HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Speculation: David Legwand - UFA (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1611755)

AtlantaWhaler 02-26-2014 07:20 AM

David Legwand - UFA

Figured this is getting big enough to warrant its own thread. With the trade deadline looming, Legwand appears to be the biggest news (aside from a returning Rinne) out of Nashville. The latest: An article posted by both jntarheels and Everlong:

Quote:

As of late last week, though, the veteran center said he had not heard word one from anyone in Nashville Predators management regarding his future, either with this team or any other.
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/posts...ine_approaches

However...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 80505123)
Poile was talking to Willy D and George Plaster this afternoon. In a discussion about the trade deadline and Leggy's impending UFA status, Poile said he spoken with Leggy several times in the last week. Poile didn't offer any insight to details of the conversation. I'll bet that part of those discussions addressed Leggy's no trade clause and a list of teams he would be willing to waive his right to be traded.

The rest was typical of Poile's cautious approach at the trade deadline. Preds aren't going for a blockbuster trade because of the reduced salary cap. Looking for the right fit for the future. Need to upgrade the offense. Keeping the defense as is - not looking to trade any of the defense (though he left Bartley of the list of PMDs). The Preds best trade deadline acquisition could be Pekka.

Personally, I think he gets moved for a 1st or an organization's top-3 forward prospect (most likely not top, though).

PFL615 02-26-2014 07:39 AM

I've seen articles about Detroit media wanting him especially with Zetterberg out.

I wonder why their are two completely different stories?

AtlantaWhaler 02-26-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFL615 (Post 80513461)

Great question....

WartracePred 02-26-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFL615 (Post 80513461)
I've seen articles about Detroit media wanting him especially with Zetterberg out.

Don't think there are different stories. The first report was "as of last week". I posted that Poile had conversations during the last week. Sounds like Poile waited to talk with Leggy until the last 5-7 days.

Enoch 02-26-2014 08:11 AM

If you aren't signing him, I think you have to trade him.

braindead 02-26-2014 08:57 AM

Or piss him off so much that he vetoes all trades just to stick it in your good eye.

PredsV82 02-26-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 80514939)
Or piss him off so much that he vetoes all trades just to stick it in your good eye.

Poile actually has a history of treating players well. I think until recently he truly didnt know what he was going to do with Legwand. If we had been clearly out of the playoffs, its an easier decision.

Vladys Gumption 02-26-2014 12:37 PM

He guys, Blues fan in peace. We've been discussing center options over on our board and Legwand's name is one that's come up a lot. Seems to be a fairly agreed upon target. What do you think the asking price would be for him if the Blues came calling?

BigFatCat999 02-26-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 80523249)
He guys, Blues fan in peace. We've been discussing center options over on our board and Legwand's name is one that's come up a lot. Seems to be a fairly agreed upon target. What do you think the asking price would be for him if the Blues came calling?

Spitballing, 1st and 2nd from the Blues. Detroit would have interest and their 1st would be 10-15 places higher on the 1st board.

AtlantaWhaler 02-26-2014 01:09 PM

I really don't see Legwand being dealt within the division.

Nothing Is New 02-26-2014 02:32 PM

Detroit does seem like a logical destination. First or better, Anthony Mantha.

Armourboy 02-26-2014 04:53 PM

I'm guessing the conversation included Poile telling him he is an UFA, and if a team makes a good offer he reasonably couldn't be expected not to take it.

My guess is, playing as long as he has, Legwand knows the business and then handed him a list of teams he would be willing to go to.

I guess the big question is if Poile saw Legwand in the future plans, and if he didn't, he has to trade him imo.

PFL615 02-26-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 80513605)
Don't think there are different stories. The first report was "as of last week". I posted that Poile had conversations during the last week. Sounds like Poile waited to talk with Leggy until the last 5-7 days.

I see that now. Threw me off that a conversation as of "late last week" was just wrote about yesterday (Tuesday). The author should of checked again to clarify before writing about a possibly 6 day old conversation.

WartracePred 02-26-2014 10:40 PM

McKenzie intimating that Kesler is available. What about Leggy plus a pick and/or prospect for him. Most guys wouldn't complain if traded to Vancouver, but Legwand would have to approve it. Trotz would love Kesler in Gold. Two years left at 5M each before becoming an UFA. Will Poile over pay with 2 years left on his contract?

Soundgarden 02-26-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 80560601)
McKenzie intimating that Kesler is available. What about Leggy plus a pick and/or prospect for him. Most guys wouldn't complain if traded to Vancouver, but Legwand would have to approve it. Trotz would love Kesler in Gold. Two years left at 5M each before becoming an UFA. Will Poile over pay with 2 years left on his contract?

Certainly Vancouver would be asking for younger players and picks/prospects. An unrestricted free agent who's older than Kesler and a pick will get out bid by someone in an instant.

WartracePred 02-26-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 80561205)
Certainly Vancouver would be asking for younger players and picks/prospects. An unrestricted free agent who's older than Kesler and a pick will get out bid by someone in an instant.

Just read on TSN they would want a 20-25 year old with the potential to grow into Kesler's role. How about Willy or Smith and Leggy??? Sign Legwand for a year or two while Wilson/Smith develops.

preds1 02-27-2014 09:35 AM

I don't think Legwand would waive for Vancouver simply due to geographical reasons.
Would love Kesler though.

PFL615 02-27-2014 01:37 PM

What happened to Poile and Legwand talking?

"We aren’t anywhere. Nothing has been said to either side. Obviously a stalemate, I guess,” Legwand said yesterday. “Obviously something has to be said to figure out where to start or where not to start, and nothing has been said.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ks-with-preds/

Peter Griffin 02-27-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WartracePred (Post 80561437)
Just read on TSN they would want a 20-25 year old with the potential to grow into Kesler's role. How about Willy or Smith and Leggy??? Sign Legwand for a year or two while Wilson/Smith develops.

They've already got the guy they feel can be the next Kesler in Bo Horvat. My guess is that if Kesler is dealt it will be for a potential high impact offensive forward. The Canucks biggest problem is scoring goals and they don't have a lot of players in the system that are projected as big goal scorers.

Everlong 02-27-2014 01:44 PM

Would be difficult to see Legs go, but if there's a deal to be made, I think it helps both sides. Smith/Wilson/FF would have to be involved I think. Not saying that's what will happen, but that's who Gillis will ask for.

AtlantaWhaler 02-27-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFL615 (Post 80588999)

"We aren’t anywhere. Nothing has been said to either side. Obviously a stalemate, I guess,” Legwand said yesterday. “Obviously something has to be said to figure out where to start or where not to start, and nothing has been said.”

Yikes....someone is fibbing...

AtlantaWhaler 02-27-2014 05:36 PM

From LeBrun's available players list:

David Legwand, Nashville Predators
Quote:

Given how few centers appear to be available, Legwand might fetch a reasonable return, if that's the direction that GM David Poile decides to go. The Preds are on the edge of the playoff discussion in the West, but given the team's history of losing players such as Ryan Suter and Dan Hamhuis to free agency and the young assets the Preds have sent away in bolstering for playoff runs the past few years, our guess is that Poile will see if there is a fit to move Legwand, who has a no-trade clause but would no doubt enjoy a shot at a Cup somewhere. An original Predator, Legwand is from the Detroit area and would be a nice fit for a Wings team that missed the boat with the Stephen Weiss signing and could use help down the middle. Legwand has had a nice campaign for the Preds with 10 goals and 40 points. His cap hit is a manageable $4.5 million.

Our guess: Detroit. And there would also be a chance for the Wings to keep Legwand beyond this season at a modest salary given his connection to the community.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10...ine-approaches

WartracePred 02-27-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFL615 (Post 80588999)

Given that Poile said on Tuesday that he had spoken with Legwand several times in the last week, sounds like Leggy and Poile are not on the same page. Maybe Legwand wants an offer to start negotiating and Poile isn't ready to provide one. That's the only interpretation I can deduce from Leggy's comment. Either way, looks like Poile wants to trade him, but Legwand must approve the deal because of the NTC. If the Preds really wanted him, they would've started contract negotiations months ago. And Legwand is fully aware of their intent or lack thereof.

deanwormer 02-28-2014 09:41 AM

If you take sentiment out of it, if Spaling is healthy you trade Leggy, regardless of our push for POs. It's a little tougher without Spals because we have to roll a second kid along with Moser and play Clune nightly - and that doesn't sound like a PO push even if we're in lockdown D mode.

Get Detroit's best deal, see if anyone wants to top it, tell Leggy that you'll do a 3yr 3rd line C deal in the offseason, and wish him luck in his hometown. It's both logical and the right thing, kinda' like Ottawa sending Fish here.

codeyh 02-28-2014 09:56 AM

can't let leggy walk for nothing. regardless of standings, it's time.