HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Howard Berger Rumor : Lindros agrees to a deal in principle with the Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=160520)

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 08:32 AM

Howard Berger Rumor : Lindros agrees to a deal in principle with the Leafs

So his sources are telling him

1.6 for 1 yr
plus an option

they are trying to sort out incentives/bonuses similar to Allison's deal

but then he goes on to say today could be the day the deal either gets done or falls thru :dunno:

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 08:35 AM

also mojo leafs update:

Leafs Update - August 9
Tuesday, August, 09, 2005

** Despite some reports to the contrary the Leafs are still very much in the hunt for Eric Lindros. Much like the Jason Allison deal, Lindros’ would have to be a bonus-laden contract which is risky depending on how many of those are hit and how close the Leafs are to the cap limit of $39 million. If you’re at the cap limit and the bonus structure puts you over then it counts against the cap next year, if you are not over the cap then the extra dough doesn’t.

** On Leafs Lunch yesterday new Leaf Jason Allison cleared up his health issues. He has had no concussions but has suffered three bouts of whiplash. He passed both physicals the Leafs put him through last week and is completely healthy.

In today’s Nation Post J.P Barry, agent for Alex Mogilny say’s he has not spoken to the Leafs about his client and Al Mo is not expected to be in blue + white next season even though he has said he would come in for $2 million. Barry also claims Mogilny’s arthritic hip will be 100% fine for the start of the season Oct 5th.

** As we talked about on Leafs Lunch yesterday, perhaps the Leafs inactivity during the free agent period is the smartest thing to do. Many hockey people we’ve spoken to seem to think the Leafs are doing it right by heading cautiously into this season while other teams blow their brains out on huge signings.

** Today on Leafs Lunch we’ll speak with agent Don Meehan about his client Nik Antrropov whom John Ferguson say’s will be playing with the Leafs this year despite entertaining more lucrative offers from club teams in Russia.

- Jeff Marek

wasting time 08-09-2005 08:37 AM

PLF, love ya man, but -- didn't Berger also say in the same report that JFJ made a $2 million offer for Zetterberg? Why would Zetterberg leave the Wings for that? And as if Holland can't match it. And why piss off Holland with such a stupid offer? I mean really, that is as stupid a rumor as $3.5 million multi-year offer for Lindros from Nashville, and that when Lindros turned it down, Poille signed Kariya instead. :shakehead

The point is, Berger is a fool.

wasting time 08-09-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

In today’s Nation Post J.P Barry, agent for Alex Mogilny say’s he has not spoken to the Leafs about his client and Al Mo is not expected to be in blue + white next season even though he has said he would come in for $2 million. Barry also claims Mogilny’s arthritic hip will be 100% fine for the start of the season Oct 5th.
Mogilny is one of my favorite players of all time, but what do you expect Barry to say?

tmg 08-09-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
** Despite some reports to the contrary the Leafs are still very much in the hunt for Eric Lindros. Much like the Jason Allison deal, Lindros’ would have to be a bonus-laden contract which is risky depending on how many of those are hit and how close the Leafs are to the cap limit of $39 million. If you’re at the cap limit and the bonus structure puts you over then it counts against the cap next year, if you are not over the cap then the extra dough doesn’t.

I've asked this before and got no answer, so I'll ask again: How, exactly, is Lindros eligible for an incentive-driven contract?

Quoted from a post I made on the business of hockey board:

I'm getting mixed signals.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Ho...57523-sun.html

says: "...he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope. "

This refers to the NHL.com CBA FAQ:

"What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35. "

My problem: I count only ~85 days on IR in Lindros' 2003-2004 campaign.

10/20/03 to 11/8/03 (20 days) and 1/29/04 to end of season 4/3/04 (65 days).

So, my question: is it more likely that the above-linked article is wrong, or is there something I'm not taking account-of (playoff days on IR counting, even for a player on a team that missed the playoffs)?

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 08:43 AM

2 million is too much for mogilny ?
besides carter, is there anyone else out there ??

Platapie 08-09-2005 08:44 AM

Damnit TMG, people aren't expected to actually check these things! You've ruined our ploy.

Hrmm, but at least on the surface you do indeed seem to be correct. There must be something you're missing, I've heard that Lindros was eligble from a number of places, though I suppose it's not impossible that everyone plagarized the other.

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 08:45 AM

'If you’re at the cap limit and the bonus structure puts you over then it counts against the cap next year, if you are not over the cap then the extra dough doesn’t.'

sounds good
never heard that one before

crump 08-09-2005 08:54 AM

Quote:

'If you’re at the cap limit and the bonus structure puts you over then it counts against the cap next year, if you are not over the cap then the extra dough doesn’t.'

sounds good
never heard that one before

yes.. damned if you do...no foul if you don't (go over the cap)

bcrt2000 08-09-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmg
I've asked this before and got no answer, so I'll ask again: How, exactly, is Lindros eligible for an incentive-driven contract?

Quoted from a post I made on the business of hockey board:

I'm getting mixed signals.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Ho...57523-sun.html

says: "...he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope. "

This refers to the NHL.com CBA FAQ:

"What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35. "

My problem: I count only ~85 days on IR in Lindros' 2003-2004 campaign.

10/20/03 to 11/8/03 (20 days) and 1/29/04 to end of season 4/3/04 (65 days).

So, my question: is it more likely that the above-linked article is wrong, or is there something I'm not taking account-of (playoff days on IR counting, even for a player on a team that missed the playoffs)?

i think the offseason is included

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 08:59 AM

http://hockeysinsider.blogspot.com/

blog admits he's a fraud

:)

i guess he didnt like the pic i made of him ;)

Nacho 08-09-2005 09:02 AM

Old news that Eric would do anything to play in a Leafs jersey, so this is surely true...

timlap 08-09-2005 09:09 AM

Quote:

. . .
1.6 for 1 yr
plus an option
. . .

Will someone please give me a definite answer. Are there such things as option years, or are they a product of the now defunct CBA? I've heard conflicting things about this.

Thanks in advance. :)

bcrt2000 08-09-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

blog admits he's a fraud

Obviously some *******. Read the comment I made in his last post about the credibility of a certain blog.

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 09:39 AM

according to ******'s sources lindros will be a leaf today :sarcasm:

bcrt2000 08-09-2005 09:45 AM

Quote:

according to ******'s sources lindros will be a leaf today :sarcasm:

I think we all know when it comes to leafs rumours, Howard Berger is his source.

I'll go out on a limb and say Dregger is another one of his sources because they reported the exact same Lapointe deal although Dregger reported it after he signed elsewhere and also gave the details of Melnyk nixing it.

RangerBoy 08-09-2005 10:19 AM

Team Lindros is holding up the deal by demanding greater bonuses than Toronto gave Jason Allison.Does Carl ever stop?How much money has Eric made in his career? :shakehead

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 11:04 AM

come on carl
give me a break :rant:

salzy 08-09-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Team Lindros is holding up the deal by demanding greater bonuses than Toronto gave Jason Allison.Does Carl ever stop?How much money has Eric made in his career? :shakehead

YEAH! And while we're at it, Jagr, Yzerman, Forsberg, Sakic, Sundin, Fedorov and Brodeur should all play for free too. Rangerboy thinks they've made enough money. :shakehead

p.l.f. 08-09-2005 11:17 AM

leafs lunch on mojo:

watters: bonuses would go against the cap only if they are over 2.9 million in bonuses.

beyak: bonuses would count against the cap next season.

watters: keenan was in LA watching mogilny practice

barrytrotzsneck 08-09-2005 11:22 AM

what I don't understand is why you WANT Lindros so badly. Are you that desperate for a signing in an otherwise quiet free agency? :dunno:

PeterTheGr8 08-09-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

blog admits he's a fraud

Hee Hee! Don't believe everything you read.

On the Lindros front: I hope he goes to Toronto so I can yell "Melonhead" at him so much more with the new schedule!

- if he signs with the Bruins I may commit seppuku.

shakes 08-09-2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
what I don't understand is why you WANT Lindros so badly. Are you that desperate for a signing in an otherwise quiet free agency? :dunno:

When healthy he is a PPG player.. if you can get someone like that for 1.5, then you take the risk.

FLYLine24* 08-09-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids

1) Still puts up about a point a game.
2) Plays with more heart then pretty much anyone. (playing in Toronto is only going to make him play even harder)
3) Cheap
4) Great Locker room guy (dont know about his past but I do know Rangers always had good things to say about the guy off ice)
5) Great Leader

That answer your question?

dolfanar 08-09-2005 11:46 AM

Wow, the Leafs will have a decent enough opening night roster, but boy are they setting themselves up for a HUGE injury season. The other players aren't exactly young and spry either. If these deals pan out the leafs could be laughing, but realistically this could be a rough, rough season.