HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: The Flyers blew it by not selecting Maatta (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1604879)

Jtown 02-14-2014 06:51 PM

The Flyers blew it by not selecting Maatta

He is so good, he would arguably be our best all round defender and would have had a year to learn from timmonen. Laughton is going to be a solid top 9ner. Maatta is already a first pairing mobile puck moving all situations defender , something this team does not have in its system.

Curufinwe 02-14-2014 06:54 PM

Meh. They took Kevin Marshall two spots ahead of PK Subban in 2007. At least Laughton looks like being a solid NHL player.

Flyotes 02-14-2014 06:57 PM

A lot of us wanted him -- not to say I'm not happy with Laughton.

flyershockey 02-14-2014 07:04 PM

Half of one season from one of these players and you've come to this decision?

Mr Black 02-14-2014 07:16 PM

Thread is about 5 years too early. Let's see him and Laughton play a few seasons first.

The Dream 02-14-2014 07:16 PM

Let's wait until we see Laughton play with some extended time in the NHL before we make the call on if this was an awful decision.

I am not to crazy about Maatta right now anyway. I think he is good, but a tad overrated. But, right now I can't get over Trouba. I know the Flyers were unable to select him, but he is going to be an amazing defenseman, like top 5 in the league good. I see Maatta's ceiling as a decent top pairing defenseman but not a franchise #1.

LegionOfDoom91 02-14-2014 07:23 PM

Pittsburgh blew it earlier in that draft when they took Pouliot over Trouba.

FlyersFan61290 02-14-2014 07:26 PM

I'm with the rest in saying it's a bit too early. I mean Laughton isn't even in the NHL yet.

As of right now though I'd have to agree. Especially considering the fact that the Flyers have an overabundance of centers (of which Laughton will most likely be the worst) and what the team desperately needs is cheap, quality young d-men with size that can move the puck aka a d-man in the Maatta mold though I think we have one in Hagg.

RJ8812 02-14-2014 07:35 PM

ya, he's going to win the Norris this year IMO

Dirty but Good 02-14-2014 07:36 PM

The Flyers 2012 draft class could be the best of the league from that year.

Laughton, Stolarz, Gostisbehere, even Leier played for Canada U20s.

I think Laughton will be a very solid player.

LegionOfDoom91 02-14-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 79911913)
ya, he's going to win the Norris this year IMO

I don't know about that one, he's not even in the top 30 in points amongst defensemen. I know points shouldn't be the main measuring stick for these things but voters still do otherwise Weber would have had a few in his trophy case already.

The Dream 02-14-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 79912155)
I don't know about that one, he's not even in the top 30 in points amongst defensemen. I know points shouldn't be the main measuring stick for these things but voters still do otherwise Weber would have had a few in his trophy case already.

I am not sure, but I think he was being sarcastic. Frankly, I would not put Maatta in the top 3 for the calder.

I would say the top 3 are Mackinnion, Trouba, and Lindholm.

I hope Weber wins it this year, but I have a feeling it will go to Keith.

LegionOfDoom91 02-14-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 (Post 79912353)
I am not sure, but I think he was being sarcastic. Frankly, I would not put Maatta in the top 3 for the calder.

Weber's trending up right now on a terrible team while Keith's trending down. I think this will finally be the year Weber gets his Norris.

Qubax 02-14-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 (Post 79912353)

Hampus Lindholm?

Jtown 02-14-2014 08:07 PM

I have no problem with Laughton and fully expect him to be a solid player. However Maatta fills the much larger organizational need.

flyershockey 02-14-2014 08:09 PM

2012 really does have the potential to be a banner year for the Flyers as far as the draft goes. If things turn out right, it could be their best draft since 2003, even if Maatta becomes a better pro than Laughton.

RJ8812 02-14-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 79912155)

ya, I was being sarcastic

Hockeypete49 02-14-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 79910607)
Meh. They took Kevin Marshall two spots ahead of PK Subban in 2007. At least Laughton looks like being a solid NHL player.

Yep I am not ready to call this kid Bobby Orr. Get back to me in five years or so. Then we will talk to see who made the right call. Really cracks me up around this site sometimes.

Prongo 02-14-2014 08:31 PM

He's has potential but to say we made a mistake before both kids have even played a full year in the nhl is very hasty. We have seen time after time young defenders come in and play well, then their game goes to hell. Maata isn't a top pairing dman either, he is playing less than 18 mins a night.

Garbage Goal 02-14-2014 08:32 PM

Saying they "blew it" suggests a huge mess-up or at least that they picked a complete bust ahead of him. They did neither. Laughton looks like he'll be a really solid NHL top 9 player right now. If you look back at every draft ever there's about a million or so examples of better players being picked after inferior ones. Datsyuk was a late-round pick IIRC so every team blew it with him I guess by this topic's standards and St. Louis was undrafted so I guess everyone blew it there.

Flyotes 02-14-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 79913935)
If you look back at every draft ever there's about a million or so examples of better players being picked after inferior ones. Datsyuk was a late-round pick IIRC so every team blew it with him I guess by this topic's standards and St. Louis was undrafted so I guess everyone blew it there.

I'm okay with saying that all those teams blew it by passing them.

Sniped 02-14-2014 08:44 PM

There's really no point in dwelling, when we haven't seen a full NHL season with Laughton yet.

Homer drafted Laughton. Did he screw up badly? Maybe, maybe not. We need to tamper our expectations with Maata just because Penguins fans say he has #1 dman written all over him.

Maata has looked alright for being a rookie dman, but c'mon we still gotta see Laughton.
A potential Mike Richards 2.0 with the 20th overall pick seems pretty good to me.

Appleyard 02-14-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 79914223)
I'm okay with saying that all those teams blew it by passing them.

Tbf he was as a being outproduced by guys like Afinogenov, Lyashenko, Pastukh and Balmochnykh... who were all a year or two younger in the year he was drafted!

At the same age in the same league in the same year Andrei Markov had double the PPG from the blueline!

And then it was not until he was 22-23 that he broke out in Russia! Like 3 years after being drafted.

I know NHL teams have more extensive networks for scouting these days...

I doubt for example Zetterberg would be missed today.

He would be a 2nd rounder today I reckon with being on Swedish youth teams, playing with men age 17 and getting 28 in 37 in his draft year vs men in what is now Allsvenskan!

Him and Martensson (probably NHL standard in different circumstances... he was great in SHL and for Sweden) went super late for their production as teens in a men's league. That kind of production now (look at Nylander... slightly better production) would get a lot of hype... Weinhandl would have been a top 15 pick today I reckon.

But I can still imagine Datsyuk being missed. No one drafted him in his draft year even, never on a Russian junior team, never a standout etc... he would have been drafted earlier (in years or rounds) today if more had seen him... but there are still a lot of euros with fantastic hands who are on the small side who get drafted late.

Even Hakan Andersson basically said it was luck!

Though tbh scouts just rarely get it wrong these days: Benn, Streit, Polak, Demers and Hornqvist are probably the 5 biggest draft 'misses' in the last 10 years! (ie they got past the first 100 picks!)

Stizzle 02-14-2014 09:19 PM

Laughton has a hat trick tonight for Oshawa if that makes anyone feel any better. :dunno:

FLYERSFAN18 02-14-2014 09:29 PM

I am really looking forward to Laughton becoming an NHL regular whether that is at center or wing. A Laughton-Couturier-Read line could be the top shutdown line in the league in a year or two and also be a good offensive threat. He obviously won't be an elite player, but he seems like he will be the kind of player that helps win championships.