HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Waiver Draft, Argh, What's Going on? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16121)

Brock 10-01-2003 04:33 PM

Waiver Draft, Argh, What's Going on?

After going over the NHL team's protected lists and I can't help but be extremely confused over the choices some teams have made..

Just a few examples as I'm sure some of you have found your own.

The Oilers protecting NHL busts and now European league veterans Ralph Intranuovo and Alexander Zhurik over guys like Michael Henrich or Jan Horacek?

The Panthers protecting Paul Elliot, Scott Kelman, among others over Pavel Trnka or Jaroslav Bednar?

The Sharks protecting David Clouthier, Nisse Elkman, Travis Hansen over Todd Harvey or Miroslav Zalesak (a 23 year old who finally broke into the NHL last year after finally breaking out in the AHL)?

THere are more....but i won't list em.

I'm just really really really confused at some of these protection lists.

Brock 10-01-2003 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecca13
This is typical of teams that are setting themselves up to pick up a player in the waiver draft. Often they'll protect busts or players that will never play in the NHL again so they can expose one of them when they do take a legitimate player. It happens every year.

Yeah, it does, BUT not to this extent.

And IMO that's just a horrible way of going about the waiver draft. What if by the time you select, the player (s) you wanted are gone. Then the guys who were of decent quality that you left unprotected are gone and all you got to show for it is the fact that hey, we protected Ralph Intranuovo!

Mise well just protect those guys from the start and then, if you do see someone you want to select, then sure you drop them off the protected list then.

barrytrotzsneck 10-01-2003 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
Yeah, it does, BUT not to this extent.

And IMO that's just a horrible way of going about the waiver draft. What if by the time you select, the player (s) you wanted are gone. Then the guys who were of decent quality that you left unprotected are gone and all you got to show for it is the fact that hey, we protected Ralph Intranuovo!

Mise well just protect those guys from the start and then, if you do see someone you want to select, then sure you drop them off the protected list then.

the preds protected petr hubacek, pavel skrbek and marian cisar...none of whom will ever play in the NHL again. it gives us a bit of room to wriggle\pick some guys up.

Flames Draft Watcher 10-01-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
I'm just really really really confused at some of these protection lists.

Well I guess the most obvious answer that must be true in a fair percentage of the cases is that the teams are looking to dump the salary of these guys because a cheaper guy outplayed them in camp. Some of these top prospects make a whole lot more than lower picks or reclamation projects. A guy like Harvey who had 3 goals in 76 games last year looks overpriced at anything more than 500,000 I'd say, but I think he's actually making around 1.3 million. And you never know what kind of off the ice stuff, worth ethic or fitness dedication might turn a team off of a player who still had some upside. You can't invest a lot of money in a bubble guy who isn't taking it seriously. Who knows, but I'm sure they're out there for a reason.