HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: PK Subban offer sheet (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1607097)

WelcomeToGirouxSalem 02-18-2014 10:46 PM

PK Subban offer sheet

If PK makes it to the offseason as an RFA can you see Holmgren throwing a Shea Weber offer sheet at him?

LegionOfDoom91 02-18-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelcomeToGirouxSalem (Post 80107169)
If PK makes it to the offseason as an RFA can you see Holmgren throwing a Shea Weber offer sheet at him?

Possibly but it will have the same exact result of the Weber offersheet.

The Couturier Effect 02-18-2014 10:59 PM

No. Can't front load contracts anymore because of the new CBA.

WelcomeToGirouxSalem 02-18-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 80107555)

But we can still offer Subban more than MTL wants to offer him

BillyShoe1721 02-18-2014 11:02 PM

Montreal will match anything.

LegionOfDoom91 02-18-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelcomeToGirouxSalem (Post 80107579)

It doesn't matter Montreal won't let him walk away with a offer sheet, a trade between the two teams would be more likely if anything but I still wouldn't get my hopes of Subban being a Flyer.

Beef Invictus 02-18-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 80107639)
Montreal will match anything.

Yep, they have to.

PropJoe 02-18-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 80107555)

New CBA prohibits this and also has the problem of term limits. Can't sign a guy to contract any longer than 8 years I believe. This was how Weber justified his offer sheet to Nashville fans, it was his opportunity to cash in on a long term deal before the new CBA arrived. So basically you'd have to give Subban like 10-12 million dollars a year for MTL not to match.

The most likely scenario for acquiring Subban (slim as opposed to no chance) is through a trade, where, we would be, justifiably, giving up significant assets.

The Couturier Effect 02-18-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelcomeToGirouxSalem (Post 80107579)

Yes, but Montreal will have no problem matching. They're not going to let their franchise player go without getting something in return. Just like Nashville did with Weber.

Beef Invictus 02-18-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropJoe (Post 80107709)
New CBA prohibits this and also has the problem of term limits. Can't sign a guy to contract any longer than 8 years I believe. This was how Weber justified his offer sheet to Nashville fans, it was his opportunity to cash in on a long term deal before the new CBA arrived.

The most likely scenario for acquiring Subban (slim as opposed to no chance) is through a trade, where, we would be, justifiably, giving up significant assets.

In our case, it is likely 7 years because we don't already have him.

Also, Montreal deserves to have his price driven up if they let him get offer sheeted.

WelcomeToGirouxSalem 02-18-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropJoe (Post 80107709)
So basically you'd have to give Subban like 10-12 million dollars a year for MTL not to match.

It wouldn't surprise me if Holmgren offered that.

LegionOfDoom91 02-18-2014 11:11 PM

While on the subject of a trade for Subban my opinion is that of the same for Weber, they're both great players but not worth acquiring because they both would gut our team to bring them here making it counterproductive.

The Couturier Effect 02-18-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelcomeToGirouxSalem (Post 80107799)
It wouldn't surprise me if Holmgren offered that.

Homer has made some pretty bone-headed decisions, but he's not THAT dumb.

PropJoe 02-18-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 80107835)
While on the subject of a trade for Subban my opinion is that of the same for Weber, they're both great players but not worth acquiring because they both would gut our team to bring them here making it counterproductive.

We're not really a team in a position to make this type of acquisition, although I'm sure that won't stop management from trying. When you have a weak farm system acquiring top end talent is exceedingly more difficult than otherwise.

The Couturier Effect 02-18-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 80107835)

Exactly. The only way the Flyers are going to get a #1 d-man is by developing one in their system or overpaying in a trade, which they can't afford to do right now.

EDIT: Or if some stupid team lets one hit free agency like Nashville did with Suter. Not likely though...

LegionOfDoom91 02-18-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropJoe (Post 80107899)
We're not really a team in a position to make this type of acquisition, although I'm sure that won't stop management from trying. When you have a weak farm system acquiring top end talent is exceedingly more difficult than otherwise.

Well if a trade were to happen we're likely giving up at least two of Couturier, B. Schenn, Simmonds, or Voracek plus some more to bring a Weber or Subban here. It would likely gut our youth on the roster as well as the little we have in our farm system.

PropJoe 02-18-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 80108085)
Well if a trade were to happen we're likely giving up Couturier & B. Schenn plus some more to bring a Weber or Subban here. It would likely gut our youth on the roster as well as the little we have in our farm system.

Right, you can at times afford to give up the good young players on your roster if you have suitable replacements outside the NHL. Weak farm systems cripple organizations ability to be flexible and flexibility is key when you're negotiating a trade.

LegionOfDoom91 02-18-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 80107905)
Exactly. The only way the Flyers are going to get a #1 d-man is by developing one in their system or overpaying in a trade, which they can't afford to do right now.

EDIT: Or if some stupid team lets one hit free agency like Nashville did with Suter. Not likely though...

I'm not really worried about it to be honest. Homer will get stonewalled this summer looking for a top defensemen via trade. He got Pronger while not paying an arm & leg but balked at other offers for defensemen that were too high (Weber & Yandle specifically).

Flyerfan4life 02-18-2014 11:35 PM

do not want...

The Couturier Effect 02-19-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 80108373)
I'm not really worried about it to be honest. Homer will get stonewalled this summer looking for a top defensemen via trade. He got Pronger while not paying an arm & leg but balked at other offers for defensemen that were too high (Weber & Yandle specifically).

Yeah I'm not either. He's been pretty responsible with trades lately...

Meatwagon 02-19-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 80107695)
Yep, they have to.

Jebus, your avatar is frightening. Never knew I would be so startled by a lunch meat:laugh:

TheKingPin 02-19-2014 12:46 AM

No way. We need to let subban be a RFA have mtl qualify him and then sign him in a year as a ufa. He knows he will get paid if he does that.

GoneFullHextall 02-19-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 80108385)
do not want...

offsheet aside you dont want Subban on the Flyers?

why?

Blackhawkswincup 02-19-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 80107905)

Not really fair for Preds

They tried to bring Suter back ,, He wanted to leave

Nothing they could have done especially with him and Parise wanting to be NBA version of Lebron/Bosh/Wade

dingbathero 02-19-2014 06:25 AM

no for Subban. Stay away from him. HE is a flashy offensive guy, we NEED A DDDDDDDDDDDDDfenseman.