HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Advice: Screening the Goalie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1606037)

iFishyHD 02-16-2014 08:23 PM

Screening the Goalie

I play in a Roller Hockey rec league with guys from 13-15 (ya I know most of you could be my dad). I always screen the goalie but last game it resulted in a couple cross checks. Am I doing anything dirty?

Onetimersniper28 02-16-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFishyHD (Post 80023383)
I play in a Roller Hockey rec league with guys from 13-15 (ya I know most of you could be my dad). I always screen the goalie but last game it resulted in a couple cross checks. Am I doing anything dirty?

No, you're doing exactly the right thing, and that is putting the other team in distress. They cross check you because you're dangerous to them. Normally, the defensemen push you out of the crease.
Stand your ground, keep your stick down, look for deflections and rebounds, good things will happen :yo:

Ozz 02-16-2014 08:40 PM

Sounds right to me. Be careful if you decide to reply to their cross-checks, because chances are the refs will see your retaliation only. Learn to retaliate in a smart manner; especially if you're strong you can piss off a lot of people while staying completely clean. With that, more bad choices on their end and you'll likely end up getting calls your way here and there.

MattGTI 02-16-2014 09:10 PM

What those two posters said.

SlingshotVv 02-17-2014 10:28 AM

They wouldn't bother, but screening makes you the most dangerous player in the zone. It allows your teammates to shoot from anywhere and have it a quality shot, tips, deflections, one touches from you to other players, and rebounds.

All that plus you're probably going to draw a ton of PP's. Just don't be a dope and retaliate.

ean 02-17-2014 12:24 PM

Holmstrom made his living doing this. Unfortunately, cross checks from dmen and goalies are the price you will pay. Some refs will call it, others will let it go. I like to get a pretty wide stance going with my stick right in front of me. Pretty much a basic hockey stance. Usually d men try to push you from the wide and this makes it a lot tougher for them to move you since they are perpendicular to your skate edges. If I am getting crosschecked from behind, your stick will keep you propped up. Always square up to your shooter.

Btw, thats more advice for the pp. if your at even strength, you can still be doing this, assuming your team has possession of the puck (especially at the points). But, if your other forwards are still grinding it out in the corners, you should not be in front of the net, because you're of no help to them there.

Pasquatch 02-17-2014 06:01 PM

As a goalie I can tell you to be the most effective the thing to do is to always keep a eye on the play while keeping a visual of the goalie's position.

I don't know how many times I get a guy planted in front of me, totally absorbed with the play, not seeing that my field of few is totally unobstructed.

Look in front and keep an eye on the goalie from the corner of your eye.

If you get pushed around, it means that you're effective.

boo10 02-17-2014 08:47 PM

To effectively screen, I imagine that I am the goalie and try to position myself at the same angle to the shooter. You force the goalie to either change his positioning or look around you. Both of which will hinder their ability to make the save.

jazzykat 02-18-2014 03:59 AM

I play beer leand and IMO it's the price you pay for camping out down there. That said cross checking is unnecessary and dangerous, I can normally just push a guy with one hand or forearm into their back or into one shoulder. I also tie their stick up. If they are in a wide stance and strong it's difficult to destabilize them. I'm purposely not crosschecking them or trying to injure them. I am physically moving them, causing a loss of their concentration and physically tiring them out.

I find this to be a reasonable line to take and in the few games I've played the refs have had no problem.