HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Palffy lost interest (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=160487)

KingsFan7824 08-09-2005 06:00 AM

Palffy lost interest

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=160384

After the Kings got Roenick. Or at least that's what this says. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:

"After LA got Jeremy Roenick, I lost interest. He is a good player, but if they are interested in Roenick, they are interested in Roenick. I lost my interest in the Kings. Besides, the team did not have enough money left under the cap. Maybe they thought I would give in."
Well I can't do the link thing right, so there's the quote from the Pens board.

GKJ 08-09-2005 07:16 AM

He just didn't want to go back to LA.

The Kings brought in 2 all-star calibre centers and Palffy lost interest because of that? Sorry, that is ********.

Ujin 08-09-2005 08:11 AM

Considering the source, I've always wondered - how reliable is the Slovakian media when it comes to quotes? Do they have a reputation for accuracy? Or do they make up quotes like the NY Times?

Reason I ask is that we've gotten lots of weird quotes from the Slovakian press over the years. The Slovak paper said last year that Ziggy didn't want to come back to L.A. because he wanted to be closer to Slovakia - which turned out to be false. Then they quote Ziggy saying that the Kings were negotiating with his agent early in violation of league rules - and that appears to have been false, too.

If the quote is true, then it's an unbelievably STUPID thing to complain about the Kings getting a top-notch center for him to play with. But that unbelievable part makes me wonder if this is an accurate quote.

T2M 08-09-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ujin
Considering the source, I've always wondered - how reliable is the Slovakian media when it comes to quotes? Do they have a reputation for accuracy? Or do they make up quotes like the NY Times?

Reason I ask is that we've gotten lots of weird quotes from the Slovakian press over the years. The Slovak paper said last year that Ziggy didn't want to come back to L.A. because he wanted to be closer to Slovakia - which turned out to be false. Then they quote Ziggy saying that the Kings were negotiating with his agent early in violation of league rules - and that appears to have been false, too.

If the quote is true, then it's an unbelievably STUPID thing to complain about the Kings getting a top-notch center for him to play with. But that unbelievable part makes me wonder if this is an accurate quote.

What makes it even stupider is the thought of "I don't want to play with a talented center so I'm off to Pittsburg to play with Lemieux, Crosby, and Malkin."

Claypool* 08-09-2005 08:32 AM

Here's quotes from the pittsburgh news:

"I was surprised," Palffy said from Slovakia about the call late last week. "I was really happy that he was interested in me. He was fair, and he was straight. He just called me player to player. He's an owner, [but] he's not just about that. He wants to get me to this organization.

"They're putting a good team together. With the new rules, it's going to be fun. It's a more open ice. It's going to be different hockey for sure for the people. Very different hockey."

Patrick said the Penguins had good timing and good luck, what with the Kings trading for Jeremy Roenick late last week. Said Palffy: "I didn't ask for $6 million; I was asking for a fair price. The Kings were interested, then they got Roenick and they backed out. I put everything behind me right now. I'm ready to play hockey."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05221/550823.stm

Face Wash 08-09-2005 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool
Here's quotes from the pittsburgh news:

"I was surprised," Palffy said from Slovakia about the call late last week. "I was really happy that he was interested in me. He was fair, and he was straight. He just called me player to player. He's an owner, [but] he's not just about that. He wants to get me to this organization.

"They're putting a good team together. With the new rules, it's going to be fun. It's a more open ice. It's going to be different hockey for sure for the people. Very different hockey."

Patrick said the Penguins had good timing and good luck, what with the Kings trading for Jeremy Roenick late last week. Said Palffy: "I didn't ask for $6 million; I was asking for a fair price. The Kings were interested, then they got Roenick and they backed out. I put everything behind me right now. I'm ready to play hockey."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05221/550823.stm

I don't buy one word of it.

TonySCV 08-09-2005 10:15 AM

Demitra will hopefully make us forget all about Palffy... we won't see Palffy at all this season anyway - we're not playing Pittsburgh at all. (Except in the finals, potentially :) )

Sleestak 08-09-2005 10:20 AM

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Typical Kings negotiations, take it or leave it, or pull the offer from the table.

Happened before, will happen again, makes total sense to me.

George

Matt13 08-09-2005 10:43 AM

Do you ever have something new to say?

Beauty, eh? 08-09-2005 11:08 AM

Wow. I guess we can thank Paul Kraus for Ziggy's attitude.

Beauty, eh? 08-09-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestak
I don't find it hard to believe at all. Typical Kings negotiations, take it or leave it, or pull the offer from the table.

Happened before, will happen again, makes total sense to me.

George

Is LGK up yet? I think it is. Just sayin'.

Sleestak 08-09-2005 11:12 AM

Yes, the lemming board is up and running last I checked. Go run off and do a cheer for this team, they need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
Is LGK up yet? I think it is. Just sayin'.

Matt13 08-09-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Blah Blah Blah, same thing over and over, Blah Blah Blah, Kings suck, everyone else rules, Blah Blah Blah, Im so predictible, Blah Blah Blah Dave Taylor doesnt know what he's doing Blah Blah Blah, I obviously know more Blah Blah Blah.

Blah

B-MEL 08-09-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Maybe we can George Bush to drop fliers all over Slovakia to let the people know he's lying.

"Kings did not have enough cap room for me" ??? Dude we're at $30 Million (which includes the qualifying offers to RFA's) Your offer was for the same amount you signed for, just for 2 years vs 3. Just admit YOU did not want to play in LA. Move on and enjoy the weather in Pitt!!!

Sam 08-09-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin Man
Maybe we can George Bush to drop fliers all over Slovakia to let the people know he's lying.

"Kings did not have enough cap room for me" ??? Dude we're at $30 Million (which includes the qualifying offers to RFA's) Your offer was for the same amount you signed for, just for 2 years vs 3. Just admit YOU did not want to play in LA. Move on and enjoy the weather in Pitt!!!

The only thing you heard in negotiations from Palffy was that he was looking for a contract to retire on, a three or four year deal. This was at the beginning of free agency. The Kings only offered two years. It was that simple, IMO. Nothing about how he wanted to get away from LA, just how he wanted an extra year. The Kings didn't give it to him, the Pens did, and the rest is history.

Sleestak 08-09-2005 02:18 PM

Well that was pure genius, right along with your other well thought out posts. Wake me up when the Kings do something to cheer about. Until then I will reserve my positive posts when the Kings actually do something positive.

But we've done so well for what, the past ten years, I guess there is nothing negative worth mentioning that the Kings FO might want to address.

I suppose if we all imagine that the Kings are cup contenders and just shut out mouths and say nothing but nice things, it might actually happen.

Blah.

George

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt13
Blah

Beauty, eh? 08-09-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Well that was pure genius, right along with your other well thought out posts. Wake me up when the Kings do something to cheer about. Until then I will reserve my positive posts when the Kings actually do something positive.

:shakehead

Birdman 08-09-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

But we've done so well for what, the past ten years, I guess there is nothing negative worth mentioning that the Kings FO might want to address.

I suppose if we all imagine that the Kings are cup contenders and just shut out mouths and say nothing but nice things, it might actually happen.

Blah.

George

So I guess you don't want some tickets to this year's games?

Dave in LA 08-09-2005 03:06 PM

Translation:

They acquired JR and that does not leave any room for my boyfriend Stumpel.

Pitts is looking into signing my boyfriend.

D

agentfouser 08-09-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

i thought it was pretty funny, personally.

seriously, what would you like the kings' management to do? click their heels together and say "there's no one like palffy" a few times? and as for this stuff about the kings getting serious about winning the cup or doing this or that, don't get ahead of yourself. they need to start making the playoffs before they start realistically "going for the cup." otherwise, they'll just be making wild, desperate moves that won't get them anywhere. and don't take this as negativity--the last few years were injurious debacles, but, contrary to many other posters around then and now, i don't feel that it was murray's fault, taylor's fault, the popcorn guy's fault, or yo mamma's fault. rather, i think that taylor went out and built a very respectable team at low cost, but the price was susecptability to injury for our top players. it was a calculated risk that worked well at times but ended up not working the last two years. such is life. i think that management has done their best over the last five or six years (however long its been since taylor came in, i guess). overall, i'm happy with the progress that the team has made, and i'm fairly happy with the team we have going into this season. we are neither powerhouses nor cup contenders, but what could one do? its very easy for fans to sit around and say "why aren't we serious about winning?" but for a gm and coach, the matter is entirely more complicated. to them, it is a constellation of decisions that must be made day in and day out about whom to sign, whom not to, what an acceptable price is for someone, etc. the best they can do is try to make decisions that in the aggregate make the team better, give the team flexibility, or more room for growth. i am satisfied that management has done that.

Albi 08-09-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in LA
Translation:

D

If the Pens will sign Slumpel, Palffy is a clown.

swinginutter* 08-09-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
If the Pens will sign Slumpel, Palffy is a clown.

They will sign Stumpel. You're right he is a clown and he no longer wears the crest.
Who's to blame? I don't know, I don't care. I loved Ziggy and will probably watch Pitt games on the ticket to see how he does. But if he ever shows up in LA, I hope we destroy him.
I've been dealing with favorite players moving for the last 20 yrs not only with the Kings but with Juve. I'm use to it. It bums me out at times, but i'll get over it (see i'm already over it). I hope Pittsburgh wins their division and then gets swept in the first round! :eek:

They shouldn't get a top pick for the next ten years. They have no excuses anymore.

fuzzerson 08-09-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Slovakian media = Hacksaw

Mxpunk 08-09-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in LA
Translation:

D

I wonder if he's going to grow his hair out and wear #68 again? :biglaugh:

Reaper45 08-09-2005 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I wonder if he's going to grow his hair out and wear #68 again? :biglaugh:

Billy Ray Palffy.