HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Darnell Nurse takes top spot in Edmonton Oilers Top 20 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1611439)

HF Article 02-25-2014 03:15 PM

Darnell Nurse takes top spot in Edmonton Oilers Top 20

In this spring update, the Oilers’ Top 20 rankings saw the graduations of Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, leaving future franchise defenseman Darnell Nurse to lead the charge.

The Oilers’ defensive pipeline continues to be their strongest asset, with two promising power forward prospects rounding out the top five. Other developments to note include the re-emergence of Tyler Pitlick, who made a big push to crack the Oilers’ lineup this year. Newcomer Greg Chase has certainly turned heads this season and recently-acquired netminder Laurent Brossoit may be the high-caliber goaltending prospect the Oilers have sought for years.

1. (3) Darnell Nurse, D, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 7th overall, 2013

With the recent graduations mentioned above, 19-year-old Darnell Nurse now heads the list of Oilers prospects.… read more

More...

AlowlyOilersfan 02-25-2014 03:41 PM

Kinda hoping that Musil and Hamilton(Curtis) both get moved.

Chase might up end being that top six agitator, who knows?

okgooil 02-25-2014 03:43 PM

A bit surprised to see Marincin ahead of Klefbom, but, other than that no surprises.

Side not but when is HF going to update their prospect list. Seems weird to have players almost done their second year still at the top of the list.

Joey Moss 02-25-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 80488633)
A bit surprised to see Marincin ahead of Klefbom, but, other than that no surprises.

Side not but when is HF going to update their prospect list. Seems weird to have players almost done their second year still at the top of the list.

The way he has played for the Oilers how can you not have him ahead of Klefbom? Props to the writer for putting him ahead. It's not even that Klefbom is busting, it's just Marincin's stock has risen that much. He's making Klefbom expendable IMO.

I have to say, I really like our prospect pool. Let's hope we can add some more picks this trade deadline.

fuswald 02-25-2014 04:31 PM

What ever happened to Taylor Fedun? Played 4 games got 2 goals and seems to have disappeared off everybody's radar. In the 4 games he was only -1 which at that time was awesome for an oiler.

Aerchon 02-25-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuswald (Post 80490719)
What ever happened to Taylor Fedun? Played 4 games got 2 goals and seems to have disappeared off everybody's radar. In the 4 games he was only -1 which at that time was awesome for an oiler.

He made some obvious errors and generally was weak in his own end. Nothing terrible but enough to send him back down with others coming up.

He has been the Barons clear cut #1 this year tho. I am very curious to see if we keep him next year. I think the Oilers are trying to avoid any more one dimensional offensive defensemen so I don't really expect him to stay with this organization.

But.

He has obviously earned a shot in someone's system I would think. Just not sure who's.

okgooil 02-25-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 80490463)
The way he has played for the Oilers how can you not have him ahead of Klefbom? Props to the writer for putting him ahead. It's not even that Klefbom is busting, it's just Marincin's stock has risen that much. He's making Klefbom expendable IMO.

I have to say, I really like our prospect pool. Let's hope we can add some more picks this trade deadline.

don't get me wrong, I like Marincin, but he has hardly been a stand out. He has been pleasantly decent. he is two years older than Klefbom, I still see klef has having bigger upside.

Aerchon 02-25-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 80491251)
don't get me wrong, I like Marincin, but he has hardly been a stand out. He has been pleasantly decent. he is two years older than Klefbom, I still see klef has having bigger upside.

I have the urge to yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! HARDLY BEEN A STAND OUT!!!"

He statistically has been the best Oiler D-man over the last 20 games. Leads the Oilers in plus minus, corsi, etc...

Has not been flashy true. But his skating, positioning, and stick work has been sublime. He is known as a offensive defenseman... and is looking great defensively. The offense will come and so will his size and strength. I am trying my best not to get too excited cause its waaaaay too early to say how much more he could improve or regress.

Had a good showing at the Olympics by all accounts.

As it stands, and as his new 7.5B rating shows, he has a very good chance for a long NHL career. Top pairing, unlikely. Mid pairing, looking good. Bottom pairing, atm good enough for any NHL team.

okgooil 02-25-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerchon (Post 80491795)
I have the urge to yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! HARDLY BEEN A STAND OUT!!!"

He statistically has been the best Oiler D-man over the last 20 games. Leads the Oilers in plus minus, corsi, etc...

Has not been flashy true. But his skating, positioning, and stick work has been sublime. He is known as a offensive defenseman... and is looking great defensively. The offense will come and so will his size and strength. I am trying my best not to get too excited cause its waaaaay too early to say how much more he could improve or regress.

Had a good showing at the Olympics by all accounts.

As it stands, and as his new 7.5B rating shows, he has a very good chance for a long NHL career. Top pairing, unlikely. Mid pairing, looking good. Bottom pairing, atm good enough for any NHL team.

2 points in 22 games, over the stretch were we have finally gotten good goaltending, which explains a lot of his +/-. I mean he has been solid, I don't think he has been our best D man. His skating is still week, he looks week. Not sure what to make of him to be honest. He is a pleasant surprise and I have high hopes for him, but, I am not that high on him.

Panda Bear 02-25-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 80492365)
2 points in 22 games, over the stretch were we have finally gotten good goaltending, which explains a lot of his +/-. I mean he has been solid, I don't think he has been our best D man. His skating is still week, he looks week. Not sure what to make of him to be honest. He is a pleasant surprise and I have high hopes for him, but, I am not that high on him.

This is the first time that I have ever heard someone accuse Marincin of poor skating. I'm including every single scout report, second-hand account, or poorly-formed third-hand guess that I've read since his draft.

We're lucky that he can skate so damn well for his size.

okgooil 02-25-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda Bear (Post 80492495)
This is the first time that I have ever heard someone accuse Marincin of poor skating. I'm including every single scout report, second-hand account, or poorly-formed third-hand guess that I've read since his draft.

We're lucky that he can skate so damn well for his size.

good skater for his size yes, but, good skater over all? not so sure. He is pretty lanky. I hope he grows into his body.

I am not trying to get down on him at all. I really like him. Just think Klefbom has higher upside and will be a more complete player.

Master Lok 02-25-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 80490463)

Considering how thin the Oilers defense is - Marincin hasn't made Klefbom "expendable". He's just leapfrogged him in the standings but Klefbom is still entirely necessary part of the Oilers future.

People have such black and white opinions - expendable or a star.

Smartguy 02-25-2014 05:38 PM

Like the look of our prospect pool with many of our top players addressing needs such as size and defense, curious to see what comes of moroz, very questionable pick in the second round but is showing this year at least he has the offense to back up his toughness, really hoping he can keep it up the team could really use a player like him

Joey Moss 02-25-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Lok (Post 80492945)
Considering how thin the Oilers defense is - Marincin hasn't made Klefbom "expendable". He's just leapfrogged him in the standings but Klefbom is still entirely necessary part of the Oilers future.

People have such black and white opinions - expendable or a star.

You just pointed out the reason the Oilers can afford to trade one of them.. we are thin on defense. Why would we keep bringing up rookies if we're looking to improve the team right now? If you look at our defense, J. Schultz, Petry and Ference are probably the only ones you'd bring back. So that means we need at least two more defenseman brought in via trade/free agency. That also means 1 spot for one of Marincin/Nurse/Klefbom which means two of them stay in junior/AHL. The following season you can probably afford to bring up another but I seriously doubt we will be able to break all of them into this team over the next two seasons.. If we do, it probably means we still haven't improved. And do we really want to keep any of them out of the NHL for that long? They are all close to NHL ready right now. Trade one of them in a package for something significant and start building a winning team right now IMO.

Aerchon 02-25-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 80492807)
good skater for his size yes, but, good skater over all? not so sure. He is pretty lanky. I hope he grows into his body.

I am not trying to get down on him at all. I really like him. Just think Klefbom has higher upside and will be a more complete player.

He was second in the Oilers skill competition for fastest skater only a bit behind Hall.

Draft pedigree they are very similar prospects.

Klefbom had a ridicules amount of hype because of his world junior showing and play in SEL. If he matches that hype we will have a #1 in him... I think everyone's expectations have been tempered a bit with Klef. Injuries really derailed his career so far and there is just no way to know if that hasn't permanently hampered his top end potential. Still a player there most likely but from all account Maracin is already taken a big step in the NHL where as Klefbom may never play an NHL game. Should, but no guarantees.

The Nuge 02-25-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 80488539)
Kinda hoping that Musil and Hamilton(Curtis) both get moved.

Chase might up end being that top six agitator, who knows?

I get Hamilton, but why would you want to move Musil? I get making him available if a team wants him, but to try and deal him? That makes no sense

Mozesmadness 02-25-2014 06:53 PM

First off, anybody saying Marincin has been average clearly dosnt know what they are talking about he has been our best D-man over the last 20 games.

As for the list I really like it, this is by far the happiest I have been with our prospect pool in some time.

I've said it many times but how the heck did we Chase in the 7th round. Steal.

I think Musil is too high and Gernat and Chase to low.

Also I'm pretty sure Khaira is a centre, he played it at the Super Series and I'm 90% sure he does in Everett, I would ,are sure he stays there in OKC next year.

Valic 02-25-2014 07:08 PM

I personally like that there are some realistic (lower) ratings for prospects round here lately.

thadd 02-25-2014 08:04 PM

I'm baffled and feel that I've been trolled after reading this.

Nurse - His rating by HFboards hasn't changed, but his offensive numbers have increased more than anyone could have imagined.

Marincin - They're making it sound like he's just barely making it in the NHL, while he's arguably been our best defenseman this year.

Klefbom - They talk about him having a disappointing season but fail to mention that he was injured for almost all of last season, don't talk about what a great job he's done to improve his physical play, positioning and the fact that he's been a one of the bright spots for the Barrons blueline since Marincin left.

Pitlick - Makes it sound like he doesn't appreciate what he brings to the Oilers in the least. He's exactly what Edmonton needs. He's big, skates very well and is the first guy to go into the dirty areas.

Gernat - And what natural ability are you referring to? The writer needs to be a lot more precise. Sounds like he's never watched Gernat play before and at this point I'm doubting that this guy ever watches or Oilers or the Barrons play.

Talk about epic fail.

Lindo 02-25-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 80500077)

Nurse - His rating by HFboards hasn't changed, but his offensive numbers have increased more than anyone could have imagined.

Marincin - They're making it sound like he's just barely making it in the NHL, while he's arguably been our best defenseman this year.

Klefbom - They talk about him having a disappointing season but fail to mention that he was injured for almost all of last season, don't talk about what a great job he's done to improve his physical play, positioning and the fact that he's been a one of the bright spots for the Barrons blueline since Marincin left.

Pitlick - Makes it sound like he doesn't appreciate what he brings to the Oilers in the least. He's exactly what Edmonton needs. He's big, skates very well and is the first guy to go into the dirty areas.

Gernat - And what natural ability are you referring to? The writer needs to be a lot more precise. Sounds like he's never watched Gernat play before and at this point I'm doubting that this guy ever watches or Oilers or the Barrons play.

Talk about epic fail.

To add to this, I'm pretty sure Gernat plays with Fedun, and Fedun is not sheltered at all.

dnicks17 02-25-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiahjones (Post 80500503)
To add to this, I'm pretty sure Gernat plays with Fedun, and Fedun is not sheltered at all.

Yeah, he's been playing on the top pairing with Fedun for a while now.

Jarvi 02-25-2014 08:42 PM

I will be the first to admit that with some of the "lesser known" prospects I have very little knowledge, basically the first rounders I know decently. What are people's thoughts on Moroz over Khaira? I know they had the same rating, just figured the lists order had to have some meaning... And at the beginning of the year people were raving about Khaira, I know Moroz has put up some nice numbers this year though. Moroz from what I remember was a very criticized pick.

Are people coming around to him? Does he look like he has a legit future here? Between the two who do you figure could actually make an impact and at what capacity?

Just some stuff I have been wondering because from the little I know, if either of these guys pans out, they seem like they could be exactly what we need. Just wanna know where to set my expectations.

dem 02-25-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 80500077)

Talk about epic fail.

Nurses numbers "more than anyone could have imagined"... Seriously?

.6 to .8 ppg is pretty much exactly what you would expect.

Take those homer goggles off. You're putting an overly positive hf fanboy spin on all of those players.

Mr Positive 02-25-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozesmadness (Post 80497029)
First off, anybody saying Marincin has been average clearly dosnt know what they are talking about he has been our best D-man over the last 20 games.

As for the list I really like it, this is by far the happiest I have been with our prospect pool in some time.

I've said it many times but how the heck did we Chase in the 7th round. Steal.

I think Musil is too high and Gernat and Chase to low.

Also I'm pretty sure Khaira is a centre, he played it at the Super Series and I'm 90% sure he does in Everett, I would ,are sure he stays there in OKC next year.

Khaira converted to center at the start of this season.

thadd 02-25-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem (Post 80503683)
Nurses numbers "more than anyone could have imagined"... Seriously?

.6 to .8 ppg is pretty much exactly what you would expect.

Take those homer goggles off. You're putting an overly positive hf fanboy spin on all of those players.

Come up to the draft I didn't think that we were drafting a big offensive beast. I thought we were getting a tough punisher with limited offence and I honestly didn't expect to see his offence rise this much.