HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Team Canada in 1993/1994 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1606151)

alko 02-17-2014 03:05 AM

Team Canada in 1993/1994

When i looked to the Petr Nedved Statistics, i found, that in this season he played for Team Canada. 17 games. Ok, i can understand, he hasn't any NHL contract at this time.

There was also Brian Savage. And he played 59 games for Team Canada in that season.
59 games? That is a lot of games. How looked the schedule for this team? Did they had any "Home" ice rink?

yukoner88 02-17-2014 03:41 AM

If the NHL doesn't go to South Korea in 2018, I wonder if Hockey Canada will have an official national team again

STLBlueshistory 02-17-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alko (Post 80032377)
When i looked to the Petr Nedved Statistics, i found, that in this season he played for Team Canada. 17 games. Ok, i can understand, he hasn't any NHL contract at this time.

There was also Brian Savage. And he played 59 games for Team Canada in that season.
59 games? That is a lot of games. How looked the schedule for this team? Did they had any "Home" ice rink?

Not sure if your post is in regards to only 1993-94 or not.

The national team for Team Canada played a lot of games (50+) for at least 1979-80 to to 1999-00. There could be other years. I am not Canadian so someone from Canada might be able to be more specific on that & a possible 'home' arena.

NHL teams would loan guys to the Canadian national team, Example the St Louis Blues loaned Cliff Ronning after he had a NHL contract.

nutbar 02-17-2014 12:27 PM

No, there wasn't any home rink, the team just barnstormed across the country and the world, mostly against other national teams, IIRC. Often the national team played in tournaments such as the Globen tournament and the Izvestia Cup, sometimes with shocking success.

the edler 02-18-2014 04:51 AM

One tournament the Canadian national team participated in [and apparently still participates in?] was the Spengler Cup i Davos, Switzerland, against some top teams from some european leagues. In december 1994 Team Canada finished third in that tournament [yes, that's a link] behind swedish side Färjestads BK and home club HC Davos, but in front of Traktor Chelyabinsk from Russia and HIFK Helsinki from Finland.

Here's the whole canadian team for that season.

Hoser 02-18-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alko (Post 80032377)
Did they had any "Home" ice rink?

Team Canada's "home" rink was Father David Bauer Arena in Calgary, but I don't know how many games, if any, they played there in front of an audience.

(The national teams' official 'home' is now the Markin MacPhail Centre, also in Calgary.)

Killion 02-18-2014 11:52 AM

^^^ Wasnt the "original home of Canadas National Team" and program in Vancouver, likely at UBC's Thunderbird Arena? Father David Bauer who created the program after being transferred from St.Mikes in Toronto to St.Marks College at UBC obviously based there, Coached University Hockey along with securing the players for the Nats who then attended UBC. The teams home base however in 1965 transferred to Winnipeg, the program then folded altogether in the early 70's. Revived thereafter, Hockey Canada, based in Calgary.

Hoser 02-18-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 80083073)
^^^ Wasnt the "original home of Canadas National Team" and program in Vancouver, likely at UBC's Thunderbird Arena? Father David Bauer who created the program after being transferred from St.Mikes in Toronto to St.Marks College at UBC obviously based there, Coached University Hockey along with securing the players for the Nats who then attended UBC. The teams home base however in 1965 transferred to Winnipeg, the program then folded altogether in the early 70's. Revived thereafter, Hockey Canada, based in Calgary.

I don't remember where the original home was, but I know that as of the late '60s there were two homes, and two teams: the "Eastern Nats" based out of Ottawa and the "Western Nats" out of Winnipeg. The best players from the two teams would be selected to play in tournaments like the worlds and the Olympics.

I'm not sure where the team was based from the late '70s to late '80s, but I know that after the '88 Olympics in Calgary the team's 'permanent' base was at Father David Bauer Arena, just northwest of McMahon Stadium. That's where all of Hockey Canada's offices were until the Markin MacPhail Centre (at Canada Olympic Park) was completed a couple years ago.