HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lane Macdermid Retires (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1611619)

Dtb1381 02-25-2014 09:05 PM

Lane Macdermid Retires

Just thought it was thread worthy for us because many of us thought he was the heir apparent to Thornton. Tweets have said he lost the passion to play. Surprising news. Kid had the ability to be a regular 4th liner in NHL. Light Heavy skills for sure, could play pk (not great) but in a pinch and a decent body checker. All the moving around he has had to deal with over the last two years was probably to much. Boston, Providence, dallas, texas (whatever city the ahl stars play in) Calgary and abbotsford. I would think Providence would have welcomed him back with open arms if the flames allowed it. I defienitley wouldn't give up assets for him, but to have him continue playing would be nice. Must really not like it though, if his father being a 12 year NHL veteran couldn't even talk him out of it. Best of luck Lane.

GordonHowe 02-25-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtb1381 (Post 80502983)
Just thought it was thread worthy for us because many of us thought he was the heir apparent to Thornton. Tweets have said he lost the passion to play. Surprising news. Kid had the ability to be a regular 4th liner in NHL. Light Heavy skills for sure, could play pk (not great) but in a pinch and a decent body checker. All the moving around he has had to deal with over the last two years was probably to much. Boston, Providence, dallas, texas (whatever city the ahl stars play in) Calgary and abbotsford. I would think Providence would have welcomed him back with open arms if the flames allowed it. I defienitley wouldn't give up assets for him, but to have him continue playing would be nice. Must really not like it though, if his father being a 12 year NHL veteran couldn't even talk him out of it. Best of luck Lane.

Don't know anything but sorry to hear this,

:(

Dellstrom 02-25-2014 09:14 PM

Wow. I really liked him.

Too bad. Best of luck to Lane.

CDJ 02-25-2014 09:14 PM

Seems like he was eventually gonna stick if he wanted it. More power to him for doing what he whats.

acr* 02-25-2014 09:48 PM

He probably saw the role he's typecast in and the results of years of fighting on the brain and said no thanks.

David Krejci* 02-25-2014 09:50 PM

People who always used to say "blah blah call up Macdermid" any time there was an anticipated ugly game coming up, really annoyed me. As if there was even .09% chance they would do that.

Anyway, weird to see him just retire, hopefully for him he doesn't have some kind of depression, I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully he truly is just burnt out and finds something fulfilling elsewhere.

Shaun 02-25-2014 09:54 PM

blah blah call up macdermid for the game tomorrow in buffalo. could get chippy.

Oates2Neely 02-25-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Krejci (Post 80504749)
People who always used to say "blah blah call up Macdermid" any time there was an anticipated ugly game coming up, really annoyed me. As if there was even .09% chance they would do that.

Anyway, weird to see him just retire, hopefully for him he doesn't have some kind of depression, I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully he truly is just burnt out and finds something fulfilling elsewhere.

Apparently you did not watch much hockey in the 80's

PatriceBergeronFan 02-25-2014 10:10 PM

Just weird.

David Krejci* 02-25-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oates2Neely (Post 80505159)
Apparently you did not watch much hockey in the 80's

I didn't realize we were in the 80s. My mistake.

BostonBob 02-25-2014 10:51 PM

from matchsticksandgasoline.com:

Sad news out of the Flames front office today as Pat Steinberg reports that Lane MacDermid, the 24-year-old acquired from the Dallas Stars in November for a 6th round pick, has filed his retirement papers. According to Conroy, he'd lost his enthusiasm for hockey and has decided to pack it in at a very young age, choosing to focus on other things.

The Lane MacDermid situation got a little clearer. He's officially filed his retirement papers, according to Craig Conroy. #Flames
Pat Steinberg (@Fan960Steinberg) February 26, 2014

Conroy told us MacDermid had lost his passion to play, so is moving on from his hockey career. #Flames
Pat Steinberg (@Fan960Steinberg) February 26, 2014

Pretty rough to hear a 24-year-old call it quits on a hockey career. I'm not sure if we'll get any more details about what happened, but it's clear MacDermid has had time to think about this and doesn't feel like continuing in the AHL/NHL is what he wants.

MacDermid spent small parts of three seasons in the NHL with the Flames, Stars and the Boston Bruins, playing a total of 21 games and accumulating four points (2G, 2A) and 36 penalty minutes. He spent the rest of his time in the OHL and later in the AHL, packing on a lot of PIM. Notably, he was traded from Boston to Dallas in 2013 for Jaromir Jagr (18 years older than MacDermid and still playing!).

All the best to Lane, and fingers crossed that this isn't a case of the Flames stomping on young aspirations.

Bruinsforlife89 02-25-2014 10:57 PM

Sad to see lane the destroyer retire. Will miss him.

GloveSave1 02-25-2014 11:03 PM

Nice work, Chia. Good read.

I liked the kid. But a tough guy without a love for the game? Come on. That had to show.

Way to bail before the cliff.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 02-25-2014 11:09 PM

I would not play pro hockey for what AHL players make.

Remember most of this board though Carl Soderberg was a bad person and was soft and entitled and selfish for the best part of a decade becuase he didn't want to live in Prov Rhode Island and wanted to earn 3-4x as much back in Sweden.

How are people surprised a kid doesn't want to get into bareknuckle fist fights with other journeymen enforcers in the AHL for 40k a year? Lol that sounds as appealing as selling life insurance door to door.

bigbadbruins7 02-25-2014 11:15 PM

Sad to hear but hopes he made the decision for the right reasons and finds something fulfilling for his future. Wish him all the best of luck

GloveSave1 02-25-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshmontMcSlewfoot (Post 80507399)
I would not play pro hockey for what AHL players make.

Remember most of this board though Carl Soderberg was a bad person and was soft and entitled and selfish for the best part of a decade becuase he didn't want to live in Prov Rhode Island and wanted to earn 3-4x as much back in Sweden.

How are people surprised a kid doesn't want to get into bareknuckle fist fights with other journeymen enforcers in the AHL for 40k a year? Lol that sounds as appealing as selling life insurance door to door.

Sucks to come all the way to almost making the big time, and then give up.

From what I saw Lane wasn't without skill. He could do other things out there, chip in. That's why he was almost there. In the little we saw of him, he chipped in on the scoreboard a few times that I recall.

But you are probably exactly right. He probably looked at it as you do, just stupid AHL hockey, fighting guys for a normal wage.

Most of those guys prob don't see it that way. They love the game. The bros. The other aspects of the game they work on and try to help out with.

Not having that. Like I said, Chia must have had a sense when interacting with him. It's just not there.

I guess he could only fake interest so long.

It's all worth it, if you truly love the game.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 02-25-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloveSave1 (Post 80507941)
Sucks to come all the way to almost making the big time, and then give up.

From what I saw Lane wasn't without skill. He could do other things out there, chip in. That's why he was almost there. In the little we saw of him, he chipped in on the scoreboard a few times thay I recall.

But you are probably exactly right. He probably looked at it as you do, just stupid AHL hockey, fighting guys for a normal wage.

Most of those guys prob don't see it that way. They love the game. The bros. The other aspects of the game they work on and try to help out with.

Not having that. Like I said, Chia must have had a sense when interacting with him. It's just not there.

I guess he could only fake interest so long.

It's all worth it, if you truly love the game.

Yeah, he had 2 shots at sticking with 2 weak franchises in Calgary and Dallas though and could not. I think he probably picked a good time to give up, if Dallas and Calgary both are going to bury him in the minors and he isn't going to get a 1-way deal from anyone next season why keep playing in the AHL?

Maybe he wants to use the $ he has from those recent NHL paychecks to start a business?

Remember he doesn't get much icetime to score and put up points, so making it to a guy like McDermid means eating extra haymakers from another pro hockey player who fights grown men with bare knuckles for a living.

finchster 02-25-2014 11:37 PM

I can't believe Chiarelli didn't give him a chance!!! Stupid Clode :sarcasm:

GarbageGoal 02-25-2014 11:37 PM

His goal was to buy everyone's contract and run the team his way. He'd make a fortune.

Grasshopperking 02-25-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloveSave1 (Post 80507213)
Nice work, Chia. Good read.

:laugh:

Yep. You went there

MioneRask134 02-26-2014 04:04 AM

Sad he lost the passion. I loved watching him in Prov. The guy was a beast. And he was a pretty solid 4th liner. I thought for sure he'd take Thortys spot. Good luck to him in his post hockey career.

CptxMorgan 02-26-2014 06:43 AM

Shame, not only could he scrap, but he was a very solid player. Was a staple on the PK in PRO and didn't look overmatched at all in the NHL. Also, hard not to love a guy who challenges Mike ****ing Rupp in his first game.

Kovi 02-26-2014 06:54 AM

good for him for knowing what he wants and knowing when it isnt working.

Malt 02-26-2014 07:03 AM

To my eyes, MacDermid never seemed comfortable in the enforcer role. He had the size and strength to be a light heavy but he never seemed to "enjoy" the battles. When you look at the other Providence Bruins tough guys over the past few years--from Orr to MacIntyre to Robins and Randell, they all seem to accept and embrace their roles. I never got that impression from Lane.

Best of luck to him.

Alicat 02-26-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovi (Post 80513693)
good for him for knowing what he wants and knowing when it isnt working.

Spot on. I applaud him for walking away on his own terms.

Wishing him all the best in everything he does.