HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Five Theoretical UFA Situations (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1605621)

Flukeshot 02-16-2014 07:12 AM

Five Theoretical UFA Situations
 
Just looking to kill some time during the Olympic break. I'm sure some of these guys will either be signed by their current teams or offered more on the open UFA market, but for discussion purposes... for each one, if the player were available after the initial free agent frenzy and could be had for the contract listed, do you do it?

Note: Flyers should have around $12m to spend after resigning their key RFAs.

Halak or Hiller 1 year $3.5m:the offseason goalie shuffle leaves one of the two without a clear starting job and they'd take a one year deal at a discount. Mason is our starter these two can challenge him. Do you spend the cap space on a guy who may turn out to be back up?

Markov $5.5m 4 years: could be Streit part two but is one of the only guys available who have been a first pairing D. 35 years old and injury prone. Assuming Timonen retires we have a gap for a PMD. Do you sign Markov until he's essentially 40?

Boyle or Timonen 2 years $4.5m: Timonen 38 tells the team he's not ready to retire and wants a two year deal, Boyle 37 is also available looking for two years. Do you sign either?

Heatley $3.75m 3 years: this guy has fallen off sharply but at half his current price is his worth the gamble? To find out you need to make a three year commitment.

Iginla $4m 1 year: we don't need him on RW but let's say he approaches the team with this offer because he wants to play top line minutes and with Giroux.

Do you bite on any of these? Multiple while staying within the cap?

Prongo 02-16-2014 07:29 AM

We aren't going to get Halak or Hiller, we are paying Mason 4.1 a year. He is our goalie.

I find it strange people complain about the 35+ contract around here, but all we want to do is target the two older FA's in Boyle and Markov. If these guys want 3 or 4 year deals, they will get them in Free Agency. I wouldn't do it.

Kimmo I would gladly take back and anything at or under 5 million

HELL NO TO DANY "ALL-STAR" HEATLEY

Iggy is just getting up there in age and also like you said we don't need RW's. We need LW's, no room for him even if we do sign him. Kinda would be like a Vinny situation all over again.

Also, we will only have around 6 million or so when we sign our RFA's, so trades are most likely coming this offseason to clear some cap room.

BillDineen 02-16-2014 07:41 AM

UFA goalie? That makes no sense.

Also, Pronger will be on the final roster, so that space is not all usable.

Healtey is also a bad idea.

GKJ 02-16-2014 07:44 AM

Spending $8M on goaltending is egregiously wasteful.


Heatley sucks. He was a top scorer who has been passed around the league for a reason. Someone gets him, and they don't want him (or in Ottawa's case, changes his mind). He is also constantly a no-show in the playoffs.

If Timonen sticks around, he's going to be signing 1 year deals from here on out.

Boyle and Markov wouldn't bother me for 1 or 2 years, but they're both 35+'s. Don't need to be locked in on that

flyershockey 02-16-2014 08:02 AM

4 years for Markov would be a huge mistake. I don't see his game sustaining for that long. Two years? Sure, that sounds alright if he's willing to leave Montreal.

Flyerss 02-16-2014 08:07 AM

the only nice thing in that list is Boyle and there is no way he'll sign a 4.5m contract

Curufinwe 02-16-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flukeshot (Post 79985349)
Just looking to kill some time during the Olympic break. I'm sure some of these guys will either be signed by their current teams or offered more on the open UFA market, but for discussion purposes... for each one, if the player were available after the initial free agent frenzy and could be had for the contract listed, do you do it?

Note: Flyers should have around $12m to spend after resigning their key RFAs.

They will only have around $6m. That might be enough to get Boyle if we also give him the two year deal San Jose won't.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.874m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,209,720; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,890,280

Flukeshot 02-16-2014 08:20 AM

I was backing out Prongers contract, so you're right it's $6m. So I guess only 1 signing is really possible. I'm also pegging Schenn lower than $3m but it's not a significant difference.

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-16-2014 08:25 AM

If the Flyers can pull it off, I'd have no problems with Niskanen and Nikitin being signed as free agents. Mobility is improved, Niskanen is a power play guy who can play on the top unit (my own preference for the power play is to have two defensemen manning the top and three forwards down low) and Nikitin is a solid two-way guy (partnering him with Streit would allow Streit to roam a little more and really generate offense).

Of course, that would also mean tying up a significant chunk of change into the defense yet again (I'm sure that Niskanen and Nikitin will probably get 4+ million on the open market) and would leave the team little wiggle room to re-sign some of it's own free agents. The flip side to that is that if Gostisbehere leaves college, the Flyers won't need to rush him and he can spend a season in the AHL refining the defensive side of his game. I can already see the pairings going forward:

Niskanen - Coburn
Streit - Nikitin
Gustafsson - Schenn

That's a pretty solid group going forward. You can add Mark Alt as the 7th guy and he'll get some games in under his belt.

As for forwards, I'd like to see the fourth line be given more than just an 'energy' role and that they become a competent two-way threat similar to the third line. While I agree that Rinaldo needs to stay in the lineup to bring that necessary physical presence, I'd love to see two solid scorers/defensive players brought into that line. For instance, I'd love to see Laughton and Leier be the fourth line guys with Rinaldo and then maybe a guy like Jussi Jokinen to play on the third line. Going forward, the Flyers forwards would look something like this:

Fartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Lecavalier - B. Schenn - Simmonds
Jokinen - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Leier
Rosehill

Finally, in terms of goaltending, we all know that Mason will be the number one guy going forward. Anthony Stolarz is three seasons away from really challenging for a spot on the big club. Cal Heeter just doesn't have it to make it at the next level and Ray Emery's hip is done and his lateral movement is shot. Maybe a guy like Justin Peters can come in here and fill that back up role. You're looking at a guy who's good for about 30 games a year and the Flyers wouldn't be forced to play Mason more than 55 to 60 games per year.

Curufinwe 02-16-2014 08:27 AM

What happened to Raffl? I'd rather him on the third line at $1m than Jokinen at $3m+.

Prongo 02-16-2014 08:32 AM

I am really just not a fan of Niskanen or Nikitin at the prices they will demand. The term will probably be 4-5 years as well, Niskanen especially. We need to improve our mobility on the back end, but I think there is better ways to doing that instead of over paying those two guys.

Jokinen is going to get a good pay raise as well. He has 42 in 56, which means he will almost surely hit 50 points. I could see a team like Nashville or Florida offering him a contract he just cant turn down.

orange is better 02-16-2014 08:35 AM

Id like to get Boyle on a ~2 year deal to replace Timonen and help develop Morin/Ghost/Hagg if any of them are to make the team in the next 2 years.

Prongo 02-16-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 79988341)
Id like to get Boyle on a ~2 year deal to replace Timonen and help develop Morin/Ghost/Hagg if any of them are to make the team in the next 2 years.

The only problem with this is if Boyle wants to play 3-4 more years, he is going to get that deal. San Jose will probably be the only place he will accept a shorter deal with, but it has been a problem with their negotiations right now. He wants 3 years and Sn Jose is only going 2. On the market, he probably could even get 4 for around 22 million I would say.

RJ8812 02-16-2014 08:59 AM

I like the idea of Markov, but not for 4 years. 2 at the most. He would be a good stop-gap until we can get a real #1 defenseman.

the other 3 don't make any sense. After his latest extension, Mason is our goalie and there's no sense bringing in someone at $3.5m to play with him. You look for a back-up for him that will cost less than $2m

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-16-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 79988007)
What happened to Raffl? I'd rather him on the third line at $1m than Jokinen at $3m+.

Meh, Michael Raffl is a dime a dozen forward. He's a less physical version of Darrol Powe. If someone were to offer a decent draft choice for him, I'd move him.

Curufinwe 02-16-2014 09:16 AM

Raffl already has more points in 46 games than Powe had in his best ever season. He has offensive ability Powe can only dream of, as well as being fourth among Flyers forwards in penalty killing ice time.

Appleyard 02-16-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 79989893)
Meh, Michael Raffl is a dime a dozen forward. He's a less physical version of Darrol Powe. If someone were to offer a decent draft choice for him, I'd move him.

In 139 AHL games Powe has scored at 0.33 PPG. At 0.17 in the NHL

In Raffls few games in the AHL it looked very apparent he was far to good for the league. Small sample... but being one of the best player in the Allsvenkan, and scoring at 0.40 PPG in the NHL so far is a far higher calibre than Powe can speak of.

Powe never really had the ability to be more than a 4th liner at NHL level... which as you say are pretty dime a dozen.

But Raffl has already shown he can be a great 3rd liner while chipping in offensively, being strong on the boards, a very good skater and able to PK very well.

Raffl is also joint 10th in the Olympics in points... ;)

Tripod 02-16-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 79987557)
They will only have around $6m. That might be enough to get Boyle if we also give him the two year deal San Jose won't.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.874m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,209,720; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,890,280

I would rather have Hall resigned and let Laughton start in the AHL. Allow him to do what Giroux did and get comfortable playing against men, then call him up if ready.

We need to look for that dman that slips thru the cracks once everyone spends their money...like Hainsey at 2 million this year.

RJ8812 02-16-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 79989893)
Meh, Michael Raffl is a dime a dozen forward. He's a less physical version of Darrol Powe. If someone were to offer a decent draft choice for him, I'd move him.

Raffl brings a lot more offense to the table than Powe does

Broad Street Elite 02-16-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 79989625)
I like the idea of Markov, but not for 4 years. 2 at the most. He would be a good stop-gap until we can get a real #1 defenseman.

the other 3 don't make any sense. After his latest extension, Mason is our goalie and there's no sense bringing in someone at $3.5m to play with him. You look for a back-up for him that will cost less than $2m

I'm sure you would, but he is going to take advantage of the market and get 3-4 years out of someone. Not saying it needs to be us, but that will definitely happen.

Boyle would a good signing for 2 years at anything around 12 or less imo.

bennysflyers16 02-16-2014 09:46 AM

Look at how good Raffl looks in the Olympics as well. IMO, he is a cheap , perfect fit to play with Couts and Read going fwd .

sobrien 02-16-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerss (Post 79987297)
the only nice thing in that list is Boyle and there is no way he'll sign a 4.5m contract

This

duffy9748 02-16-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 79989893)
Meh, Michael Raffl is a dime a dozen forward. He's a less physical version of Darrol Powe. If someone were to offer a decent draft choice for him, I'd move him.

Couldn't disagree more.

Garbage Goal 02-16-2014 10:51 AM

Don't know why Timonen would be looking for more then a one year deal when he just signed a one year deal, is considering retirement, and is on the downswing of his career.

Only people on that list I would want is Timonen and that's just because he's Timonen and maybe Iginla or Halak/Hiller if they are willing to sign cheap and short deals which is unlikely.

bennysflyers16 02-16-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 79993593)
Don't know why Timonen would be looking for more then a one year deal when he just signed a one year deal, is considering retirement, and is on the downswing of his career.

Only people on that list I would want is Timonen and that's just because he's Timonen and maybe Iginla or Halak/Hiller if they are willing to sign cheap and short deals which is unlikely.

If Kimmo stays one more year, I think he could sign for 2-3 mill for one year as a bottom pairing guy And we move at deadline if not in contention.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.