was Dmitry Afanasenkov who Dudley was really high on a couple years ago.

3. Thomas over Shields is probably a financial decision. Wouldn't assume it has anything to do with Cujo.

4. I assume you mean Philly. Again, a financial decision. I think Clarke is just making room for Pitkanen, Woywitka, Seidenberg, and Vandermeer. Therien made 2.6 million last year. Maybe the Kings pick him up?

5. I'd be surprised to see Tselios taken. I'm not sure he's top 7 material on any team right now. All those guys are bubble guys, and I'm not sure which teams could guarentee them NHL roster spots.

6. Very classy, hopefully Snyder is able to live a normal life eventually.

Clash* 10-01-2003 01:44 PM

Quote:

I doubt you se Florida make a move for a vet. As was previously stated, Dudley might go after one of his former prospects, like Sheldon Keefe. Names like Kelman were protected so they could be exposed if someone was picked up. As for Novo, it was obvious he was goin to be left unprotected. He doesn't have a place or future with this club at present. He might catch on with another team and do well, but he hasn't shown what it takes here. And Macdonald might just be our fourth line center after Byron Ritchie couldn't score.

Enoch 10-01-2003 01:44 PM

Timander and Therin will almost certainly be picked up IMO, so many teams could use them.

Mowzie 10-01-2003 02:54 PM

there will be alot of movement on Friday, i think goalies will be shuffled. Cujo wont move but alot of teams can use backups.

Teemu 10-01-2003 02:56 PM

Chicago will pick up 1 or 2 players. Im guessing thats the reason they protected Marha and Petris

Bruzin 10-01-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
...alot of teams can use backups.

I hope that means someone takes Steve Shields!

Timmy1973 10-02-2003 07:04 AM

The thing about Dudley picking up his old prospects is they haven't been very good when they've been given a chance to make the team. That's why they are available. There are spots still up for grabs on the Lightning, but the likes of Willis, Afanasenkov and Keefe have done very little to prove they can stay on an NHL roster and play with any level of consistency.

Hecht 10-02-2003 07:12 AM

There's some speculation from blues that the Leafs might pick up Divis from the Blues unprotected list. Ferguson is the one who found Divis and liked him a lot. On top of that Kidd's hurt so they need a backup.

Newfie Bruin 10-02-2003 09:51 AM

The Leafs have Tellqvist!!
He is a excellent goalie!!
He may have had a high GAA last year but look at how many shots were on him... I think it was the most in the AHL..
Toronto does need more goalies
Belfour
Kidd
Tellqvist
Hodson
Centomo

Don't know why they protected Kidd....I guess he was the the only other goalie over 25 on Tor

lostboy_77 10-02-2003 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBRUINS19
The Leafs have Tellqvist!!
He is a excellent goalie!!
He may have had a high GAA last year but look at how many shots were on him... I think it was the most in the AHL..
Toronto does need more goalies
Belfour
Kidd
Tellqvist
Hodson
Centomo

Don't know why they protected Kidd....I guess he was the the only other goalie over 25 on Tor

they protected kidd so if they wanted to pick up anything they could easily do so and expose him. good safety valve in my opinion. if they find someone they like they can pick him up without exposing anyone of value....

whats the deal with toronto anyway....if no one picks up green or reichel they will have five centers....sundin newy antropov green and reichel. have they moved one of those guys to wing....?