HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   11 Players Elect Salary Arbitration (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=161139)

flames45us 08-10-2005 05:21 PM

11 Players Elect Salary Arbitration

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3454

Hedberg 08-10-2005 05:23 PM

The Players Are:
Dallas- Brendan Morrow
Edmonton- Shawn Horcoff
NY Islanders- Trent Hunter
NY Islanders- Justin Papineau
NY Islanders- Brent Sopel
NY Islanders- Mike York
Ottawa- Marian Hossa
Pittsburgh- Dick Tarnstrom
Pittsburgh- Josef Melichar
Phoenix- Paul Mara
Vancouver- Mattias Ohlund

Milbury is in for a fun week.

Captain Ron 08-10-2005 05:24 PM

Bad news for Vancouver and Ottawa. :cry:

ArtG 08-10-2005 05:26 PM

Well I guess it's good that we got something for Sopel at least...

Cloned 08-10-2005 05:27 PM

I thought York already signed a deal with the Islanders? :dunno: I'm interested as an Oiler fan what he'll get.

Horcoff shouldn't get significantly more than 1M, IMO.

Verbeek 08-10-2005 05:29 PM

Awe come on Dick Tarnstrom... hmm, I wonder to what he'll be rewarded with.. top 10 in scoring for D-men... I don't like it.

Ziggy Stardust 08-10-2005 05:30 PM

What the hell is Justin Papineau's agent thinking electing to go through arbitration? He may be able to score in the AHL but he has no case if his arguement is based on his NHL numbers.
Wonder what the Isles are offering and what Papineau's side is requesting.

Reaper45 08-10-2005 05:30 PM

All of those guys are due a pretty good arbitration reward.

nikolai19 08-10-2005 05:32 PM

I'm wondering if Frolov ends up on that list.

Captain Ron 08-10-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19
I'm wondering if Frolov ends up on that list.

Frolov cant get arbitration yet. Need 4 years of service.

He has 2 options. Take what Kings give him or stay in Russia.

boredmale 08-10-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
What the hell is Justin Papineau's agent thinking electing to go through arbitration? He may be able to score in the AHL but he has no case if his arguement is based on his NHL numbers.
Wonder what the Isles are offering and what Papineau's side is requesting.

he didn't even score in the AHL last year, he had 34 points in 59 games. Anything more then league minimium is a waste.

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-10-2005 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale
he didn't even score in the AHL last year, he had 34 points in 59 games. Anything more then league minimium is a waste.

what bout Melcihar?? he only scored 3 goals 5 assist in 82 games on a team with Mario. Wow that is bad.

boredmale 08-10-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
what bout Melcihar?? he only scored 3 goals 5 assist in 82 games on a team with Mario. Wow that is bad.

in his and Papineau's case they are probably being offered league minimium and figure what do they have to lose.

The Mars Volchenkov 08-10-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Bad news for Vancouver and Ottawa. :cry:

I don't think so. The Sens will try to get all the guys they need under contract before Hossa and then they'll see how much room they have left. If he goes to arbitration, it's not a big deal, because I don't expect him coming out with Iginla type money.

AD 08-10-2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

in his and Papineau's case they are probably being offered league minimium and figure what do they have to lose.

smart post dude.. I didn't even think of that... :propeller

handtrick 08-10-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

The arbitration process can create some serious ill-will between a player and an organization.....usually a player only files if there is some serious money discrepancy...not because they figure what do they have to lose....

boredmale 08-10-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
The arbitration process can create some serious ill-will between a player and an organization.....usually a player only files if there is some serious money discrepancy...not because they figure what do they have to lose....

I understand what you saying but if a player if getting offered league minimium by his team, why not try get more in an arbitration case. In the case of Papineau, he really has no leverage since the Islanders control his rights and i can't see them offering anything over 500,000.

bure94 08-10-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGuy
I don't think so. The Sens will try to get all the guys they need under contract before Hossa and then they'll see how much room they have left. If he goes to arbitration, it's not a big deal, because I don't expect him coming out with Iginla type money.

Arbitration either judges for the GM or the player, no in between apparantly.

So if Hossa's case is strong enough, (the points are there), he could win the case and OTT will be forced to pay him 7m.

As for Vancouver, I think we're fine somewhat considering the Sedins signed for 1.25 each instead of the 1.5 we thought (and deserved) ... I think Ohlund will get 3.5ish for 2-3years.

Evilo 08-10-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41

Melichar's attributes aren't scoring.
Which means he should get killed in arbitration.
But players filing for arbitration doesn't necessarily mean they'll get there. But it's a good way to avoid a holdout.

Still Tarnstrom worries me.

The Mars Volchenkov 08-10-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bure94

So if Hossa's case is strong enough, (the points are there), he could win the case and OTT will be forced to pay him 7m.

But there are even stronger points to suggest he'll get around the $5 million range, especially with what Hejduk signed for.

Of course, it'd be great if the Sens could get a deal done before arbitration.

handtrick 08-10-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

I understand what you saying but if a player if getting offered league minimium by his team, why not try get more in an arbitration case. In the case of Papineau, he really has no leverage since the Islanders control his rights and i can't see them offering anything over 500,000.

With the new two way system..they take the players or the GM's mumber, not inbetween as years before. If the Isles offered league minimum at $450k and he gets greedy and says wants $900k...they'll prob give it to the GM. If he goes reasonable..say $700k.....and gets it for one year.....was that $250k worth the potential backlash and ill-will.....I don't know....that is what a player has to weigh...

Captain Ron 08-10-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

As for Vancouver, I think we're fine somewhat considering the Sedins signed for 1.25 each instead of the 1.5 we thought (and deserved) ... I think Ohlund will get 3.5ish for 2-3years.

I think you can only get up to a 2 year contract in arbitration.

kdb209 08-10-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Not true. There was speculation pre-CBA that they would go to baseball style arbitration - arbiter picks one number or the other, nothing in between - howver from all that I've read/heard that is not the case. Things have not changed (except for 2-way, team initiated arbitration, and a change in the eligibility criteria) - the arbiter is still free to award any number he wishes.

Vic Rattlehead* 08-10-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

If Thornton signs the 6.5 million dollar per year deal, Hossa won't get 7 million.

boredmale 08-10-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
With the new two way system..they take the players or the GM's mumber, not inbetween as years before. If the Isles offered league minimum at $450k and he gets greedy and says wants $900k...they'll prob give it to the GM. If he goes reasonable..say $700k.....and gets it for one year.....was that $250k worth the potential backlash and ill-will.....I don't know....that is what a player has to weigh...

If he gets anything over 650,000, i would just not sign him(i assume the owners have the right to refuse like the bruins did with Berard)